HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Lightbulb Keeping your UQ pulled up & locked in place : easy DIY ridgeline "quilt hooks"

This simple trick will keep your UQ locked in place on your feet and shoulder all night without any sliding and will help keep it pulled up against your backside by changing the angle of the primary suspension. It can be done with a bugnet on as well, just clip each side of the S biner to the primary suspension over the net or winter cover. It might slide down towards the foot end slightly but will do more to keep the quilt in place than without having it. I briefly show this being done in my Sub-Zero hammock set up video. If you missed it, it's posted below as well. Let me know if you have any questions! This little trick will make a HUGE difference in how your UQ hugs your backside and keeps it from moving AT ALL!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUtMfAtsSEQ

And here's part 3 in the series : my cold weather clothing system:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAjvOoX0ydg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Pretty nice Chessy, thanks. Is this what triangle thingies from AHE are for also??

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    Pretty nice Chessy, thanks. Is this what triangle thingies from AHE are for also??

Welcome. Yep, triangle thingies do the same thing.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Very nice. So when are you going to jump on and try out vapor barriers for your clothing system. I’ve found that with the HG quilts, I really don’t need much clothing for layering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've been thinking about it after reading the recent posts on it.

Images
    I would imagine this does not work with integrated bug nets (like WBBB).

I did come up with a workaround: attach a separate line above the ridgeline with two knots in it, each keeping a ribbon or mini-biner.

However, 2 years ago i took the nuclear option and just converted my quilt to clews and vastly prefer that to any workaround. No more taco-blanket. Narrow blankets can still slide side to side and benefit from an anchor on one of the hammock tieouts.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Yep, I do exactly the same thing - a small loop prussiked near each end of the ridgeline, holding a small s-biner to hold the UQ suspension. Works well with a fronkey bugnet. Not suited to an integrated bugnet.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post

I did come up with a workaround: attach a separate line above the ridgeline with two knots in it, each keeping a ribbon or mini-biner.

However, 2 years ago i took the nuclear option and just converted my quilt to clews and vastly prefer that to any workaround. No more taco-blanket. Narrow blankets can still slide side to side and benefit from an anchor on one of the hammock tieouts.
    Brand new to this intriguing world of not sleeping on the ground. Laid in a hammock for the first time during some “practice” set ups over the weekend. I have an integrated, non-removable bug net. I expect bugs will be out nearly every time I use it. Doubtful I’ll bother spending the money for a 2QZQ Mod when I can just buy a netless. HG top and bottom quilts haven’t arrive yet to play with them. I’ll have about two weeks with them before I’m planning to rely on them a couple weeks of being voluntarily professionally homeless in NC.

Recommended solution is add a “ridgeline” outside of the bug net? I want to minimize the amount of time spent setting up and tearing down to get as much uninterrupted sleep with the hours available.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post

However, 2 years ago i took the nuclear option and just converted my quilt to clews and vastly prefer that to any workaround. No more taco-blanket. Narrow blankets can still slide side to side and benefit from an anchor on one of the hammocieouts.
    Believe it or not, it does still work on a hammock with a net or winter cover. All I do is attach the primary to the S biner with one line on each side and just let it rest on top. I've yet to have any issues with the netting being messed up from the biner rubbing against it. I also do it with the winter cover on my XLC. It just rests on top. Due to it not being larks headed to the RL it might slide " fore" or "aft" some once you get in and move around, but it will eventually come to a spot where the tension will hold it in place before it slides all the way down to the end of the hammock. However, it still keeps the UQ pulled UP and locked in place more than if it weren't attached at all so it's still helpful. I've used those regular old cheap colored aluminum mini biners as well with the same effect. The only place I don't use one is on the head end of my XLC. Due to the shape of its net/cover plus the UQ and I being much closer to the head end , the primary suspension angle is already fairly steep and there isn't much room to have it clipped up even more. But other than that, I'll use one on the foot end of all my hammocks , w/ and w/o a net or cover. In the video link below the one posted above I show it briefly on the foot end of my XLC. I also run the suspension of my UQP through it and it snugs the ends around the hammock body helping to seal it up and keep it in place during heavy winds.

• + New Posts