Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    Have you guys found a preference of 1.1 doubled vs 1.9 single layer?
    +1 on gmcttr's comment.

Now, I don't use pads, so all but one hammock I've made has been a single layer. Also, it's a function of weight. Many people can get by with a single layer 1.1 but others will need 1.9 to avoid having the material fail.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Thank you Knotty! The simplicity of this hammock, with no structural sewing and very clear instructions, made me much more confident of success. I haven't touched a sewing machine since I was ~10, playing with my mother's one on scrap cloth.

I thought I'd chime in with one specific lesson I learned about hems: For a beginner like me, with light slippery nylon ripstop (Dutchware's Argon 1.6), pinning the hems up first made the whole process take a fraction of the time with much better results.

Experienced sewers may find it easy folding over hems as they sew, but I was doing 4-6 inches, preparing the next section, and so on, and got an untidy hem with uneven width. For the end hems I changed strategy and prepared the whole length with pins every 6-8" to hold it in a good fold. Then I could whiz down the whole hem in one go, pulling pins out as I went, and the result was loads better, much faster including pinning time, and a fraction of the aggravation and stress.

I think I will be doing something to make the sides less floppy. Whether I shorten the edges or go with your shock-cord tightener I'm not sure. I took 4 yards, trimmed about 9" off (for stuff sacks), then cut off my first end-hem when I remembered I had to do the sides before the ends, and the end result between whippings is 10'9".

The gathered end knot of cloth was much smaller than I'd anticipated. That features had had me feeling this was a compromise design, but in fact it's <2" in diameter and really a non-issue aesthetically or functionally. I like the peace of mind of not relying on seam strength.

My bought hammock was over-subscribed, with my children and their friends wanting in so I never got to use it. I now see that having two hammocks does not solve this problem... I may be buying more cloth, webbing and Amsteel...

Thanks knotty, I was looking to buy my son and I's first camping hammocks but with so many to choose from and options, I thought my head would explode.
    I'd rather make something myself, so once I figure out what colors we want, I'm going to place an order.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Knotty for this great tutorial.

I have been toying with the idea of making my own hammock for about a year now. I have read this thread about twenty times, and I think I am ready to take the plunge. I plan to make six hammocks in total, two for my kids, and four for a giveaway at the end on the summer. I plan to build the four at eleven feet, while the other two at nine, and use 1.9 rip stop.
    I believe I can follow the direction at the beginning of this thread, but i need to know what thread should I use, and what stitch length is recommended? I have heard that you can actually weaken the fabric if too many stitches are made with the wrong thread.
    I will post some pictures of my projects as I start to work on them. I am waiting for materials as we speak.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

I am sure others will chime in but what I have found is the needle used is more important than the other items. Look for the smallest needle for the sewing machine that you can find easily available and buy a pack of them. Making the smallest hole in the nylon is very important since it doesn't act the same as standard fabrics. I then use the a thread that I can manage through the tiny needle. The thread per inch matters too but if you play with the machine you will find something that seems to have a balance between tight and loose stitching. Also set the bobbin tension so the stitching is balanced top and bottom. Check YouTube videos if you need a demo on the thread injection process.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Will zing it work for the whipping?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shaq67225 View Post
    Will zing it work for the whipping?
    It would, but it's overkill and I wouldn't advise it due to its poor knot holding properties. This is one of the few cases where paracord is a good candidate. I gutted my paracord when using it in this case. It just seems to lay better.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 cat cuts
    Insulation
    TBD
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Wow, i just read all 40 pages covering the past 5 years. Learned a lot and I am ready to make my own.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krazykev111 View Post
    Wow, i just read all 40 pages covering the past 5 years. Learned a lot and I am ready to make my own.
    Careful it's addictive.

BTW, you can change your number of messages per page. At 50/page there are only 8 pages
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Great tutorial, Knotty. After watching I was inspired to make one for my dad for father's day/his birthday. I made one for myself first as my experience with injecting thread was measured in seconds prior to this project and I wanted to get some practice before making his. got some 1.9 oz ripstop from ripstopbytheroll and some webbing, cinch buckles and amsteel from DIYgear supply. Made the straps and stuff sack following DIYGearSupply instructions and followed Opie's instructions for the continuous loop. Great wealth of knowledge here at HF. Everything went great on the first one and the kids and I took it for a little test on Sunday. My oldest helped sew the stuff sack and was pretty proud of her work. My dad's turned out great as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bryan

20150510_155001.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast