Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PA > Allegheny National Forest - Kinzua Creek > Trout fishing April 19 20 21

I plan to be at the Westline Inn sometime after noon Friday. We can meet up there and head to the Forest Road 321 Bridge (41°46'49.7"N 78°50'33.1"W) to fish Friday evening and make camp off of 321 anywhere east of Mead Run (no camping from Red Bridge to Mead Run). I will try and scout a campsite beforehand.

Saturday - there is more access off of the Forest Rd 122 side of the creek, as well as the Kinzua Valley Trail, but more private property here so it makes sense to me to camp off 321 and possibly drive over to the other side if anyone wants to. From google maps it looks like there is a parking area near Markham Run at 41°46'49.7"N 78°50'33.1"W and another at 41°46'49.7"N 78°50'33.1"W.

Sunday morning I plan to fish the section east of US 219 at the parking area near Town Line Run 41.759399, -78.693240.

Sign-up sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tFvwT7BKc/edit

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Buddy of mine has a cabin right up the road from that place. Busy over the Easter Weekend and with a fishing/turkey hunting trip the following weekend, I can’t do both. Bet it will be a blast.

Would anyone prefer to get a site at Red Bridge Campground? It opens April 1st. Has anyone camped there that could recommend a good site? Hammock friendly?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alle...ea/?recid=6112

Here are the sites:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/c...2088/campsites

A standard non-electric is $18 a night it looks like. Max 8 people.

Site 7?
    Last edited by Conquering Fool; 03-08-2019 at 10:56.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't know the area enough for input. I'll leave the decision making to you and jcksparow.
    Really looking forward to this! That Westline Inn looks like a great place to start and finish a trip at.

The one thing I did notice about Red Bridge is it is Max 2 cars.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

I booked site 7 for 2 nights. There looks to be a lot of trees, its right on the water and will give us a meet-up spot known in advance in case anyone cannot come in Friday afternoon. The cost was $52 if anyone wants to contribute. Max number of people is 8, max number of vehicles is 2. Additional vehicles are $5 per night and can be paid on site.

19952_a212f687-6277-41e4-ac69-31550a4a5609_700.jpg

I am going to go out to Laurel Mill and get some of those huge pieces of cherry that we were using at the winter hang, but if anyone wants to pick up some other firewood it wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Conquering Fool; 03-11-2019 at 14:16.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquering Fool View Post
    I booked site 7 for 2 nights. There looks to be a lot of trees, its right on the water and will give us a meet-up spot known in advance in case anyone cannot come in Friday afternoon. The cost was $52 if anyone wants to contribute. Max number of people is 8, max number of vehicles is 2. Additional vehicles are $5 per night and can be paid on site.

19952_a212f687-6277-41e4-ac69-31550a4a5609_700.jpg

I am going to go out to Laurel Mill and get some of those huge pieces of cherry that we were using at the winter hang, but if anyone wants to pick up some other firewood it wouldn't hurt.
    That seems like a good call. Any time we don't have to spend searching for a campsite is time that can be spent fishing. I'll certainly pitch in something for expenses.

If we're right on the water, we might well be able to launch kayaks from our campsite. Anyone have any experience paddling this creek?
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    That seems like a good call. Any time we don't have to spend searching for a campsite is time that can be spent fishing. I'll certainly pitch in something for expenses.

If we're right on the water, we might well be able to launch kayaks from our campsite. Anyone have any experience paddling this creek?
    The campsite is on the Allegheny Reservoir near the inflow of Kinzua Creek, which may be navigable but probably better off being accessed by car/on foot. I have been debating on bringing my kayak being so close to the water, but worry about it walking away while we are off fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll be at Westline Inn at noon if anyone else decides to join us. Afterwards we are at Red Bridge Campground Site 7.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for setting this up CF! Had a great time. Very nice and clean camp area. Our site was great. I'm sure that's not the last time I will camp there.
    I caught a delicious Brook trout. It was a fatty. Got 2 real nice fillets that where fried cajun style. YUMMY! This may have been the tastiest trout I have caught. I was glad to keep my trout streak going. I was joking with my Dad about changing my license plate to TRTMSTR.
    The PA fishing license has already paid for it's self, everything else will be bonus.

IMG952824.jpgIMG_20190420_122705661.jpg
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast