Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

polypro/seatbelt webbing and carabiner/marlin spike questions

After to many painful set-ups with my tri-glides I'm ready to switch to something better. In doing so I hope to accomplish two things.
    1. Switch to suppension which will have less stretch,
    2. Be easier to adjust/faster to set up and take down, all while maintaining a reliable and strong system. I plan on ordering three 7/64 whoopie slings*, and two 6'ish tree huggers.

I have two questions that I'm seeking answers for.(this equipment will be ordered through AHE if that helps)
    1. What is the advantage/disadvantage of polypro webbing vs. seat belt webbing?
    2. What is the advantage/disadvantage of using a carabiner to attach the whoopie to the tree hugger vs. using a marlin spike?

*2 whoopies will be used for my bridge hammock suspension while the other will be used as a structural ridge-line for my ENO doublnest.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    you can check strapworks website, I believe the seatbelt webbing has a better resistance to the elements than the polypro. they are pretty good about giving the pros and cons of each type they sell.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    My personal opinion is that poly ratchet strapping is the best stuff to use for tree huggers, I have seatbelt webbing, and I think it's just too thick for a MS hitch, and the polypro stuff just snags on bark too easy.

My $.01,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Roadtorque, There are a couple things to think about with each of these items. The Ploypro has some stretch/give to it, not like nylon but still some. That will stretch out and get more solid with some use. Polyester, like the camo or seatbelt that I have will not stretch and is stronger. The seatbelt webbing is also a lot burlier webbing it is almost the thickness of a climbing spec webbing and will hold up to a lot more wear and tear but is a bit heavier. The main draw to the ploypro is that is is lighter and a bit cheaper. The camo is a slight bit heavier but is a bit more as it is a bit unique.

Carabiner versus MSH is that the carabiner will be a second or maybe 2 faster, and for some that use a carabiner to hang a water bottle from their pack it is kind of multi use. Other than that the MSH is lighter than using a carabiner. Other than that both will work and I think anything else is mostly going to be personal preference.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts