Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

MA - Peddocks Island - June 14-16, 2019 - Kayak Camping Hang

This is the official thread for the Kayak Camping Hang in the Boston Harbor Islands National Park on Peddocks Island. I'll be sharing any new information here.

There are hiking trails and nice places to just chill around the Island You can fish from your boat or the dock with a Massachusetts salt water fishing permit.

Click the link below for the signup sheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    The fields on the sheet are there to allow me to file a float plan with the Harbormaster, so please fill out one line per person but you only need to put your vehicle information once if there are more than one person in a car.

You can get to the island any way that is safe. If you are unfamiliar with the waters, please let me know and I'll try to help with a route. Whatever you do, don't try to paddle through the Hull Gut, I've seen four foot standing waves there and you will be in life threatening trouble if you try it. Some safe starting points are: Hingham Harbor (this is where I prefer), Quincy, Weymouth, and some places in Hull. The island ferries will not be operating during our trip.

There will most likely be fresh water available on the Island but the Visitor Center will be closed. Pit toilets are available in the camping area.

Here are the official rules from the permit:

The following are terms of agreement between Commonwealth of MA and permitted party:
    1. All camping is permitted by reservation only. 2. Campers must carry out what they carry in to the park. 3. Occupying a campsite is on a first arrival, first served basis. 4. No more than five (5) or thirty five (35) people allowed on a designated individual or group camp-site respectively. 5. No open campfire allowed upland of the high tide line. 6. Charcoal or fuel cooking stoves are allowed at designated camp or picnic sites. 7. Bicycle riding, Pets, alcoholic beverages, bonfires, firearms, fireworks, and any explosive devises are prohibited. 8. Disorderly and disruptive conduct and amplified sound are prohibited. 9. Quiet hours are 10:00pm through 7:00am. 10. Cutting, removing, defacing, littering, or otherwise causing damage to any natural or man-made object is prohibited.
    11. Island closes at sunset unless otherwise permitted. 12. Camping in Boston Harbor Islands State Park is considered a wilderness experience, requiring the camping party to be prepared to supply their own food, water, shelter, first-aid and to secure water transportation to and from the camping island. 13. No Docking Drop off pick up only, strictly enforced. 14. Campsite Fees: Individual tent sites are $8.00 per night; Group sites are $35.00 per night for 25 people plus $1.00 for each additional person up to the 35 person limit. $50.00 for out of state residents.
    Make check payable to Mass DCR.

15. The below permitted group acknowledges that DCR may not provide overnight island staff and accepts full responsibility of all members of their group while exercising this Camping Permit.

16. For a Camping Permit on non-staffed DCR islands in Boston Harbor the permittee must provide communication #s while on island.

Here's a link to the camping FAQ for the islands. Note, the ferry and shuttle boats will not be running during our weekend.
    https://www.bostonharborislands.org/camping-faqs

OK, Here are the rules for the Trip and Hang:

• Safety first. All paddlers are required to wear a PFD.
    • A spray skirt is highly recommended.
    • A spare paddle is highly recommended.
    • You are responsible for your own food and a way to cook it.
    • Bring water in case the Island goes dry.
    • You must be proficient in self-rescue.
    • Dress for the swim.

Please bring a VHF Marine radio if you have one.

Low tide in Hingham Harbor is a disgusting mud flat, like burn your clothes disgusting
    High Tide in Hingham at 9:45 AM. I plan to launch from the Hingham Bathing Beach on Friday the 14th right around that time.
    High Tide on Sunday the 16th is at 11:32 AM. I am planning to be off the island around 10:00 AM to land on the high tide.

If you have a hammock stand that fits in your boat, bring it. There are lots of good trees, but not all have the underbrush cleared for hanging. We may not be the only people camping on the island, too.

Be warned, the island is directly under an approach to Logan International Airport. I always bring earplugs.

Food left out will be eaten by birds, racoons, and coyotes. Please secure your food.

The permit costs $64. I would like to divide the cost evenly among those who come. I don't anticipate any additional costs.

A table will be designated for gear donations. If you want something on the table, leave a donation and take the item. All proceeds will be donated to Boston Harbor Now https://www.bostonharbornow.org , the charitable organization supporting the Islands. If your item isn't taken you need to take it home with you at the end of the trip.

Let's have some fun. I look forward to seeing you soon.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    thanks for organizing John. Looking forward to this paddle hang.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    I have been thoroughly depressed looking at my poor kayaks covered in snow and ice. Can't wait.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSitter View Post
    I have been thoroughly depressed looking at my poor kayaks covered in snow and ice. Can't wait.
    Decent drysuits are pretty cheap these days. I paid $400 for mine and it came with the fleece undergarment (union suit).
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Decent drysuits are pretty cheap these days. I paid $400 for mine and it came with the fleece undergarment (union suit).
    I have a stohlquist dry suit, but All the launch points are iced in. Few more weeks and we will be out.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSitter View Post
    I have a stohlquist dry suit, but All the launch points are iced in. Few more weeks and we will be out.
    There's always the ocean. I'm home helping my wife recover from surgery but would be watching the harbor seals sunning themselves otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I checked the signup sheet and 6 of the 12 available slots are taken. Sign up soon if you would like to join us. The permit is for 12 people.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    I'm interested in this trip but am unsure of my schedule and thus am going to hold off registering and taking up one of the slots.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    I'm interested in this trip but am unsure of my schedule and thus am going to hold off registering and taking up one of the slots.
    I hope you can make it. There are usually last minute cancellations on these kinds of things and nobody actually counts the number of people on the island if we have one more, you can just hide in your hammock if the Rangers come

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    We have a few slots left for this hang. Sign up soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast