Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    At least it's a bridge... unlike the REI bridge(s).
    Looks like it won't get funded regardless so not much to worry about.

Nothing really new here... but looks like things were at least packaged well in terms of highlighting some features of other models.

Simplest thing to say- is that it's a hiker dad/bic bridge in that it is just a rolled webbing design with no endcaps. Simple and cheap to build.

To be fair- the only relatively original item is adding the webbing slot onto a pole tip so that the pole tip can act as the receiver of the spreader bar... that gives you a hardware connection like the Ridgerunner or BMBH but cuts out a piece.
    I have not seen anything exactly the same commercially but I'd put that more in the 'custom hardware' rather than innovation slot personally.

As WBJohn mentioned- the variable length poles is semi-unique (but something the Ridgerunner used to do).
    Playing with spreader bar sizes, or even custom trimming them for users is common enough... but if you're not a bridge nerd with a pile of poles handy that is a hard thing to play with so I suppose nice to have them in the bag to start.

This would actually let you do something I describe to others when explaining other end bar models.
    If you start with two 36" poles you'd have a BMBH.
    If you did a 48" head pole and 24" foot pole you'd get a version of the ridgerunner.

As far as the cat cut ends... that doesn't actually do anything for the user... especially in an end bar bridge.
    In my recessed bar bridges you can feel that line of force naturally occur which helps create a line of tension you can use as a neck pillow for back sleepers. But you can only take advantage of that geometry if you have an end bar... so useless on this one.
    I suspect given the engineering emphasis that:
    1-The cat cut looks cool and technical.
    2-The cut lets them do the transition from sides to ends a bit more cleanly to form the tie out point for the end webbings.
    3-When playing in the 3d modeling software they may have been encouraged to create that shape- especially if you don't think of it as a cut out, but an added on piece to an other wise straight ended bridge.

It is very heavy... My Big Guy Bridge is 2lbs 4 ounces. They mentioned a lighter version at 3lbs and a stock of 4lbs.
    That's about on par with that REI couch thing that sucked badly and with the Chrysalis or some other bombproof items.
    They won't be able to really cut that down as they have some structural issues I see that the heavy webbing/poles are solving for them... they'd have to revisit the design to lighten it up.
    Bridges as a lounging device is always a dubious prospect, especially a rolled webbing design.

They pitched their own product incorrectly a few times in the video too which is always a tough way to go...

This is not realistically a trail worthy product but would at least provide a good nights sleep compared to the REI couch, a poorly set up ENO/amazon special, or other products. But folks haul their Amok so who knows...
    It appears to be a functional bridge hammock at an acceptable cost for a casual user to toss a pad into and use.
    Given the fairly small 'models' it's hard to say if it would work well enough for a bigger fella who wanted a bridge without spending big money... but there is some potential with the 4' bars if the rest of the structure is there.

It isn't awful, nor is it really intended for anyone here.
    I don't see anything you could patent, but it's not my money to waste trying.

As the boom of younger folks who crawled into a starter hammocks for cheap has grown.. you're going to see those who stuck around and enjoyed it look for more sophisticated products. At first glance a bridge looks strange but they did an okay job of pitching it to the starter hammock crowd. The cottage camping hammock users here are long past many of the surface debate points they made... but your average college kid might not be.

Remember somebody at REI thought that couch thing made enough sense to bring to market... if anything this is a better version of that concept and would fit right in at your standard car camping basecamp setup your typical REI customer might have... so I'm a bit more cynically objective about stuff like this. It may not be our market, but it does have a market.

So to an extent... seeing someone going for it (even if doing it poorly) is a bit encouraging for me. At least the idea of a bridge is growing so from a self interest point of view that's good seeing as I build a few that are pretty darn nice.

I agree with some of the bridge vs gathered end ideas... but comparing with a poorly pitched cheapie hammock is not going to win over anyone here. Though bridges in general are still fairly unknown and likely a few folks reading this thread just saw a bridge for the first time. Most people associate them with spreader bar hammocks (there's a bar, must be the same) so often bridges get dismissed on first glance or confused with that 60's backyard staple.

There are people who do struggle with a gathered end, even if there are many here who don't. Bridges can offer some relief for that... not everyone plops into a GE hammock and agrees there is a sweet spot to be found.

In general... in choosing a hammock at all you are already willing to trade comfort for ounces... a bridge user is just willing to go a little further on that scale if they didn't find relief in the GE.
    There is a decent argument to make for a bridge when you need a sleeping pad based system that will realistically let you switch between ground and air. Bridges tend to do that a bit better... and while it's easy enough to say that YOU won't go where you can't hang... some people do enjoy hammocks but would not stay away from a trip just because there is a night or two they need to sleep on the ground with a nice pad to visit that area.

In my opinion one solid way to sell a bridge is to reduce the weight impact of that change for backpackers. With some of my stuff easily clearing 16 ounces and slowly sneaking back to 12 ounces... that trade off isn't quite so bad if you do have some gathered end frustration. If you don't... you're already happy and there is nothing to sell you on. But there are lots of folks on the backpacking side of things who are intimidated, frustrated, or just plain annoyed with gathered end hammocks. A bridge can be a better solution for those folks if you don't ding them too much on weight. While they look foreign to long term gathered end hangers... to a backpacker used to sleeping on a pad... looks like a sweet way to get your *** out of the mud and use the pad you already own. No diagonals to find and you can skip looking up calf ridge, learning about UQ adjustment, or sorting through a huge glossary of terms. Bridges can cut through a lot of the learning curve for those aspiring to leave the ground.

The other way is to sell something unique... The Amok, the 90*, or my Luxury Bridge... you're selling a different sleep experience that will always find a limited audience.
    With my Big Guy Bridge you're selling a floating cot that you can still take backpacking and sleep in comfortably if you're bigger than average.

So this hammock... meh. Nothing new here. Nothing to poop on really either other than perhaps poor presentation and a lack of knowledge about the product/market.

But overall... I think there is a lot of very exciting things happening with hammocks and expect to see more stuff like this.

A decade or two ago... the cottage backpacking industry blew up. We saw alot of neat stuff, then a little stagnation, then a big afterboom as the second and third waves of cottage guys got involved.
    I think we're right in the middle of that with hammocks as some of the second and third wave folks are showing up...
    That boom of eno/amazon cheapie buyers... some will pass with the fad... but lots will get hooked, get sophisticated, and continue on to here.

At the core of all the fad type outdoor activities is camping... at the core of that has always been a better way to sleep. So what ever fad you're chasing from fat tire bikes, climbing, slack lining, or whatever gets you out to start... everyone needs a decent place to sleep and hammocks tend to hook folks more readily than other items do. That and we all get older, lol. You can sleep anywhere on anything when you're 20... not so much as you hit 30 and beyond.

Not everyone can do a gathered end... no point in giving them a hard time about it if they want or need a bridge... just get them a better bridge.
    Much like there was no point in me giving gathered end users a hard time about giving up on sleeping on the ground when that got too tough... even if a sleeping pad is lighter... if it doesn't do the job for you then it doesn't matter how 'light', 'best', or 'amazing' someone else thinks it is.

As many of us backpackers used to say- HYOH... which stood for hike your own hike before this hammock thing came around.
    Needs change, we get older, get hurt, take different trips or flat out get bored with the stuff we use. The xtreme ultra light boom is over.. but as a result all gear is way lighter and there is now a pound or two to spare for those who want to 'splurge' on a good night's sleep.

Even if you make really nice stuff, not everyone wants to buy it... so there will always be a kickstarter or knock off around too from someone who thinks they can do better. And there will always be a slick marketing guy telling you how all your problems will be solved for one easy payment of $xx.99 too.

Hanging will be hanging around for a good bit... lots of folks are chomping at the edges looking to join in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hey HYOH. There are a lot of people that have purchased the Eno's that will likely try this as well. A 4lb hammock is just about right for these shoppers.

Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11’ Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks heavy.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The "lightweight" version is "2-3 pounds"

OK there's a market for that, but once again it seems that people launch into hammock design without doing any homework.

Although I'm happy with my various GEs and and am not a wool-dyed bridge hammock person, I have a test version of one of JB's designs and it weighs 9.84 oz (0.615 lb) with suspension, and that's with 1.6 Hexon. I'm using my own DIY trekking poles as spreader bars, and also made a pair of CF spreader bars that weigh 5.5 oz, so a teensy bit over a pound for the whole enchilada. And this is a pretty robust setup for someone about 6'/200# or under.

It is in fact my first bridge and I'm waiting on warmer weather to do some 1-night test trips, but I've played with it a fair amount and am very impressed with the design touches and attention to detail.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMard View Post
    Looks heavy.
    Indeed. But they also claim it’ll handle 400 lbs if I’m reading that correctly. Not terrible for local / car camping / home hanging maybe?

I might be way off but I get the impression that weight (Of a given bridge hammock) is a limiting factor in how much weight bridges usually end up being rated for (Most often 250 lbs max).

Although we do have Just Bill pushing that envelope.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Looks like it won't get funded regardless so not much to worry about.
    I wonder why this thing isn't garnering enthusiastic funding - there have been crappier things that were able to get funded. Ten days to go and they're only got 23 backers, with only $3,127 pledged of the $25,000 goal.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most hammocks are not adjustable, and they droop in the middle making your body curve in an unfamiliar way. We re-imagined the hammock and solved this problem
    How about they learn how to use a GE hammock first. Of course a GE hammock with droop in the middle if you do not lay at an angle in the hammock. They are creating a solution to a problem that does not exists. Reminds me of a new hammock company a year or so ago that advertised that they had invented a brand new suspension system. The new suspension system was nothing more than whoopie slings.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    They won't be able to really cut that down as they have some structural issues I see that the heavy webbing/poles are solving for them... they'd have to revisit the design to lighten it up.
    If it's something you can explain easily, I'd love to hear a couple examples of those structural issues and how the heavy webbing/poles are solving them.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I wonder why this thing isn't garnering enthusiastic funding - there have been crappier things that were able to get funded. Ten days to go and they're only got 23 backers, with only $3,127 pledged of the $25,000 goal.
    I haven't seen any advertising for it, and it's not on backerclub. Without one of those, getting the funding really seems to be luck of the draw. Especially if it doesn't hit some of that luck in the first 24 hours.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Indeed. But they also claim itÂ’ll handle 400 lbs if IÂ’m reading that correctly. Not terrible for local / car camping / home hanging maybe?

I might be way off but I get the impression that weight (Of a given bridge hammock) is a limiting factor in how much weight bridges usually end up being rated for (Most often 250 lbs max).

Although we do have Just Bill pushing that envelope.
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    If it's something you can explain easily, I'd love to hear a couple examples of those structural issues and how the heavy webbing/poles are solving them.
    There really are no limits on what you can do with a bridge hammock unless you as a designer set them.
    Bridge is short for suspension bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_bridge

The fabric is the deck. In the bridge hammock, the fabric is also technically acting as the vertical suspension cables as well as the deck if you wanted to directly compare to a suspension bridge. The Amsteel or webbing edges are the primary suspension cable and the spreader bars (poles) are the towers.

So the simple answer is... beef up the components and you can beef up the whole thing.
    In practice, this has limits in both directions with the exception of the tower/spreader.

If the spreader bar is not strong enough, it will collapse. But if it is too strong it has no negative consequences other than weight of the finished hammock. The other components transfer force to the bars... but the bar being too strong doesn't put force back onto the other parts.

In theory- if you had strong enough fabric you could reduce or eliminate some of the suspension, but that can create some other problems. But so long as the fabric can take the load you apply to it without failure... it's job then becomes distributing that load to the suspension without tearing out of the suspension itself.

