Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Velcro slit irritation

We've recently had a customer contact us about the Velcro slit causing irritation or feeling abrasive to the skin. He had a Mod 2 done and also had the slit sewn shut.

We've corresponded and have told him our procedure about carefully aligning the velcro hook side to the fuzzy side before we sew it shut. He mentioned it felt like the hooks of the velcro were poking through. That's about all I know from his comments.

If it helps to know, on a Hennessy, the hook side of the velcro always points downward, to the outside of the hammock, the fuzzy side faces up, to the inside of the hammock.

The question is, has anyone else had issues with the velcro similar to this? I'd be particularly interested in whether anyone who has gotten the slit sewn shut having issues with the velcro. Some have asked to remove the velcro first, did that make a difference in the feel of the velcro slit?

I wouldn't think there would be any difference in the feel of the velcro just by sewing it shut. Actually, sewing in shut after carefully aligning it eliminates a problem with possible misalignment which might cause the velcro fuzzy side to be exposed, or ripples/buckles in the fabric caused by misalignment. That could be a potential irritation with bare legs for sure.

Trying to solve a problem for him...your help on this one is appreciated.
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    2Q,
    Years ago when I got my used Scout minus the netting, I tried just closing and stitching the opening. I had the same thing happen! It felt like there was something sharp poking through, even though I couldn't seem to actually nail down where exactly it was when I would try to look at it closely. Very strange.

It was a major pain, but I ended up ripping out the stitches where I had sewn it closed AND removing the velcro. What a job THAT was! After that, there was no problem.

When I modded my ULBA with a zipper, I removed the velcro before I sewed the slit shut...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just to clarify a couple of items.

I am the one who wrote in with a concern about the feeling of being 'poked'.

There are only 2 small sections of the velcro where it feels this way (perhaps 3" total in length). It is very near the bottom of the the slit, and only noticeable while moving my hand (or as I discovered, my left calf) along the length of the slit.

My initial thought was a few of the 'hooks' had poked through the material, but I have since been informed that the hooks point down, so it couldn't possibly be that.
    This really isn't an issue, just an observation.
    I will take some photos tomorrow and send them to 2Q/ZQ.

This is the second hammock I have had 2Q/ZQ modify, and am very pleased with the results.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    2Q,
    Years ago when I got my used Scout minus the netting, I tried just closing and stitching the opening. I had the same thing happen! It felt like there was something sharp poking through, even though I couldn't seem to actually nail down where exactly it was when I would try to look at it closely. Very strange.

It was a major pain, but I ended up ripping out the stitches where I had sewn it closed AND removing the velcro. What a job THAT was! After that, there was no problem.

When I modded my ULBA with a zipper, I removed the velcro before I sewed the slit shut...
    Very interesting! I wish we knew what the difference is.
    So strange, over the couple years of sewing the slit closed, my records show 22 having the slit sewn shut. Of the 22, 12 have had the velcro removed first. Maybe they will chime in as well. New issue for us, need NCIS to solve it I guess!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Just to clarify a couple of items.

I am the one who wrote in with a concern about the feeling of being 'poked'.

There are only 2 small sections of the velcro where it feels this way (perhaps 3" total in length). It is very near the bottom of the the slit, and only noticeable while moving my hand (or as I discovered, my left calf) along the length of the slit.

My initial thought was a few of the 'hooks' had poked through the material, but I have since been informed that the hooks point down, so it couldn't possibly be that.
    This really isn't an issue, just an observation.
    I will take some photos tomorrow and send them to 2Q/ZQ.

This is the second hammock I have had 2Q/ZQ modify, and am very pleased with the results.
    I wasn't going to mention you Rug, I'm more concerned with the problem you're having and finding a solution for you. Hopefully we will.

We didn't leave a pin still in place did we?
    Just kidding, Donna says she only pins when she removes the velcro first.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Maybe I'm just weird ... I've got the mods ... left the slit in place ... I've never had a problem with the slit ... on my Exped or my earlier first Hennessey's from back in 01.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    It may not have even been the actual velcro teeth poking through, since as 2Q said, it faces the other way, but one thing I remember noticing when I went to remove the velcro on mine was that the raw edges of the velcro strips were kind of unraveley. I remember thinking at that time that maybe a few of the edge 'hairs' had gotten pushed through the fabric.

This was a while ago that I got that Scout, so maybe they do things differently now, or use different omni-tape?

Has ZQ noticed anything like that on the velcro edges?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    It may not have even been the actual velcro teeth poking through, since as 2Q said, it faces the other way, but one thing I remember noticing when I went to remove the velcro on mine was that the raw edges of the velcro strips were kind of unraveley. I remember thinking at that time that maybe a few of the edge 'hairs' had gotten pushed through the fabric.

This was a while ago that I got that Scout, so maybe they do things differently now, or use different omni-tape?

Has ZQ noticed anything like that on the velcro edges?
    Well, she says she hasn't seen any velcro that had unraveled edges. Also, after aligning the velcro hook and fuzz on top of other properly, there is still 1/8" to 3/8" of fabric beyond the velcro tape on both sides! There is alot of variance in this from hammock to hammock. Point being, even if there were some unraveling going on with the velcro tape edges, it would have to extend beyond the fabric to be noticed.

I think the answer may lie in Rug's pictures of this area he's described. Thanks for your input Perkolady. You must work for NCIS? (I like that show)
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post

You must work for NCIS? (I like that show)
    No, but I'm a mom!

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Is the user in the hammock naked? How can you even feel the "slit" with a quilt or bag?

My lawn furniture might feel awkward if I were buck naked too but I don't send it back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast