WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images

Hanging without trees - Backpackable support poles - What features do you want?

TiggzCraftworkz NoGround Trekking poles are going through a major redesign. In short the experiment is with carbon fiber poles and no trussing. First night on the raw poles was solid, but then again I don't weigh all that much (140ish). Now is the time to design them the way users want them, so here goes.

Please comment on what is important to YOU as a user. Some topics: multifunction? (trekking pole by day, hammock support at night); packed size; adjustable length in trekking pole mode? How adjustable? Type and length of hammock you will use with it? Preferred sit height? Do you have your head lower than feet? By how much? Maximum weight in pack? in hand? total per side? How much would you pay for something that meets your expressed needs?

For example: Will pay $xxx for a pair of poles that weigh no more than xx oz and will support xxx pounds. Use a xx foot gathered end hammock and want a sit height of xx inches. My tarp is xx feet long. It does/does not matter if the poles also work as a trekking/hiking pole. When being used as a trekking/hiking pole they do/do not need to have an adjustable length. Etc...

I can't promise that these will do everything asked (likely not, there are always trade-offs) or even become commercially viable. My current version has been stable for several years now but is a PITA to make and not worth scaling production up. I can still make them, but am too busy with the Tensa Outdoor endeavor. Honestly the price I've been selling them for is not worth the considerable time needed to make them.

My current goals are: Affordable, light enough and small enough to be truly backpackable, work as trekking poles too, easy to use, capacity of at least 250# user, work with most hammocks on the market (gathered end to 11 or even 12 feet, bridge, and if possible even the Amok style), good sit height and high enough for an underquilt, and play nice with tarps.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As a kayaker, I don't care about the "hiking" pole aspect. But it is not unusual to have to land/camp at a site that is "hammock unfriendly" with respect to trees. Problem is, even if I could imagine two packable poles that could be extended to hold a hammock - sort of two legs of a triangle with the third being a strong guy line to the ground - I also can't count on a solid "in ground" anchor point. Because I could be on a shell beach or rock shelf. So my Plan B is now a completely (no stakes required at all) self standing tent. I'm hoping a portable tensahedron stand will be a better alternative.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    You need to talk to Pharmgeek. He uses either the Tensa4 or the Tensa Solo (was TiggzCraftworkz CarCamp) for just that. The anchors work in the sand and it isn't that hard to creatively anchor. The system I'm asking about isn't right for what you need.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    raftingtigger,

I don't have any particular suggestions beyond what you stated as your current design goals, but I did want to say that this sounds like a really cool idea and hope that it gets some more attention from HF members. I have no idea how much something like that should cost, though.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Sasquatch View Post
    raftingtigger,

I don't have any particular suggestions beyond what you stated as your current design goals, but I did want to say that this sounds like a really cool idea and hope that it gets some more attention from HF members. I have no idea how much something like that should cost, though.
    We want to keep it affordable. Say equivalent to some of the higher end, hiking only, trekking poles. Lines and anchors are likely to add a little. Really I'm hoping to keep the cost near the current NG Trekking poles.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    This is a very timely thread! I have been noodling about how to make exactly what you describe...a set of trekking poles that could function as a hammock. For me, typical 11 ft. GE hammock, and the ability to rig a tarp over it. Light enough to pack and use as trekking poles. Adjustability similar to standard 3 section trekking poles would be preferred, but some compromise in that area would not be a deal breaker. I have also been thinking about getting one of your Tensa Solo’s for those times when you can find only one suitable tree or post, but a set of poles that make a stand would be ideal

Motorcycle camping so weight is not primary criteria-length 14 inches would be nice, but no more than 22 inches. Hammock length would be up to 11 foot and must carry my fat a$$ so maybe 200 pound working load. Must have means to hang a tarp. My feet are up to a foot higher than head. I can use one, two or maybe even three guy lines per end. I've spent too much money on camping gear already so of course price is important, but I've spent too much money on camping gear so what's a few more dollars? A tent will cost close to $150.00 for a decent one and could probably pay that or a little more for the extra comfort.

A pair of the car camping Tensa Solos at 60.00 each would have been ideal, but alas, I procrastinated.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    Motorcycle camping so weight is not primary criteria-length 14 inches would be nice, but no more than 22 inches. Hammock length would be up to 11 foot and must carry my fat a$$ so maybe 200 pound working load. Must have means to hang a tarp. My feet are up to a foot higher than head. I can use one, two or maybe even three guy lines per end. I've spent too much money on camping gear already so of course price is important, but I've spent too much money on camping gear so what's a few more dollars? A tent will cost close to $150.00 for a decent one and could probably pay that or a little more for the extra comfort.

A pair of the car camping Tensa Solos at 60.00 each would have been ideal, but alas, I procrastinated.
    Tensa Solos are still available and are probably better for what you want. Just get the pole only and make your own lines. I highly recommend the large Orange Screws as anchors.

raftingtigger

Just ordered two complete sets. Now I can go to ground if absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Bob

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Hello Everyone: First let me say congrats to Tensa Outdoors for bringing to market an amazing product that hangers everywhere should get. This is especially useful in the many places sans decent trees like the great American South West (Especially AZ, NM, UT). Don't even think about hanging from a giant Saguaro Cactus. That is a felony in Arizona.

Addressing the needs of everyone with a packable carbon fiber tensa4 is an admirable goal. If I were to buy one I think I'd like it to see support the same weight as the Aluminum model. I am fairly well over 250, and so a robust stand for me is a necessity. Depending on how much more the carbon fiber unit would cost with equivalent payload capacity and robustness to the original Tensa 4 would be key factors in my decision making process as to whether to buy this backpacking hammock stand or not. Good luck to the Tensa 4 team as they endeavor to bring to market their new lighter, more compact back packable Tensa 4 system.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 02-19-2019 at 15:53.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast