WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies

Can a serger help?

I am in the planning stages of making my next tarp, I'm thinking along the lines of a SWT or maybe a hex with beaks. The cool part is, I now have access to a serger that will do rolled hems. However, the rolled hem it will do is only 1/8 in. wide. I was wondering if this would lend enough strength to the edges of a tarp, or if a wider hem would be needed. My thinking is that a wider hem would spread out the stresses better, but the idea of cutting and hemming the edges at the same time is so attractive. What do the experienced gear makers here think? Is there something else this machine can do for me that would help in making my Tarp?

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    They're really good for the inside edges of stuff sacks! My mom has one ... but she keeps the hairy eye ball on me when I mess with it! You go up to mom's ya best keep your hands off her sewing gear!

She's loved me for 56 years ... but that might even get me kilt!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could always start with the serger on the edges and then attach some grosgrain ribbon folded over on top of that - like the oes tarps.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would not want a serged edge exposed on a tarp. Definitely consider covering it with grosgrain. I would think that all of the thread, etc. would deteriorate over time. I too use it for the inside seams of stuff sacks, works very well in that application. I love my wife's serger. I haven't figured out how to thread it yet, I leave that to her expertise.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Also, using a serger is a different way of sewing than using a "regular" sewing machine, so: Practice, practice, practice.

Sometimes you sort of have to sew (The best way I can describe it) upside down & inside out as opposed to a regular sewing machine. It's not exactly that way, just the best I can describe it.

I use my serger to make stuff sacks & the seams hold a lot better than sewing with a regular sewing machine.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the replies. When I heard that it could make a rolled hem, I had envisioned running the outside edges through the serger then making a ridge seam. Two steps and I'd be ready for pullouts. Then I found out how narrow a hem it makes. Well, I should still be able to save some time with the cutting and all.

The woman at the store had suggested tying new thread to the old stuff above the tensioners and then pulling it through as a way to change thread. I hope that works.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am not aware of sergers doing rolled hems. I may be thiinking of a different kind of machine than you are talking about. A serger is used to trim and overlock stitch fabric at the same time. That would not accomplish what you want for a tarp.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Id View Post
    Thanks for the replies. When I heard that it could make a rolled hem, I had envisioned running the outside edges through the serger then making a ridge seam. Two steps and I'd be ready for pullouts. Then I found out how narrow a hem it makes. Well, I should still be able to save some time with the cutting and all.

The woman at the store had suggested tying new thread to the old stuff above the tensioners and then pulling it through as a way to change thread. I hope that works.
    Unless you are highly skilled with a serger trying to cut the raw fabric could be a recipe for disaster. Make sure you have things well planned before you start. Serger seams are next to impossible to rip out and if you cut too much of the fabric, very easy to do, you are completely out of luck.

edit: The ONLY way to easily change thread on a serger is to tie the thread and pull it though. Otherwise you best be prepared for extreme aggravation. Trying to thread some of those needles is like trying tie a fish hook onto line in the dark behind your back when everything is enclosed in a snack size zip lock bag.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am not aware of sergers doing rolled hems. I may be thiinking of a different kind of machine than you are talking about. A serger is used to trim and overlock stitch fabric at the same time. That would not accomplish what you want for a tarp.
    By making an adjustment in the tension on one of the threads and moving a switch in the base plate this serger will do a rolled hem. From what I'm told most sergers will do this, but on some models it is necessary to swap the base plate for a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Unless you are highly skilled with a serger trying to cut the raw fabric could be a recipe for disaster. Make sure you have things well planned before you start. Serger seams are next to impossible to rip out and if you cut too much of the fabric, very easy to do, you are completely out of luck.

edit: The ONLY way to easily change thread on a serger is to tie the thread and pull it though. Otherwise you best be prepared for extreme aggravation. Trying to thread some of those needles is like trying tie a fish hook onto line in the dark behind your back when everything is enclosed in a snack size zip lock bag.
    Yeah, practice will be the key when using this thing. As far as re-threading, I watched the DVD that we got with the machine and it looks straight forward except for one of the lower threads. Even with video instructions I wouldn't want to tackle that project.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Sergers aree great for finished edges. Easiest way to do it IMO. But they can really go through fabric like wildfire and good control of the fabric is essential. Is it 3 thread or 4? Four will sew a finish stitch line as well as overlock the edges.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast