Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Look at this...First post and I gained a great amount of knowledge! Thanks to all that contributed. As cougarmeat said its a matter of words. I think we are talking more or less the same thing. I'm a tinkerer by nature and I'm looking forward to playing with the suspension system on this hammock. I've watched about 60 youtube videos (57 of which are by this guy Shug ...he can't be avoided..lol...but i like him..I imagine some don't but i digress) on all different aspects of hammocking and it looks like there a lot to tinker with. Thanks again!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Look at this...First post and I gained a great amount of knowledge! Thanks to all that contributed. As cougarmeat said its a matter of words. I think we are talking more or less the same thing. I'm a tinkerer by nature and I'm looking forward to playing with the suspension system on this hammock. I've watched about 60 youtube videos (57 of which are by this guy Shug ...he can't be avoided..lol...but i like him..I imagine some don't but i digress) on all different aspects of hammocking and it looks like there a lot to tinker with. Thanks again!
    Here is a bit of ridgeline intel. Maybe you saw it in the 57 videos!
    I've found if you put yourself out there...even if all your trying to do is help, you will still get disliked. I'm fine with it. Thickens my epidermis.
    And your correct. I cannot be avoided~~!!~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Just want to point out that HH has a shorter SRL than others cottage vendors here. I still don't know why.

[QUOTE=Shug;1952168]Here is a bit of ridgeline intel. Maybe you saw it in the 57 videos!
    I've found if you put yourself out there...even if all your trying to do is help, you will still get disliked. I'm fine with it. Thickens my epidermis.
    And your correct. I cannot be avoided~~!!~~
    Shug

A response from the man himself, I'm honored. Keep plugging away I'm learning a lot...but for God's sake dont ride a unicycle on a rotted backyard picnic table again! (see I am watching)

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kvlr/Amstl-J-bend
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    Just want to point out that HH has a shorter SRL than others cottage vendors here. I still don't know why.
    When the SRL is shorter as a % of the hammock length then there is less stress on the hammock fabric, channel stitching, etc. Less likely for heavier hangers to rip it.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    When the SRL is shorter as a % of the hammock length then there is less stress on the hammock fabric, channel stitching, etc. Less likely for heavier hangers to rip it.
    This would only be true if all of the weight was centered in the hammock and the hang angle of the fabric itself essentially is increased. Increase the sag too much by having the SRL overly short would result in a very uncomfortable hammock.
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-13-2019 at 07:51.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kvlr/Amstl-J-bend
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    This would only be true if all of the weight was centered in the hammock and the hang angle of the fabric itself essentially is increased. Increase the sag too much by having the SRL overly short would result in a very uncomfortable hammock.
    Even with a person stretched out in the hammock, the fabric hang angle at the ends has got to be a bit steeper with a shorter SRL compared to the same hammock with a longer SRL. Agreed, if it's too short it can be uncomfortable, but the reverse is also true... looking for that "sweet spot" after all.

I have a SLD Trail Runner for which I made my own SRL @83%, which is 109". I'm not particularly happy with the lay so I'm going to make an adjustable SRL to play around with. I'll make some photos from the side to see if this can be visually demonstrated.

Adjustable SRL @105", SLD Trail Runner 11':

Adjustable SRL @115", SLD Trail Runner 11':
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-13-2019 at 17:21.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Iím new to forum and hammocking. Does the continuous ridge line in a Hennessey Backpacker UL enable more weight to be hung than the 200 lbs recommendation the hammock has? Iím adding Amsteel 1/8 suspension lines and continuous loops to the hammock. I want to hang my bicycle touring panniers from the lines when camped. 4 bags totaling 30-35 pounds. I guessing that the ridge line takes a good portion of my weight and the packs weight rather than the ripstop hammock material???
    If I understand your question correctly you should be fine. Most Hammock weight ratings are based on fabric capability. If your clipping the bags on the ends of the suspension then you are correct there is no added load in the hammock fabric. If your clipping the bags to the CLR, again there is no load added load to the hammock. The entire weight will be taken by the suspension. Thus you need to look at the strength of the suspension. 1/8" AmSteel Min break strength is 2300#s providing a working strength of 460 w/ SF45. Rule of thumb for a 30* suspension angle, is to take your weight + load and make sure it is less than 460lbs. So, if you weigh under 425 lbs you should be more than fine.

Have fun and go hang.

Note: If hanging from the CLR then just need to make sure the connection of the UCR is to the suspension and not hammock.

Jeff-oh - exactly what I was thinking. The bags hanging from suspension are indepentent from the rating of the hammock. Upgrading suspension would allow weight to be hung from supension part of the set up. I'm ordering enough 1/8 (or 7/64) Amsteel for RL, continuous loops, and suspension lines. That should handle any little extra weight I hang of course keeping to the 30* angle.

• + New Posts