Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders

Butt in a Sling vs Dream hammock

I have narrowed my next hammock choice down to a Butt in a Sling camper lite or. Dream hammock free bird. The free bird is 12 oz, the buttinasling is 9 oz. I have looked over several comparison threads, but they don’t answer my questions. I will be using ENO atlas straps or something similar. I don’t want to be convinced about whether I need a bug net or Whoopies, I have my reasons for what I want and am not looking to change my ways. So my big question is what’s more comfortable? I toss and turn so need a hammock that’s wide and will support whatever side I choose to sleep in. I currently have an ENO double and a homemade 11 footer. The 11 footer is more comfortable than the ENO, but I fall out of it more often, so I’m looking for an 11 foot hammock that’s a little wider than my homemade version. The buttinasling has a weight limit of 200 and I’m 175 so I’m a little nervous about being to close to the weight limit. I will not gain weight, and am hoping to lose a little, but still... the dream has a weight limit of 275. Those who have both what’s more comfortable? Am I safe close to the weight limit in the bias? I am trying hard to get my pack weight down and both of these will do that, they both have great reviews and both are in the price range I can afford right now. So what do you all think?

It just seems that, because a strap suspension is what you'll be using, there would be no reason to try to save 3 oz by going with a lighter fabric (even though you are looking to shave pack weight), which I have to believe is the reason the BIAS is lighter. I know the Smurfs can help you choose a comfortable fabric, if you go that way. I've never worked with BIAS to build a hammock so I don't know what options they offer.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    Never slept in a dream

Been sleeping in my bias for a few years every night love it
    Reckon both are though but the bias has held up very well FYI

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles

"
    The bias hiker light is made of a soft polyester material that's low on stretch and that has a taffeta-like feel, the Hiker Lite measures a tremendously comfortable and long 132" x 55" and weighs 9.5 or 19 ounces (single and double layer respectively). Due to the hand-crafted nature of this hammock, exact measurements may vary slightly.
    "

If you're sleeping in the hammock, I'd say get the camper model. The hiker is too skinny and is a day lounging hammock. Dream hammock would give you hyperD 1.6 d the base fabric which is good and about 58 inches wide finished. simply light, Arrowhead, and warbonnet all sell near wide (, around 60 inches) basic nylon netless.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    It all comes down to the fabric, comfort is very subjective. If you're comparing apples to oranges, which I think you are, it's going to hard to give a comparison. As an example HyperD 1.6 and Argon 1.6 have less stretch than I prefer, but most hangers prefer no stretch. Robic 1.0 (in a Darien this will likely be lighter than the bias) is about perfect but I'm at the limit weight wise so longevity will likely be an issue for me.

I have a BIAS WW micro double layer that's 64" wide that I really liked. My Robic 1.0 DH Raven, also 64" wide, has replaced it for the reason mentioned previously.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I own one of BIAS's original 11' 1.0 WW. It's a great piece of kit, but I've cut my lengths and widths down to better suit me on the last two DH Freebirds.

I call it pretty much a toss up between the two on both their basic netless offerings, with a lean towards DH on the more expensive custom integrated models. BIAS gets the nod on lead times for the most part, but the Smufs build and ship in a week, once you get through the 3-4 week queue.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Raven & Freebird at home
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    DIY CostCo
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have a Freebird that I've been sleeping in full time since Jan and it's very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper and I get a great lay no matter which side I'm on.

• + New Posts