Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images

SIMPLY LIGHT DESIGNS ASYM UQ TRAIL WINDER

I wanted to share a under quilt that Jared at Simply Light Designs now offers. Its a Asymetric synthetic under quilt made from Apex Climashield. Offered in 40 degree & 20 degree temp ratings with ion or argon fabric choices for a wind & water resistant all in one insulation system. It has insulation where you need it & none where you don't. No quilt burps letting hot air out & cold air in like traditional uq. No dialing in fiddle factor either.. Essentially another insulated hammock underneath your hammock. There is also center pulls with cord locks should you need to pull under quilt closer. Call it a synthetic wookie if you like but this things works awesome ...also NO pinching or affecting the diagonal lay as some uq tend to do.

IMG_E3364.jpgIMG_E3370.jpgIMG_E3365.jpgIMG_E3182.jpgIMG_E3183.jpgIMG_3191.jpgIMG_3190.jpg
    Last edited by ShortRound; 01-21-2019 at 14:02.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I have been looking at this for a while.

One question: Is it differentially cut?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    I have been looking at this for a while.

One question: Is it differentially cut?
    Best to contact Jared on that question
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Those look great, I've been eyeing them myself. Have you weighed yours yet?

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameth View Post
    Those look great, I've been eyeing them myself. Have you weighed yours yet?
    I don’t have a scale . But it is lighter than my full length down uq
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Does it have the ability to hang looser over another underquilt; or does it have to be pressed against the hammock? On the website, it's billed as a UQP- so I would imagine you could hang it over another UQ without compressing the loft.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Does it have the ability to hang looser over another underquilt; or does it have to be pressed against the hammock? On the website, it's billed as a UQP- so I would imagine you could hang it over another UQ without compressing the loft.
    This is where Jared's website info confuses people. Ok if you want just a uqp for your already existing uq go with the Trail Winder uqp. The uqp is simply a windbreaker / water resistant cover for the underside of your uq & hammock. If you want an Underquilt ...go with the Trail Winder under quilt. This is no different than a synthetic under quilt ...much like the Arrowhead KAQ offerings except the insulation is cut asymmetrically instead of a slab rectangle. So to visualize...the Trail Winder Apex climashield synthetic uq is similar to the WB wookie just not made with down & baffles. Lastly If you choose the Underquilt Trail winder you have the options of using the uqp fabric (ion or argon) for the ultimate combo of insulation & outer protection. As for setting up on a standard 11' hammock its pretty much hanging another "hammock " beneath the hammock...not much else to really adjust.. Help this helps.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    This is where Jared's website info confuses people. Ok if you want just a uqp for your already existing uq go with the Trail Winder uqp. The uqp is simply a windbreaker / water resistant cover for the underside of your uq & hammock. If you want an Underquilt ...go with the Trail Winder under quilt. This is no different than a synthetic under quilt ...much like the Arrowhead KAQ offerings except the insulation is cut asymmetrically instead of a slab rectangle. So to visualize...the Trail Winder Apex climashield synthetic uq is similar to the WB wookie just not made with down & baffles. Lastly If you choose the Underquilt Trail winder you have the options of using the uqp fabric (ion or argon) for the ultimate combo of insulation & outer protection. As for setting up on a standard 11' hammock its pretty much hanging another "hammock " beneath the hammock...not much else to really adjust.. Help this helps.
    Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the ends (if none exists) to allow for this. I was thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Or perhaps it would just be better to use the down UQ on the outside. This would alleviate compression issues- however you lose the benefit of having a UQP.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the end (if none exists) to allow for this. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Or perhaps it would just be better to use the down UQ on the outside. This would alleviate compression issues- however you lose the benefit of having a UQP.
    The ability to hang loosely would just mean adding cord to the end to make it fit looser. Should work just fine IMO
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    The ability to hang loosely would just mean adding cord to the end to make it fit looser. Should work just fine IMO
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking as well. It seems like this would be a great way to add a meaningful boost in temp rating- while still having a UQP. I just wanted to get some perspective from folks who are currently using this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast