Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've been using a similar set up for a while. It has worked well with trees from 15 to 25 feet apart or so. I carry two extra lengths of Lawson Ironwire (which I use for the tarp ridgeline), if I find a situation where the all-in-one doesn't work well, I can easily convert to a CRL for the Tarp from the trees. Have not had to do this yet with about 10 nights in different locations.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    I've been using a similar set up for a while. It has worked well with trees from 15 to 25 feet apart or so. I carry two extra lengths of Lawson Ironwire (which I use for the tarp ridgeline), if I find a situation where the all-in-one doesn't work well, I can easily convert to a CRL for the Tarp from the trees. Have not had to do this yet with about 10 nights in different locations.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far! If I may ask, what would be a situation where the all-in-one wouldn't work well- in your estimation?

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far! If I may ask, what would be a situation where the all-in-one wouldn't work well- in your estimation?
    I have set up on trees that were just far enough for a good hammock hang say 13 feet apart where there is not enough room for the tarp to hang right on the all in one. 15 to 20 feet apart seems to be the sweet spot.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    I have set up on trees that were just far enough for a good hammock hang say 13 feet apart where there is not enough room for the tarp to hang right on the all in one. 15 to 20 feet apart seems to be the sweet spot.
    Gotcha. I think my setup only adds about 6" of cordage per side- so approx. one foot total additional length. My tarp is 11' on its own. I think as long as I keep my setup between trees that are at least 12" apart, I should be able to make it work. Of course, the considerations are basically the same as when I set up my tarp using a standard ridgeline suspension.

Yes, I have a 12' tarp so I need a bit more space.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Does it just work with smaller asym style tarps or would it work well with all shapes of tarps like a hex or some sort of winter tarp?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Do you think those prussics would work on daisy chains?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd1983 View Post
    Does it just work with smaller asym style tarps or would it work well with all shapes of tarps like a hex or some sort of winter tarp?
    I don't see why it wouldn't work with smaller tarps. As long as the tarp ridgeline length is longer than the span of your hammock, you should be fine.

But if you're really needing to pitch low- for side coverage reasons, it may not be ideal. As I mentioned earlier, you can hang the tarp more loosely along the ridgeline, then it will pull downward more when you stake out the sides.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rweb82; 02-07-2019 at 07:41.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    Do you think those prussics would work on daisy chains?
    It would probably depend on the style of Daisy chain. If you're talking something like the Eno Atlas straps, it probably wouldn't work well- due to how bulky they are. But you may get lucky and find that two of the Daisy chain loops are the right distance apart to accommodate the direct tarp connection. Another option would be to keep a shorter amount of cordage on each end of your tarp, and run it through one of the loops on each side, and tension it with something like Dutch Flyz, automatic trucker's hitch, etc... Essentially, you would use the Daisy chain loops as a tree replacement.

If you're talking about the woven Daisy chain straps- like the Spider ones sold by Dutch, the prusik loops would probably still work- because the unused loops lay flat more like traditional webbing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I really like this. I know others have posted on this setup before, but for some reason, this is the first time its simplicity/functionality has registered with me. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast