Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensoro View Post
    Zuk are we talking about the same stuff? This a pretty soft foam, while bend and foldable, is soft and doesnt seem like it would kink like your describing. I have a sheet from gossamer gear thats 19x59 and tried under the hammock between the quilt and the hammock didnt notice any kinking. I did try it once inside the hammock under me and definitely didnt like the way it felt and grips, which prevents moving around easily. Thats why I thought of shock cording it under the hammock at an angle. The shock cord would hold it close but not have it gripping me.
    The stuff I had was actually Volara foam. I think it's made for putting under the padding of poker tables and other "soft" goods. I've heard the the foam like you describe is closer to something like neoprene (stretchy) so it's probably not as bad. At the end of the day though I've never been successful in being comfortable on a foam pad in the hammock. I tend to move around quite a bit and they always want to shift and end up in a bad position. My double layer Ridgerunner is kind of the exception. I can cram almost any pad in the sleeve for insulation and it works OK, but there's a layer of fabric between me and it.

Suspending it from the underside with bungee or similar you're basically describing the Hennessy "Supershelter" right?? They use a piece of reflectix type material (windshield reflector) and/or a foam and space blanket type of setup for insulation. I think it would work but just be kind of tricky to keep cinched up and avoid drafty spots.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    The stuff I had was actually Volara foam. I think it's made for putting under the padding of poker tables and other "soft" goods. I've heard the the foam like you describe is closer to something like neoprene (stretchy) so it's probably not as bad. At the end of the day though I've never been successful in being comfortable on a foam pad in the hammock. I tend to move around quite a bit and they always want to shift and end up in a bad position. My double layer Ridgerunner is kind of the exception. I can cram almost any pad in the sleeve for insulation and it works OK, but there's a layer of fabric between me and it.

Suspending it from the underside with bungee or similar you're basically describing the Hennessy "Supershelter" right?? They use a piece of reflectix type material (windshield reflector) and/or a foam and space blanket type of setup for insulation. I think it would work but just be kind of tricky to keep cinched up and avoid drafty spots.
    Yes, it is like a neoprene feel. At 1/8" thick its pretty easy to work with. I'm not familiar with a Hennessy Supershelter, I'll look that up.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I think that even though Evazote is a superior CCF foam, using a 1/8 inch pad is not going to do very much as an under insulation. I have 1/2 inch Evazote and it is okay for summer temperatures, but I prefer an insulated inflatable pad with a much better R value or a down/synthetic UQ. Probably work fine as a sit pad or a pack liner-dog bed though.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My experience with 1/8" Evazote suggests that Bubba, Zukiguy, and OlTrailDog are right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12