The suspension does most of the work. It's flexibility allows it to move with a shifting load so if you're talking amsteel, steel cable or webbing... it needs to be flexible rather than rigid. Really it's the key to the whole system as it works as a load collector, shock absorber, and load distribution device. So long as the connection to the decking (fabric) is solid then over building it can solve many other design problems by simple dint of a large safety factor.

If you feel like I dodged part of the question... there are some things I'd call proprietary... or at least hard won knowledge.
    So more specific structural issues like suspension ratios and overall design I won't get into. It's easy to build strong heavy stuff. Not sure Dynaglide will hold you- just use 7/64 amsteel. Not sure how to properly sew something... use heavier materials. If you are not attempting to hit a low pack weight... you don't need to do those things. If you are willing to walk a design over the edge of cliff until it fails... then take two steps back from that edge... you can identify very specific structural issues that let you balance it out.

Back to Sloanie's point...
    https://www.rei.com/product/113720/e...0-sleeping-pad

This puppy is a portable bed. Much like many here are home hangers... I know of some dirtbag climbers, hikers, etc who live full time on sleeping pads. There are cots, or even things like an aerobed that all run in that category of 'portable bed'.
    For a few hundred bucks they represent an investment for some... with a more practical application than a $400 bridge might.

So... time for designer limitations.
    If I am only building something for car camping... might be fair to myself and my customers to examine the alternatives.
    Does a 4lb bridge hammock that will require a custom UQ or air pad inside it, a tarp, and all the trimmings make a lot of sense?
    Especially as many public parks have limited trees or access to hang? Or does it make more sense to just plop down a portable bed?

Sure you could add another component in a hammock stand... but the size of your bridge also increases the distance between trees... which also increases the load on the stand... which means this bridge won't fit on any commercial stand and would require a pretty heavy duty stand to go with it. So now that you have $1000+ worth of crap that filled your trunk so you could hang your monster bridge on your car camping trip... again what was the point?

I used to sleep in a portaledge at home since I owned one... about the same weight, about the same problems, about the same cost to use. It was kinda fun... but that wore off after a summer and it was a pain in my butt.

Ultimately, as a designer I have chosen to limit myself to backpacking equipment. I also work in both extremes of backpacking...

Even if backpacking is only walking in a few miles to your remote hunting, fishing camp, or base camp... you still need to carry your gear on your back. It needs to be reasonable in weight, pack size, and function for what you need to do, yes you are interested in comfort, but when you may already have 10-20lbs of sport specific gear along... your base gear can't be excessively heavy.

On the other extreme: In the case of FKT/Speed Hiking... it needs to be screaming light and provide something special that helps your trip. That may mean a fast hike of the Florida trail where you literally cannot sleep on the ground and must be able to sleep where ever you stop for the night... floating above the swamp in your bridge, or sleeping on your pad on a rock hard trail with no trees around for miles.

For Car camping-
    I've slept on that megamat or similar. I'd be more inclined to spend $200 on that, plop it down and be done. It's easy, one and done, and comfortable. Other than 'doing it to do it' there isn't much point in setting up some party trick piece of gear to impress my campmates.

For the customer...
    I weigh 230 pounds or so... I get hip pain in my Big Guy bridge when I sleep on my side. A portaledge or an over built bridge isn't much better than a bad cot. When you overbuild... the product is hard as a rock. When you underbuild it fails or is too droopy.

I think most here understand the importance of fabric. Very few people are truly comfortable in a hammock made too far outside the comfort rating of a given fabric in either direction. Too firm or too stretchy is too bad.

A bridge rated for 400 pounds if you only weigh 160 isn't likely to be much fun for you to use. I think more hammock vendors in general seem to be agreeing that 'comfort rating' is much more important to the user than 'maximum load'.

Bridges at their best are a balancing act.
    Fabric just strong enough to support you without blowing out or hurting you.
    Suspension just strong enough to smoothly transfer your load.
    Poles just strong enough to still be packable and easy to manage.

As a designer... nothing lighter than a pad and top quilt. Less is less.

Go to a gathered end... and you need a good bit of fabric to do the job. As the fabric gets longer, it needs to be stronger. As you look for a deeper diagonal lay, it needs to get wider. Your UQ needs to be more complicated, your tarp bigger.
    So while I enjoy a good 11' XL gathered end here and there... there is still something to be said for the idea of a small 4x9 that you can inline sleep in if you are talking weight and function objectively. Especially if you are considering the total system.

Go to a bridge... and you need less fabric than a gathered end, but more poles and suspension.
    But you need a smaller UQ with less suspension, perhaps a narrower tarp, and perhaps there are other ways to reduce the total system weight like combing trekking poles or some other tricks. As you consider the total system things might not be so bad as they appear at first glance. They may even slowly tip in favor of a bridge at times...

If you have some issues... it's easy for many here to see that a 4x9 inline banana hammock ain't going to cut it. So the simple gathered end expands and grows into an official 'Camping Hammock' and the little guy gets relegated to 'pocket hammock' suitable for short naps and rests. Course UL nutjobs call this 'feature creep'... where you take the core product at it's most elemental and stripped down... then slowly add small features or improvements. Driving up cost, complexity and weight of the finished products.

At the end of the day...
    Some of us are tinkerers and like playing with our kit, fiddling with knots, suspensions, or tricking things out.
    Some of us what the least hassle possible and don't want gear to get in the way or impact our style of trip.
    Some of us are gram weenies who care more about the spreadsheet weight than real life use.
    Some of us only care about real life use and could give a crap what things weigh.
    Most of us are a blend of all those extremes.
    All of us just want to lay down and feel decent when we wake up.

Ideally when it's done right... nobody cares about the gear itself and focuses on the trip.
    I don't remember ever passionately discussing my sleeping pad. I advised folks who asked on which worked and why.
    Good gear does it's job and gets out of your way.
    As I got older and life beat me up... the ol pad didn't work so great anymore.

I'm passionate about people going outdoors. So if they can't go or can't sleep that's a problem I'm passionate about.
    Generally getting older and a reduction in backpacking go hand in hand with lightening up to keep moving.
    So I still consider pack weight a priority if the priority is to get people out, so if you're needing a more robust sleep system I do my best to ensure you don't get hit too hard for it and it still makes sense.

I get being passionate about hammocks better now than I did a few years back, especially as I hear from more folks who were staying home and are back out as a result. Chronic pain is no fun either, and any relief is a cause for celebration.

I sleep in a hammock almost every night... because I build them. There is nothing wrong with the memory foam mattress I bought and slept in for a year straight when I first moved from Illinois to Indiana. I missed sleeping outside more than I missed the hammock. I enjoy testing hammocks, and believe in using something personally for a minimum of thirty days before I'll even ask a tester to use it. I also believe in using gear at home before you are willing to take it in the field. But other than the customers of mine who have chronic pain issues... I ain't trying to replace your bed.

So I still try hard to keep the perspective that it's just gear.
    There needs to be a good reason to choose it, buy it, and ultimately put it in your backpack.
    To me that's the true mark of a piece of gear and why I remain committed to backpacking minded solutions.
    There are plenty of practical solutions for car camping out there. For less fuss and less hassle if you're objective about it.

But backpacking is different in my eyes. And Ultralight is nothing new.
    Probably read too much Horace Kephart when I was a kid and still see the wisdom in his art.

“To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.” – HORACE KEPHART, Camping and Woodcraft, 1917

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I actually think the hourglass shape is a good idea and would be interested in giving it a try.

The downside is that it's a bridge hammock. I'm a trekker first, hammocker second. GE hammocks just work better for the ultrlighter in the wilderness. GE's also work better for my other two outdoor hammock requirements: sitting upright-ish (for morning tea time), and sitting in high-back Sofa Mode.
    That hourglass body is not new. It's been around this forum a few years like the Grizz Ariel Bridge and others.

I do however like how the spreader bar is farther from the body, as far as looks. I would not like to have a constant breeze though unless it was hot outside to cool me off. There is a market for everything, IMO, as long as it doesn't steal and reintroduce as their own.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast