tarp for hennessy hammock

I am hiking the at trail starting in March. I have an ultra lite backpacker and was wondering about replacing the fly with a larger rectangular size ? I also have an outdoor vitals insulated pad no under quilt . Any thoughts on tarps and sleeping with just a pad ? My other option is a MSR hubba hubba ? Thank you

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forum neighbor.

Most folks like a bit larger tarp than the stock HH tarps though many folks have gotten by with them. A cat cut hex tarp is the most common for hammocks as it gives a tighter pitch and saves a bit of weight over rectangle tarps with increased coverage over the small asym tarp HH offers stock.

Underquilts are also preferred in general over pads. Pads tend to shift and move a lot in a hammock and don't often come wide enough to provide good coverage around your shoulders.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

thank you I am not sure what a cat cut hex tarp is but I will look it up. My pad is insulated but have not used it yet in my hammock . I used it in oct nov and it was 20 degrees out and was fine . I will set up hammock starting in Feb and try it out . I just want to stay dry and try to cut weight

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo.4321 View Post
    thank you I am not sure what a cat cut hex tarp is but I will look it up. My pad is insulated but have not used it yet in my hammock . I used it in oct nov and it was 20 degrees out and was fine . I will set up hammock starting in Feb and try it out . I just want to stay dry and try to cut weight
    This is our Toxoway tarp...a pretty standard Cat Cut Hex tarp....Hexagon shape, catenary cut curves to cut weight and keep a tight pitch to the tarp.

A pad on the ground is different than in a hammock. Convective cooling changes how insulation preforms and the curvature/wrap of the hammock puts you in contact with the edges of the hammock higher up your sides. Do a lot of testing if you can.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo.4321 View Post
    Depends on what kind of hiker you are. If you are driving toward a daily mileage goal and will be hiking in the rain, then stick with the lighter stock fly. If you’re more likely to sleep in on a rainy day then the larger hex fly will make you more comfortable when you’re hanging around the camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

tarps look real good. My big concern is to stay dry and warm and to cut some weight .

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    i'm not a long distance hiker, but I have been using the same hammock/tarp combo that you have on early springtime week long mountain trout fishing trips for many years. I depart from a base camp to spend a couple days fishing till dusk then setup a simple overnight camp - back to fishing when it gets light out. I'm 5'9" 160lbs.

Some ideas:
    That tent/pad may be a good idea for March/April, then switch to hammock.
    A summer Hammock will still need some bottom insulation as well as needing bug protection from the bottom - when I used 30x36 pads I got bit on whatever body parts got off the pad. Currently I use the Hennessy SuperShelter - the Bottom Cover alone keeps all bugs off your backside.

I used 30"W x 36"L Closed Cell Foam pads in my HH for many years without issue. If your pad is 25" wide you're probably OK down to 25F or maybe 20F. If your pad is the 20" wide pad I think it will be too narrow unless you bring something else along for your shoulders.
    There is a recent post gathering info for UnderQuilts here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mp-Filling-etc

Stock Tarp is fine for short periods. I typically pitch mine with the hammock underneath in a snakeskin - but I have a DIY pole mod that opens it up quite a bit.
    Keep in mind I am a fair weather trout fisherman - not like your trip.

So Blogs/books might be your best bet for useful info. This young lady has some decent videos on gear selection:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQh...73qZhzqJz4VFcw

Last thought: The bug net on the Hennessy is too hot for me in the summer. For summer I prefer a gathered end hammock ($35), 3/4 UQ ($100), and Fronkey style bugnet ($50). I use my Hennessy tarp with this set-up as well.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

great info its suppose to be 45 degrees in idaho this weekend I will be setting up and sleeping in the yard. I to find the bug net warm in summer months . I could send it off and have a zipper installed ?? Any thoughts on that ?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Mine is the classic bottom entry without zipper - all stock except for Dutch Clips to make set-up/tear down easy.
    I don't see what/how the zipper would be a benefit in your case using a pad. The bugnet will still be hot in the summer and zippers are just one more thing to possibly have issues with. Keep it simple/stock.

FYI:
    I use my Hennessy in cool/cold weather - below 50F along with the SuperShelter ($100 when on sale or someone here may sell you one). It is lightweight, weather proof, and easy to beef up - but a little bulky (compared to a 3/4 down UQ).
    I prefer my gathered end, 3/4 UQ, and Fronkey Bugnet in warm/hot weather - above 40F.

You will experience it all on the AT. Damascus, Va Trail Days might be a good place to change to summer equipment. You'll be an expert by then.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 01-31-2019 at 19:14.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts