Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It seems a point is being missed here. A cart is being put in front of a horse. The goal isn't to match exact numbers, the goal is to sleep comfortably. The 83%-86% target is a starting place. Even if a hammock came with built in ridge line, you could hang such that it is a desirable tautness, then, if possible, remove it and make things a little tighter or looser to find YOUR sweet spot. Measure that an make your own ridge line "ruler". I'm saying that way because the cord doesn't have to be "structural" (AmSteel strong). It can be just utility cord that reminds you of the ideal end distance - as long as you don't "cheat" on the hang angle.

I have an Expedition and that is such an integrated system with the bug net, I wouldn't change its ridge line length. If it isn't comfortable for you at the recommended ridge line tautness, then I'd consider another hammock.

All this measuring and such is fine. I do it myself - but I let the comfort in the hammock be the criteria, not a mathematical formula.
    I agree. Several of my fav hammocks have no RL at all, and I have had just as many comfy nights in them as I have any other hammock! For example, I have never had a RL on my Claytor No Net. I just eyeball it so that it does not seem to have too much sag, get in and am always comfortable. I have in the past suspected my HH Explorer UL was more comfy if the RL was sort of tight. And back in the day around here most folks hung their HHs with the RL quite tight, they felt that was more comfy. But if correct, that would imply that the RL needed to be a bit longer. And is it OldTrailDog that improved the comfort(less calf pressure) of his WB hammocks by lengthening the RL a bit?

Anyway, as long as it is not being pulled way too tight, just go by what feels best. (way too tight- whatever that is- can damage suspension or maybe even bring down your tree or post. And will probably decrease comfort y causing shoulder squeeze. With the HH, maybe just pull the HH RL fairly snug, and if that does not feel right then loosen it up some until it does feel right. Or vice versa: just start with the RL a bit loose, and tighten up as needed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    I may not have clearly stated this earlier, but I’ve at least hinted at the concern or question is being driven by not being able to get my sub-6’ foam pad on an angle in the hammock without being into the bug net. That prompted the measuring and digging into the size/specs because the website says it should be good for people up to 7’ tall. It also explicitly states if you’re close to 6’, you’d probably appreciate the extra room/space. I was wondering if I’m doing something wrong or it’s something with the hammock.
    That is bothering me. Did you say you measured and yours is 132" down the middle on the inside, from the farthest points you can reach inside? From a bit inside of the very end, a bitinside the end knot covers? And you have about a 109" RL? (the actual RL from about where the end knot cove starts to the other? Both of my Explorer ULs, which I purchased many years apart, are about these measurements)

If so, I would think a 6' pad would about fit, on a reasonable angle. I am 6'1". Usually the little toe of my right foot- if not using a knee pillow- is just touching the net or part of the hammock real close to the net. But, that is just how I often end up, especially if I don't hang the foot end a good bit higher. When that happens, I usually have 2 or 3 feet from the top of my head to the end of my hammock, and could easily move further toward the head so that my foot does not contact that area. If I am 6 ft and have that much room, I would think you could get a < 6 ft pad in there, although the right corner might well be somewhat in contact with the net. If not, It makes me wonder about the length of your hammock.

Images
    BTW, just to be certain: You say you have an HH Explorer UL, right? That is for certain the hammock you have, made by HH? Not a possible 2nd quality that might have been sold as some sort of defect at a lower price? ( they do sell various blems, defects and damaged gear on occasion) But if you have an HH Explorer UL, it is almost certainly the HH specified width and length, which has not changed in 12 years or more. And any HH I have had over the years, including blemished or used,have always measured right at the specs. So, I would figure yours does also. Does it? (I'm just trying to figure out what might be causing your problems, if you are still having them)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    BTW, just to be certain: You say you have an HH Explorer UL, right? That is for certain the hammock you have, made by HH? Not a possible 2nd quality that might have been sold as some sort of defect at a lower price? ( they do sell various blems, defects and damaged gear on occasion) But if you have an HH Explorer UL, it is almost certainly the HH specified width and length, which has not changed in 12 years or more. And any HH I have had over the years, including blemished or used,have always measured right at the specs. So, I would figure yours does also. Does it? (I'm just trying to figure out what might be causing your problems, if you are still having them)
    I’m 5’11”. I ordered the hammock directly from Keltie at HH, new, not a blem or factory second. For the first post, I think all of the measurements make sense. It’s roughly 9’ from end to end and when I pull all the fabric to the middle, there’s about a foot doubled over, so add that to the 9’, it makes the advertised 11’.

Just a matter of me figuring out the lay. Maybe it takes hanging the foot end a bit higher to get my head and torso closer to the other end. I have top and underquilts arriving Monday and that will eliminate the need for the pad and give me a little more room/flexibility in the lay in the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ &amp; KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Buckle
    Hennessy Hammocks by design have less sag and a lower Ridgeline than the 83% generally set for gathered end hammocks. I find the lower RL annoying, but do get a comfortable lie. The sweet spot is when the hang is set so that the side tie out is about midway between your shoulder and elbow.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Hennessy Hammocks by design have less sag and a lower Ridgeline than the 83% generally set for gathered end hammocks. I find the lower RL annoying, but do get a comfortable lie. The sweet spot is when the hang is set so that the side tie out is about midway between your shoulder and elbow.
    I’ll try that. I have been putting it at the shoulder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234