Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hi from Finland! (Not the Minnesota one...!)

Hi!

I'm a relatively new hammock camper from western coast of Finland. I've been a hammocker for less than a year, but already got me 2 hammocks* and 2 tarps!** I'm dying to wait to Spring to arrive, so I & my friend start the hiking season again. Currently it is a bit too dangerous due to heavy snow on trees...

What got me into hammocking? One lousy trip. Me and my friend were hiking, depending on wickets (if that's the correct word) so we could have a shelter of some sort of. Well, ALL of them were occupied, so we had to sleep on the ground with a slim sleeping pad and no cover over our heads, next to a campfire. We were freezing and got maybe 2 hours of sleep that night.

After that... well, he bought a tent. I on the other hand started browsing options.... and found hammocking. My friend teases me tho, saying I'm gone back in the evolution cycle by climbing back to trees, but I don't mind, because I know I'll sleep better anyway

* DD Hammocks Travel with waterproof base and bugnet & Ticket To The Moon Double
    ** DD Hammocks 4mX4m tarp and Varusteleka's Särmä Erakko tarp 2,5mX2,5m, they're Finnish military surplus store, but they make their own stuff too. (They ship worldwide btw... Sorry for a little ad )

Welcome to the madness and welcome to the forums. If hammocks are devolution, then I'm happily headed back in time too. Glad to have you aboard.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HammockForums! Wisconsin has a few Finns around, but not as many as Minnesota or Michigan. Not sure why.

I'm guessing that the word you are looking for is lean-to or hut instead of wicket. Around here a wicket is a small, narrow window or door in a ticket booth at a fair or sporting event, for example. I could understand what you meant though since you seemed to be describing a small wooden shelter of some sort. Looks like you have many options for free camping in Finland - beautiful country!
    The game is the best teacher.

Welcome from Minnesota.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Hah! You made the right call. And welcome!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm guessing that the word you are looking for is lean-to or hut instead of wicket. Around here a wicket is a small, narrow window or door in a ticket booth at a fair or sporting event, for example. I could understand what you meant though since you seemed to be describing a small wooden shelter of some sort. Looks like you have many options for free camping in Finland - beautiful country!
    Exactly what I meant! It's called laavu in Finnish and there are some available on hiking trails. I had to look from a dictionary for a translation, guess it wasn't fully correct after all...

And thanks to all of you for welcoming me!

"Fun Fact:" The more 'official' name for tarps are laavukangas in Finnish, word to word translation would be lean-to fabric. But we're lazy and call them tarppi instead.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Tentsile
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Images
    Welcome! There are many Finns here too where I live - in Turku region.

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Welcome! I've been to a shipyard in Pori and, like most business trips Ive been on, never got a chance to look round the town. Was nice, from what I saw of it.
    Best Kind

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Haapasaari View Post
    Welcome! There are many Finns here too where I live - in Turku region.
    How suprising. But hi!

Welcome! I've been to a shipyard in Pori and, like most business trips Ive been on, never got a chance to look round the town. Was nice, from what I saw of it.
    Well, the town itself isn't that special in my opinion. Then again I live here, so I might look at it different set of eyes than one who does not. :P But if you ever have a chance again, you should check Yyteri (a beach, probably near that shipyard you were at), it's the widest beach in Nordic countries plus it has a few hiking trails and plenty of chances to hang your hammock.

• + New Posts