SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    The Trail Winder worked great last night! Once I got it stacked on the Snugpak and the sides adjusted right it stayed in place all night with no drafts getting between the two. Having the added insulation only where it was needed still kept me just as warm. I still wonder if some of the lower rated TW's will provide enough side protection w/o the added insulation to help create more of a microclimate and block wind. I guess it's a non issue though since its essentially a synthetic wookie and they are used below zero with no complaints. I do notice the lack of side protection in my RR though since there is nothing to block wind blowing across your TQ at all if you aren't using a tarp. The TW did great though and I'm super happy with it so far. Can wait to use it on its own when it's warm enough, I can see it being my go-to UQ in a lot of situations. If your on the fence about it, give it a shot! You won't be disappointed! I do wish I would have gotten the longer suspension, but adding the shock cord loops worked perfect once I got them the right length.
    I've had this on my radar since you and ShortRound posted your videos. So as a standalone quilt in above 40 degree temps, you'd recommend? I'm contemplating it as my summer quilt in 50-70 degree weather.
    Last edited by bcliff; 02-10-2019 at 21:14. Reason: added info

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    I've had this on my radar since you and ShortRound posted your videos. So as a standalone quilt in above 40 degree temps, you'd recommend? I'm contemplating it as my summer quilt in 50-70 degree weather.
    Apex Climashield is whats used in all the KAQ from Arrowhead Equipment. I was an owner of the jarbidge uq. I can vouch that the synthetic insulation will work as intended & its temp rating. That same insulation is whats used in the Sld Trail Winder. I have both a 20 & 40 degree version & have used each one for its intended temp rating as a stand alone uq. Works Perfect as intended.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    Absolutely. As SR said, the CS in this quilt is the same insulation that other cottage manufacturers use in their synthetic UQ's. If your not used to CS or only have down quilts, at first it might seem like they didn't use the right weight and the quilt is abnormally thin. This is just do to the properties of CS and it not being as lofty as an equally rated down quilt. Fear not though, and trust that even the 1" of loft that the 40° ,CS apex 3 .6 provides is enough to keep most comfortably warm at its rating. There is no " overfill %" like a down quilt so the rating is more of a hard limit than an equally rated, cottage made down quilt. That said though, CS is great for all temps and better when wet, it just doesn't compress as much when you get into the higher weights like 6.0, 7.5 and 10 . Cutting out the excess by having it asym only might make this UQ compress the same at lower ratings though. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone can test this . If so, I would def get a 7.5 or 10 for use when hiking in wet conditions or hanging here at home since I'm on the water. Overall though, the TW is a great piece of kit to have I think and has worked perfectly for me so far..
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

THE parcel arrived from Jared a few days ago, a 20* trail winder 9' in black Ion!

Set up on the Boone half shell hammock from Sheltowee, a really nice airy summer hammock!

I have made my own suspension adjustments with the trail winder did this with the Wooki so l can swap to other hammocks of different lengths!

Jared kindly added an inch or so of insulation for the width, l move and roll about a fair bit.

The side cinches at easy reach are great application for that snugging in to that of a traditional quilt, a fine tuning to how much for line tension.

The trail winder is a beauty! IMG_3362.JPGIMG_3368.jpg

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    THE parcel arrived from Jared a few days ago, a 20* trail winder 9' in black Ion!

Set up on the Boone half shell hammock from Sheltowee, a really nice airy summer hammock!

I have made my own suspension adjustments with the trail winder did this with the Wooki so l can swap to other hammocks of different lengths!

Jared kindly added an inch or so of insulation for the width, l move and roll about a fair bit.

The side cinches at easy reach are great application for that snugging in to that of a traditional quilt, a fine tuning to how much for line tension.

Looks good!.Your gonna love it. For me it's soooooooo nice having an Argon 90 "shell" with asymmetrical Apex.3.6 to use on its own or stacked to supplement my other synthetic UQ's or stacked to use as a UQP. Mine did great stacked on my Snugpak so far. I can see it's easily gonna be my go-to UQ this summer too....especially when I have to carry a synthetic quilt but need to cut weight and/or don't have a lot of extra room in my pack.This is one versatile piece of kit and I can definitely see it making its way into quite a few HF members packs in the near future. Jared hit a homerun with this one that's for sure!.ENJOY and keep us posted!
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 02-14-2019 at 21:51.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images

Wonderful! Along with that beautiful Sheltowee Hammock!Happy hanging!
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Looks good!.Your gonna love it. For me it's soooooooo nice having an Argon 90 "shell" with asymmetrical Apex.3.6 to use on its own or stacked to supplement my other synthetic UQ's or stacked to use as a UQP. Mine did great stacked on my Snugpak so far. I can see it's easily gonna be my go-to UQ this summer too....especially when I have to carry a synthetic quilt but need to cut weight and/or don't have a lot of extra room in my pack.This is one versatile piece of kit and I can definitely see it making its way into quite a few HF members packs in the near future. Jared hit a homerun with this one that's for sure!.ENJOY and keep us posted!
    Yeah! Too right Chesapeake, gotta say l was very pleased to catch this thread early on, my intuition tells me Jared will indeed be requested by many folks for one of these trail winder beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    Wonderful! Along with that beautiful Sheltowee Hammock!Happy hanging!
    Thanks ShortRound! As a former mtb enthusiast l dig watching your videos, you make hitting up those skinnies look easy l know that it's takes that real skill of balance to line this stuff up!

Then a well earned hang in your favourite hammock to balance out the dynamics and chill is pretty sweet mate!

I have always liked what Alex has come up with at Sheltowee, the Half shell is a trouper hammock, l added a Chameleon shelf and now with Jared's trail winder! And man!! How good is life!!

Cheers matey!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Thanks ShortRound! As a former mtb enthusiast l dig watching your videos, you make hitting up those skinnies look easy l know that it's takes that real skill of balance to line this stuff up!

Then a well earned hang in your favourite hammock to balance out the dynamics and chill is pretty sweet mate!

I have always liked what Alex has come up with at Sheltowee, the Half shell is a trouper hammock, l added a Chameleon shelf and now with Jared's trail winder! And man!! How good is life!!

Cheers matey!
    Yeah Alex, & his sheltowee gear is great! Thanks for watching Gear n Trail Etc. Hang Loose!
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Trail Winder users, After you spend some time & gain experience with your Trail Winder Uq / Uqp i encourage you all to drop Jared a written users review on SLD website. Scroll to the bottom of the Trail Winder product page on SLD's site & there will be a section for users to write a review.... Link is below...https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...winder-asym-uq
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast