Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Question plastic buckles for treehuggers

I've been using plastic buckle thingeys (4 in a $1 package at REI) to make loops on the ends of my polypro treehuggers for my DIY hammock. They're not the release kind. You just run the webbing one way and back through. There's a pic at http://www.msnusers.com/hikingjer/on...to&PhotoID=992

They're quick and easy to adjust loop size and webbing length to adjust sag. They're cheap and light. But their strength and slippage is questionable.

Have any of you all used this kind of plastic buckle? How long did they last? Did they ever crack from stress? Did they ever slip over the course of a night?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    I've been using plastic buckle thingeys (4 in a $1 package at REI) to make loops on the ends of my polypro treehuggers for my DIY hammock. They're not the release kind. You just run the webbing one way and back through. There's a pic at http://www.msnusers.com/hikingjer/on...to&PhotoID=992

They're quick and easy to adjust loop size and webbing length to adjust sag. They're cheap and light. But their strength and slippage is questionable.

Have any of you all used this kind of plastic buckle? How long did they last? Did they ever crack from stress? Did they ever slip over the course of a night?
    They will probably drop you on your at a very inopportune moment! They also may crack in extreme cold when under stress. Buy metal instead.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Not worth the risk. Use metal or something else much stronger.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i believe they call them tri glides. and no way would i trust them to support my hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    They're probably only good to around 70 pounds of pressure so I wouldn't trust them except on maybe a gear hammock or a VERY small child's hammock.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    I just used the DIY hammock with these plastic "tri glide" things on polypro webbing on an overnight hike to the Selkirk Mountains in northeast WA (close to the Canada and Idaho borders; trip report at http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961149if you're interested) for 1 night. 3 nights total with this rig. It has worked fine so far if I set the loops so there's not much pressure on them.

I was hoping somebody would tell me the plastic buckles would work just fine. No such luck. The plastic buckles are weak as I expected (but oh, so light!). Metal it will be.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!
    Last edited by hikingjer; 07-24-2007 at 21:08. Reason: hyperlink didn't take for some reason

Images
    how do you use them? it seems that if you wrapped the tree and the wraps took the load instead of the buckles, they could be weak, but this seems like it would defeat the purpose of using buckles though.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    I just used the DIY hammock with these plastic "tri glide" things on polypro webbing on an overnight hike to the Selkirk Mountains in northeast WA (close to the Canada and Idaho borders; trip report at http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961149if you're interested) for 1 night. 3 nights total with this rig. It has worked fine so far if I set the loops so there's not much pressure on them.

I was hoping somebody would tell me the plastic buckles would work just fine. No such luck. The plastic buckles are weak as I expected (but oh, so light!). Metal it will be.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!

• + New Posts