How to switch out Hennessy Hammock suspension

Hello everyone,

I have a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and I want to change the suspension. Does anyone have any how to videos? Anyone have any suggestions on what to replace it with?

I have seen people suggest repel rings, whoopie slings, carabiners, etc. Looking for some suggestions for easy setup.

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Here is a good vid

Images
    Unless you are really dead set on getting rid of your HH ropes, there is a really simple way to change to another suspension.

Simply take the HH rope, and tie it into either a figure 8 knot, or a bowline. If needed, go to Animated Knots or some other tutorial for directions on how to tie this. Actually, I prefer a double figure 8, as this will give 2 loops to attach to, rather than one. Less likely to break, I suppose.

Once you have this loop, which can be short or long as you prefer, you can choose to:
    1: Larks head a whoopie sling
    2: larks head a continuous loop with cinch buckles
    3: Run a strap from the tree to the new loop, and attach with a Becket, J bend or a simple slippery 1/2 hitch. ( I use this latter a lot, dirt simple and has never slipped on me (200-205 lbs)

4: If you decide one of these is for you, just cut off the excess rope if counting grams. Otherwise, leave it as is in case you change your mind someday.

This is a really simple way to do it. I only figured this out recently, wish I had done so 12 years ago! No one has told me so far that these knots will weaken the ropes enough to be a risk, though knots always weaken ropes to some degree. I have been using bow line knots and slippery 1/2 hitches on the 1/2" nylon webbing that came on my Claytor No Net for 10+ years, amazingly, still going strong so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUgwyJd6IE

And there's another video. Do a quick YouTube search and look at several as there are some slight differences in how people have done it. I changed mine out several years back and installed whoopie slings. You can also up your options by installing a continuous loop instead. Having a loop on the ends will allow you to more easily switch out suspensions and try several.

Be careful of your ridgeline since the bugnet depends on having it stay a certain length. My suggestion is to take pictures of the setup after you take off the end covers. Note how the ridgeline is threaded through the existing rope before you remove anything else. Go slowly and it's a fairly easy modification.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG UQ / WL TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    The video shared above seems pretty straight forward. My two cents: I recommend changing the ropes out for a continuous loop. This gives you plenty of options for suspension and you can always change later when something else looks fun and new. Go through Dutch's website and see which suspension method looks the best to you considering your goals like ease vs weight. I've used whoopies and I've used cinch bugs. No compaints about either. Just depends on my mood as to which I take with me each time.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd put a continuous loop on the ends, then put a ring on the continuous loop. After that, you can connect any suspension you want to the ring and the ring will act as a water break. The Hennessy is symmetric but if you every get a hammock with a head and foot end, you can identify them with different colored rings (if you haven't already with different colored Amsteel).

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I'd put a continuous loop on the ends, then put a ring on the continuous loop. After that, you can connect any suspension you want to the ring and the ring will act as a water break. The Hennessy is symmetric but if you every get a hammock with a head and foot end, you can identify them with different colored rings (if you haven't already with different colored Amsteel).
    Asym in the model name doesn’t mean it’s asymmetrical?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Asym in the model name doesn’t mean it’s asymmetrical?
    Not sure what cougarmeat meant (I think it's a typo), but the Hennesy I owned, the Expedition Asym Zip, was definitely asymmetrical. In fact, on the web page https://hennessyhammock.com/products...ition-asym-zip (notice the name asym-zip), it says, "This is our most popular Zip model with patented features including our patented asymmetrical shape . . . ."

I am personally almost 99.99% certain that all their zippered hammocks are asymmetrical, and just a spot check of the Safari Deluxe page https://hennessyhammock.com/products...eluxe-asym-zip (notice the name asym-zip) says, "It has our patented asymmetrical shape . . . ."

So disregard cougarmeat unless he comes up with some kind of proof that Hennessy suddenly went symmetrical!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    No, cougarmeat was just having a "senior moment". First, it was a Hennessy Classic - not zip. Second, the "symmetrical" meant there wasn't a specific head end (like a Ridge Runner or BlackBird has). Perhaps ambidextrous would have been a better word. But even that would be wrong because the Classic definitely has a foot end where the bottom entrance is located. So ... The POINT IS , I use different colored rings on continuous loops to distinguish one end of the hammock (foot end is always black) from the other when it matters. The rings on their loops hang outside the double ended stuff sack so it's easy determine the head end before it's out of the bag.

CLs make perfect sense. Not sure if the rings really add much, if anything, for most folks. Practically any suspension added to a CL will form an adequate break. If not, add a piece of string! As always, HYOH.

• + New Posts