Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Following up on Vanhalo's Costco DIY suggestion, take a look at this video for a cheap and simple solution. Basically, shock cord, 2 hair ties, and 4 pennies. I added double barrel cord locks to make it a bit more adjustable. Just slide the cord lock onto the shock cord before you tie the loops on the ends. Worked out fine, other than the fiddle factor. Took it down to the mid 50s. Not sure how far one could push it, but I think I was close to the limit.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Top insulation is easy - use what you have or make a summer TQ with KamSnaps. Lots of videos on this.
    Bottom insulation - I used pads for years and was OK down to 25F BUT I sweated thru many early evenings trying to get to sleep plus got bug bit on any part not on the pad. So, I say:
    Save up and get a 3/4 UQ and a Fronkey style bugnet. You can slide the 3/4 UQ off to the side to get to sleep, then if the night chill wakes you just slide it back under you. This is my preferred setup.
    A fronkey style bugnet is important to keep bugs off you backside when the UQ is off to the side.
    Two great $100 UQs are:
    AHE Jarbridge UQ (20 oz, 58" long, synthetic and 25F).
    HG Phoenix Economy (17 oz, 52" long, down and 20F).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I live in SE Texas (East of Houston) on the Gulf Coast, so I can surely relate to your situation. However, I can tell you that using a pad in a hammock reduced my enjoyment of sleeping in a hammock immensely, so I quickly found another option. The pad will shift around throughout the night, causing cold spots for any body parts that are off the pad, there is the condensation issue, and it is just not as comfortable as the hammock fabric. I initially took a cheap sleeping bag ($20) and cut it to the size for an UQ and sewed in some channels for suspension. This UQ didn't compact nearly as well as down, but it worked, and was far more comfortable than a pad. Then I purchased 20deg UQ and have never looked back. My theory on UQ's is --> it is ok to have one rated lower than you need, but not ok to have one that doesn't keep you warm. I control temp with the TQ. Think about the mattress in your bed; it would probably be equivalent to a -50deg UQ or lower, and you prob keep your house around 70, but you control temp with the amount of top cover you use. In summers May-Sep I generally do not use any UQ in this area. Night time temps >60 and day time temps 90+. Good Luck!

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    My theory on UQ's is --> it is ok to have one rated lower than you need, but not ok to have one that doesn't keep you warm
    This is true for me.

20°-65°
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Advice on insulation in the south.

I live in one of the most southern parts of Louisiana. 10.5 months out of the year, I use a 40 degree 3/4 length underquilt. I'd recommend the econ phoenix 40 - I think you can get them just south of $100. My only top quilt is a 30 degree burrow which I've used from about 25ish to 70ish with great success. Feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

If I only had 60 to spend, I'd wait a bit and save $40 more to get a Phoenix 40. For the meantime, an old blue foam pad the boy scouts use will be plenty insulation for Louisiana. I made due with a cheap 40 degree sleeping bag for a few years before I bought my TQ.

If you want to buy one UQ only, I'd recommend a 20 degree full or half depending on your preference.
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 02-11-2019 at 13:41.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Costco DIY

If I had to use a pad I wouldn't be sleeping in a Hammock.
    Same here. I'd just spend another wknd, or two, on the ground until I could save the extra $40 bucks or so toward the HG Econ Phoenix. I think you'd find the 20 or 30 degree would fit most of your year round needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I live in SE Texas (East of Houston) on the Gulf Coast, so I can surely relate to your situation. However, I can tell you that using a pad in a hammock reduced my enjoyment of sleeping in a hammock immensely, so I quickly found another option. The pad will shift around throughout the night, causing cold spots for any body parts that are off the pad, there is the condensation issue, and it is just not as comfortable as the hammock fabric. I initially took a cheap sleeping bag ($20) and cut it to the size for an UQ and sewed in some channels for suspension. This UQ didn't compact nearly as well as down, but it worked, and was far more comfortable than a pad. Then I purchased 20deg UQ and have never looked back. My theory on UQ's is --> it is ok to have one rated lower than you need, but not ok to have one that doesn't keep you warm. I control temp with the TQ. Think about the mattress in your bed; it would probably be equivalent to a -50deg UQ or lower, and you prob keep your house around 70, but you control temp with the amount of top cover you use. In summers May-Sep I generally do not use any UQ in this area. Night time temps >60 and day time temps 90+. Good Luck!
    This is a really good point. Hadn't thought of it that way. You guys have just about got me convinced. I think I will save up[ and purchase a full length 20* UQ. I've also seen a couple of videos of people tying on wool blankets as UQs in a pinch. I have one of these, so maybe I try that until I can take the UQ plunge. Anyone have any experience doing this?

And yes, for a TQ, I had been planning on using a sleeping bag. I have a few of these at different temp ratings, so that will suffice for a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by SurplusFan98 View Post
    This is a really good point. Hadn't thought of it that way. You guys have just about got me convinced. I think I will save up[ and purchase a full length 20* UQ. I've also seen a couple of videos of people tying on wool blankets as UQs in a pinch. I have one of these, so maybe I try that until I can take the UQ plunge. Anyone have any experience doing this?

And yes, for a TQ, I had been planning on using a sleeping bag. I have a few of these at different temp ratings, so that will suffice for a bit...
    My sleeping bags are all semi-rectangular and open up completely. I've used them a lot as TQs. I can't imagine being comfortable in a hammock completely inside a sleeping bag. I often zip the foot end a bit to form a foot box if I need the warmth. You can go a long time before needing a true TQ!

About the only way a pad can be at all comfortable is between the layers of a double layer hammock or in a SPE. Neither option is terrific but still better than CBS!

Couldn't hurt to try something temporary if that's the difference between hanging or not. Be sure you can bail out if needed.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SurplusFan98 View Post

I bet you could pick one up here on the forums in the next few weeks.

If you are willing to try the partial UQ.

Lots of folks try it and decide its not for them.

Personally I have never slept in a full length UQ except that time i tried to use my Hudson River quilt as an UQ.

That did not go well for me.

HR was meant to be my TQ and the Greylock was meant to be my UQ.

That is my truth.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I used an under inflated pad for years before I got my uq. It worked fine. I’m a side sleeper and I toss and turn.

Charlotte

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12