Greetings from Sweden

Hi everyone!

I'm a hammock newbie living in Sweden. I'm so much of a beginner that my hammock is still shipping.

I live in central Sweden where there are plenty of trees. I used to camp a lot in my youth but haven't been able to in a long time for health reasons. Now I want to do it again. I first planned for a tent, but since I have some issues with pain I need to sleep in some kind of comfort and I realized that a sleeping pad thick enough to give me that would weigh a ton.

Then it dawned on me - of course I should get a hammock! The options are more limited here in Europe than in the US, I think. And importing means extra costs. So for that reason and others I limited my choices to DD and Hennessy. I chose a Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip with a Hex fly. I hope I didn't make too poor a choice. I expect it to arrive tomorrow.

We have snow and temperatures close to -20 °C at times. So I won't be testing it for a while.

What's more to say? I'm not much of a walker anymore but I'm out cycling on my recumbent trike almost daily, year around. My hope is to be able to extend my trips in the summer so I don't have to return home in the evening. Most likely I'll be touring a neighboring county this summer.

I'm very excited over this. It'll be so much fun! But I fear I'll have a lot of newbie questions for you... ;-)

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Good luck with combining cycling & hanging during the warm summer months...and welcome to the forum, ThreeTracks.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Thank you, ofuros. This seems like a nice place.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    You'll enjoy hanging! Sweden must be amazing to backpack through. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you.

I think it Sweden is pretty great for camping. Because we have what's called "allemansrätten". I think it's called freedom to roam in English? Meaning everyone has the right to walk on any land, sleep a few nights in a place, pick berries and mushrooms and so on. As long as you don't go too close to dwellings or disturb. Of course there are restricted areas, military and other, but generally speaking all land can be accessed by anyone.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Welcome! Nice to have you here.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

A glimpse of Sweden

I don't find a forum for off topic (for everyone), so I post this here.

Swedish television is live-streaming from a moose migration, for several weeks it seems, beginning today.

Here is what they say:
    For several thousand years the moose have walked the same path to get to the rich pastures of summer. Follow the walk live from Kullberg in the north of Sweden.

I know of only one place called Kullberg. It isn't in the north really, more in the middle-west of the country, in a county called Värmland, known for its deep forests.

The show is supposed to be available from all over the world. Hope that's true. It's dark right now, but it's possible to view from the start of the day 1 airing (day 1 = dag 1 in Swedish). Hover the video and a time line will appear.

I fast forwarded through it and didn't see a single moose, so I guess they haven't started off yet. Just thought some of you may be interested in seeing a live glimpse of Swedish nature. It's a cool project, I think, even if really slow.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/2173300...15-apr-06-00-1

• + New Posts