Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    GoLite / Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie

How low can you go

I recently picked up a Nest from a member of the forum and I just ordered the 3-season quilt sent from Jacks R Better for when I hang with my son.

Questions is if anyone has tried doubled up Nests. I was thinking that for my solo winter trips I could use both Nests as under-quilts for those very cold nights. I know it is very subjective, but (leaving top insulation out of it, there are a lot of options there) how low do you think the temp could go and still stay warm?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a Nest+NS down to about 20 once and was very toasty. I'd guess that with a proper fit you could get to single digits.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    If two Nests have 5" of total loft and one Winters Nest has 4" of loft ...seems like two Nests should be good for sub-zero. Unless one gets compressed.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I camped out this past Fri night at a state park here in NE GA and doubled up with both my Nest and No Sniveller as underquilts. It got down to 26 deg with a very slight breeze and I was cold all night. I had base layers and fleece on with head gear too.

I'm a cold sleeper though.

I was up in the high uintas in Utah last year with the Scouts. I was hanging with the Snugfit. It hailed almost all night the 2nd night of our backpacking trip. The hail was still on the ground in the morning, and the thermometer read 17 below. I was so hot that night (with a 30 degree sleeping bag draped over me) that I ended up not using the sleeping bag. This is in a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer, so the moquito netting keeps a lot of the heat in IMO.

Rest of the nights were in the upper 30's / low 40's and again couldn't use the sleeping bag because of it. I'm thinking about getting a light "sheet" and using it just to have something draped over me but not be too hot.

Semper Fidelis

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    honestly,maybe im a warm sleeper, hanging in NE GA got down to low 30s under a waterfall, with just a '30deg' mummy bag as well as a $10 '40deg' wally-world sleeping bag UQ with base layers/stocking cap and was toasty.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_2674 View Post
    I was up in the high uintas in Utah last year with the Scouts. I was hanging with the Snugfit. It hailed almost all night the 2nd night of our backpacking trip. The hail was still on the ground in the morning, and the thermometer read 17 below. I was so hot that night (with a 30 degree sleeping bag draped over me) that I ended up not using the sleeping bag. This is in a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer, so the moquito netting keeps a lot of the heat in IMO.

Rest of the nights were in the upper 30's / low 40's and again couldn't use the sleeping bag because of it. I'm thinking about getting a light "sheet" and using it just to have something draped over me but not be too hot.

Semper Fidelis
    minus 17F with a 30F rated Snugfit and a 30F bag as quilt, and TOO hot? I know the Snugfit is rated conservatively, but that has to be a new record.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    There is no way that 30F is an accurate rating for the snugfit.
    I've used it with only a JRB stealth (sewn through) at freezing and been toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    minus 17F with a 30F rated Snugfit and a 30F bag as quilt, and TOO hot? I know the Snugfit is rated conservatively, but that has to be a new record.
    I am a very warm sleeper.

The Snugfit really is rated very conservatively.

If you aren't used to sleeping in a Hennessy, the bugnet combined with an extremely snugly hung tarp really traps in heat well... too well for me during the summer (when I need it most due to bugs). My HH is on its way for a zipper mod before I head to Iraq again so that I can unzip the netting so it doesn't retain heat.

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I recently picked up a Nest from a member of the forum and I just ordered the 3-season quilt sent from Jacks R Better for when I hang with my son.

Questions is if anyone has tried doubled up Nests. I was thinking that for my solo winter trips I could use both Nests as under-quilts for those very cold nights. I know it is very subjective, but (leaving top insulation out of it, there are a lot of options there) how low do you think the temp could go and still stay warm?
    Depending on whether you are a cold or warm sleeper... The two nests should be as equivalant or better than the winter nest that is rated for 0-10F.

I'm a cold sleeper and I have a winter nest and so far 20F is the lowest temp that I can sleep comfortably in. And thats with a baselayer, fleece top and bottom, wool socks, balaclava and hat. TQ was a 0 degree bag that I bought at Gander Mtn for cheap ($40).

My system is still a "work in progress". I hope to tweak it so I can get to 0F next season.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast