Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ive been experimenting with carbon pole + a simple suspension bridge style system (so 1 truss really) which works well with less fiddliness than multiple ones. it looks quite similar to your pic where the hammock has to attach where the cordage for the stakes has to be at the same location (so that things dont snap) and the inside of the tube is filled with carbon for that section, but my carbon tunes are much smaller (and require the simple truss still

that said, just like Baka, my major problem is to consistently find ground that will work with semi-light stakes such as the orange screw-style ones. Many times 2 of them per side are not enough, and then its just heavier than a hammock setup with a pad for the "i have no tree" moments.

That said i find any of your experiments very interesting and can't way to see these for sale!

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Any news/update on the beta poles and testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    11' xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    hg econ incubator
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    TiggzCraftworkz NoGround Trekking poles are going through a major redesign. In short the experiment is with carbon fiber poles and no trussing. First night on the raw poles was solid, but then again I don't weigh all that much (140ish). Now is the time to design them the way users want them, so here goes.

Please comment on what is important to YOU as a user. Some topics: multifunction? (trekking pole by day, hammock support at night); packed size; adjustable length in trekking pole mode? How adjustable? Type and length of hammock you will use with it? Preferred sit height? Do you have your head lower than feet? By how much? Maximum weight in pack? in hand? total per side? How much would you pay for something that meets your expressed needs?

For example: Will pay $xxx for a pair of poles that weigh no more than xx oz and will support xxx pounds. Use a xx foot gathered end hammock and want a sit height of xx inches. My tarp is xx feet long. It does/does not matter if the poles also work as a trekking/hiking pole. When being used as a trekking/hiking pole they do/do not need to have an adjustable length. Etc...

I can't promise that these will do everything asked (likely not, there are always trade-offs) or even become commercially viable. My current version has been stable for several years now but is a PITA to make and not worth scaling production up. I can still make them, but am too busy with the Tensa Outdoor endeavor. Honestly the price I've been selling them for is not worth the considerable time needed to make them.

My current goals are: Affordable, light enough and small enough to be truly backpackable, work as trekking poles too, easy to use, capacity of at least 250# user, work with most hammocks on the market (gathered end to 11 or even 12 feet, bridge, and if possible even the Amok style), good sit height and high enough for an underquilt, and play nice with tarps.

howdy there raftingtigger! spoke to you a few weeks back on fb, and wanted to chime in here as well! definitely love the idea of something that would be multi-use, a non-adjustable collapsing/folding/telescoping hiking stick of sorts.

ideally the entire kit (pole, stakes, guylines, etc.) all comes in under 2lbs and can support 180lbs or so (I'm only 130, but occasionally others like to sit in my hammock as well). I use an 11ft gathered end hammock with an 11ft tarp, and usually go for a sit height around 10in.

i was considering going for the tensa solo, but the big orange screws were kind of a turn off. those look big and heavy! may have to get creative with some traditional tent pegs to try and save some weight and volume there.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Beta poles (10 total) have arrived and are being fitted out. So far I really like what I see. Will post more after I have a chance to really put a load on them.

We're looking at combining 12 or 14" titanium stakes with the booms (alamosa) tubes I've been using with NG Trekking as the primary anchors. We still have more experimentation to do.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    I like the Tensla solo but wish we could just purchase the poles. $80 for two poles is kinda expensive.
    We already have two heavy Kelty tarp poles that I'm thinking about trying out. Has anyone used these tarp poles as a Tensa solo?
    We've used bamboo poles for the past 10 years on the beach, which are probably not as strong as the keltys and awkward to carry on the kayak.

bamboozled_img_20120923_081042.jpg

We also use the DIY 2-3 inch angle aluminum at 12-18 inches for the sand. As with forest duff you should dig past the puffy sand to the wetter sand for better hold.

sandstakes_original.jpg

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Aluminum Kelty poles are not strong enough. Steel ones probably are. Use them as short as you can get away with.

Also "Tensa Solo" is a specific, telescoping, single pole hammock stand made and sold by Tensa Outdoor.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    raftingtigger, are the poles likely to end up looking something like this?:

https://zpacks.com/products/carbon-fiber-staff

I like the simplicity of this. My main need for trekking poles is when walking down stairs or steep trails, so a pole that's longer than usual (with no way to make it "regular" length) is fine by me. Sliding my hand along the pole to whatever the right height is for that particular moment is ok.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    How's the project going? Would love to see a lightweight, backpack-able no-tree solution. I'm doing a Lost Coast trail hike next summer and there are no trees to be found for much of the hike since it's on the beach. This would be perfect for that situation.

Would this be a viable inexpensive solution?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Fre...Hammock-Stand/

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123