Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I like having 8" Amsteel continuous loops (7/64) on the gathered ends, and 12' or 15' webbing. I highly recommend Myerstech Hammock Lab for quality and price. I use a simple Becket hitch directly to the CLs, no hardware needed. I also recommend 7/64 Amsteel over Zing-It for the hammock ridgeline. I've seen too many posts where folks have experienced significant elongation with Zing-It when used as a ridgeline. Don't get me wrong, I love Zing-It. But I reserve it for guylines.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is fun to play around with them and in the end you'll find one that suits your style best. Though.....you may still change down the road.
    To make it easy just pick one and go with it.
    I did a hammock suspension video series. May give some insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    There are way more choices now than when I started with hammocks.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For simplicity and not using any hardware, we need to get our minds out of the way.

I would have to agree that using just a long strap looped around a tree through its end loop and short CL hitched to the hammock would be the simplest. No hardware, no other lines, no finding sticks, no special equipment needed to make them. Of course this is using the minimalist approach with it's +/- and you can argue both sides easily. But, just simple.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    For simplicity and not using any hardware, we need to get our minds out of the way.

I would have to agree that using just a long strap looped around a tree through its end loop and short CL hitched to the hammock would be the simplest. No hardware, no other lines, no finding sticks, no special equipment needed to make them. Of course this is using the minimalist approach with it's +/- and you can argue both sides easily. But, just simple.
    Simple... and light!

For UL and borderline SUL freakazoids, with a 1.0 Hexon Half Wit (9.8 oz) and Venom straps (12', 1.8 oz/pair) and we're airborne with fairly decent bug protection for a whopping 11.6 oz.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    I highly recommend using an "EVO loop" on the sewn loops on the tree straps as demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCCOPXbkn1A. You can make these yourself, and it greatly speeds connection/deconnection and height adjustment at the tree end.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, when ever you decide, don't put line around a tree to support the hammock. Even if is one of our armor plated like our Ponderosa Pine. You are a hammock hang ambassador and some officials (park people, forest rangers, etc.) have rules, if they don't make sense. Also, others are watching. So set a good example and always use webbing around the tree.

the problem with the "Hennessy" knot, is, if you are a person such as myself, you will probably not the the placement right the first time. After the hammock is initially set, you'll want to dink around with it a little. Raise or lower one end a bit. Lift or lower both ends to get the hight above ground just like for you (I like mine chair height so I can just stand up to exit). So you'll want to easily be able to adjust it at the tree end.

I put rings on the continuous loops at the end of the hammock. I can attach any suspension I want to the rings (tried them all) and the ring acts as a water break.

The simplest suspension for me is a daisy chain. I wrap it around the tree and clip it using a DutchWare clip or carabiner. I could feed it thought the end loop but that's just a little more difficult to adjust if it needs to be raised over branches. then I just clip the hammock into the best loop in the daisy chain. I made myself some Amsteel loops so I can link in at half a chain loop distance. So it is not a continuous adjustment like I'd have with webbing but it is close enough.

I played with whoopies and I know some people just love them. But they were not for me. Too much fuss with the Marlin Spike at the tree (and remember, even though the whoopie is adjust able , you may need to move the position of the Marlin Spike). Also, the whoopies had too much length overhead for me. Sometimes the trees I had to use were very close, nearly end to end at the hammock. The Whoopie reguires much more additional distance.

That said, with enough tree distance - they are a very light alternative; if light weight is the priority.

Thanks for all the information! I've enjoyed a lot of your videos, Shug. I figure if I cut the webbing in half, I can make a loop at on end of each half, a twisted loop at the other. I can make whoopies and CLs, and have a few options to play with. I can always shorten the webbing later.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Two pieces of webbing, a continuous loop on each hammock end, and 2 J-Bends to connect hammock to webbing. See post #14 above.

No hardware. Works every time. Simple and direct. Impossible to be simpler, no? Impossible to be lighter, as long as you don't go "stupid-light" on webbing and CLs. After trying about everything else for years, why complicate things. I don't get it. See post #14 above.

Images
    +1 for the Beckett hitch

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    check out Jeff Myers videos.....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAZ...ZrMfhEg/videos Evo loops rock!!!!! Big Fan of the Beckett hitch also.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast