Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckles

Good Lightweight Hammock for Aspiring Hangers?

Hey all, I got the complete REI setup about a year ago to see if I'd prefer a hammock to a tent/tarp on the cheap and have loved waking up without sore, bony hips in the morning. That said, the REI hammock is small for me (I am 6'1") and weighs about 3 pounds total, which to me is kinda a lot for a shelter before getting into insulation (for reference, on the ground my tarp, footprint, and stakes weigh about a pound).

I am looking into budget/lightweight hammocks with a zippered bug net for most of my hiking and like the look, modularity, and price point of the Warbonnet Eldorado a lot but want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Does anyone have experience with the Eldorado? I have also heard good things about the Dream Hammock Darien, HG Zippered Bug Net Hammock, and Dutchware half-wit, although I don't think I'm quite hardcore enough to go for something without full bug coverage.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just keep in mind that bugnets don't have to have zippers to be effective. I've been using the Fronkey bugnet for years and have never gotten bit by a mosquito. In fact, I hate how a few mosquitoes always get into my hammock with a zippered bugnet when I open it up to get in: that's never happened with a Fronkey.

Dutch sells a Fronkey bugnet for $57, and you can find some of different weights at Buttinasling as well. Couple that with a $30 netless hammock from Dutch or HG, and you're all set.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    I love the foot box design of blackbird and that is part of the eldorado. It was my first and still favorite hammock even though i now use the half-wit for most of my 3 season hikes.

Have you checked the trail lair by simply light designs? They have lots of customization to balance weight and your needs.

Also a point to consider is your bottom protection from the mosquitoes ... single layer (double layer as well?) is not enough.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Warbonnet Eldorado is a good choice (as would be a blackbird xlc)

other equally good choices:

Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior

Dutchware Chameleon

Dream Hammock Raven/sparrow/darien/etc

Simply Light Designs Trail lair

etc etc

lots of really good vendors here, with fairly similar, yet somewhat unique offerings

not a bad choice in the bunch, really

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've been using the Fronkey bugnet for years and have never gotten bit by a mosquito.

Dutch sells a Fronkey bugnet for $57, and you can find some of different weights at Buttinasling as well. Couple that with a $30 netless hammock from Dutch or HG, and you're all set.
    Same results with me. For me, a (Dutch Argon 1.6 11 ft) netless gathered end hammock and Fronkey style bugnet are a good combo especially for summer nights.
    The Fronkey style bugnet provides pretty good ventilation for summer nights as well as protects your backside from skeeters so you can slip your UQ off to the side in warm early evenings when not needed, then slide the UQ under you for the early morning chill.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Just keep in mind that bugnets don't have to have zippers to be effective. I've been using the Fronkey bugnet for years and have never gotten bit by a mosquito. In fact, I hate how a few mosquitoes always get into my hammock with a zippered bugnet when I open it up to get in: that's never happened with a Fronkey.

+ 1
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

• + New Posts