Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    So this whole concern about ground lines losing tension is essentially an urban legend? This concept really appeals to me. Not having to manage a long length of cord. It seems it would be easier to get the tarp height and position right on first try. We need a video of someone doing this with the tarp going up first and coming down last to show us nonbelievers it can be done.
    100% correct... with a caveat : YOUR SUSPENSION MUST BE 30° . If it's not, then "trigonometry happens" basically and you get a droopy tarp and/ or loose lines. Derick Hanson of " The Ultimate Hang " fame did a great video showing just this and even goes over said trigonometry in a simple, easy to understand way. He does it with a HH because that's how they come rigged, but it absolutely applies to any all-in-one suspension. Let me know if you have any questions! Hope the vid helps too!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUn6zPuyFU
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    100% correct... with a caveat : YOUR SUSPENSION MUST BE 30° . If it's not, then "trigonometry happens" basically and you get a droopy tarp and/ or loose lines. Derick Hanson of " The Ultimate Hang " fame did a great video showing just this and even goes over said trigonometry in a simple, easy to understand way. He does it with a HH because that's how they come rigged, but it absolutely applies to any all-in-one suspension. Let me know if you have any questions! Hope the vid helps too!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUn6zPuyFU
    That's a great illustration. Yes, essentially you have to make sure there is a greater difference in the angle of the hammock suspension to the angle of the tarp ridgeline to keep it from sagging while the hammock is loaded. Since I don't plan on ever hanging my hammock with the suspension pulled out parallel to the ground, I think I'll be fine.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    And like i mentioned above , using an AIO suspension with the SLD silny hammock catch all and snake skins on my tarp makes it possible to set up/ take down in the rain and snow while keeping my hammock and insulation bone dry. Setting up in the dark or when your tired from hiking all day also becomes much easier and requires way less fiddle factor as long as you get as close to 30°as you can. Last night I went out around 9:00 to take my rig down since my youngest daughter asked me to sleep inside "like a normal person" since it had just started to snow lol. All I had to do was skin my hammock in the SLD catch-all ( Snugpak UQ, Trail Winder UQ, -10° Burrow, 2 HG Econ pillows, Snugpak Snuggy pillow, RL light and down vest all inside w/ plenty of room to spare). Now I could take down the tarp and keep the rest dry. I removed the tarp stakes and hanked the line like normal then skinned the WL.11' Old Man Winter in its HG ION snake skin. All I had to do then was to undo the whoopies from the toggles and pull the webbing down.... DONE! Had I not taken the time to neatly hank the 6 guyouts and 4 panel pulls of Dutchware glowwire I could have been done in under 2 minutes easy. Getting the air out of the catch-all and hanking the cordage were the most time consuming steps. SLD makes the catch-all w/ an optional strip of noseeum to solve that problem though and using a my Chill Gorilla Hex tarp with its shock cord guyouts and no panel pulls solves the other. The AIO really is the easiest and fastest way!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Will these AIO suspensions work with any webbing?

Im currently using Dutchs' 1.5 spider webbing and have concerns this system will work well with my straps...

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Will these AIO suspensions work with any webbing?

Im currently using Dutchs' 1.5 spider webbing and have concerns this system will work well with my straps...
    The best answer is to test it out. My webbing is 2.4g/ft UHMWPE, and the prusiks hold very well with only three wraps. Try it and see if it works. Or you may find that you need a couple more wraps to make it hold. I think the difference in diameter between the webbing and cordage is probably sufficient for allowing the prusiks to "bite" into the webbing.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    I just grabbed one from MyersTech.....

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've been using a very similar setup for at least two seasons...

The tarp to strap connection point has the addition of a length of zingit with a hook worm attached. The hook worm clips to the tarp ridge line. With this addition you can adjust the tarp height using the prussik, and then tension it using hook worm. This allows you get the tarp down into storm mode or up high. Since I use this setup primarily with a UL Asym with three different ridge tie outs, having the ability to vary the ridge length connection is paramount

With a 12' tarp you're ability to get down low in storm mode is limited but the ridge length... I've found this SLS system works best with shorter tarps.

Below is a pic of how I have it rigged. The hook worm hooks under a button knot tied on the ridge tie out point (I have them on all of my tarps). The zingit attaches to the Dynaglide prussik which also has a diamond knot. Admittedly, that's a bit of overkill, but it allows the easy removal of the tarps zingit connection. I used to use the double whoopie hook like a Dutch Speed Hook, but have since ditched that...

This setup can be used with a traditional ridge line setup (not in SLS configuration) with the hammocks CL looped around the Dynaglide diamond knot on the prussik and a becket hitch tied around the body of the purssik slider... works a charm.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    That's a nice setup as well!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I've been using a very similar setup for at least two seasons...

The tarp to strap connection point has the addition of a length of zingit with a hook worm attached. The hook worm clips to the tarp ridge line. With this addition you can adjust the tarp height using the prussik, and then tension it using hook worm. This allows you get the tarp down into storm mode or up high. Since I use this setup primarily with a UL Asym with three different ridge tie outs, having the ability to vary the ridge length connection is paramount

With a 12' tarp you're ability to get down low in storm mode is limited but the ridge length... I've found this SLS system works best with shorter tarps.

Below is a pic of how I have it rigged. The hook worm hooks under a button knot tied on the ridge tie out point (I have them on all of my tarps). The zingit attaches to the Dynaglide prussik which also has a diamond knot. Admittedly, that's a bit of overkill, but it allows the easy removal of the tarps zingit connection. I used to use the double whoopie hook like a Dutch Speed Hook, but have since ditched that...

This setup can be used with a traditional ridge line setup (not in SLS configuration) with the hammocks CL looped around the Dynaglide diamond knot on the prussik and a becket hitch tied around the body of the purssik slider... works a charm.
    My initial test of the AIO system was to attach a key ring to each prusik, and then just run my split ridgeline through those and tension everything via the plastic toggles (kinda like tarp flyz). This allows for height adjustability as well. But then I decided to try a direct connection to see how I like it. So far so good. I may end up adding a small length of zing-it to the ends of my tarp, in case I want it higher; but I've been pretty happy with the height of the direct connection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast