Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

Question Poncho Tarp?

I have heard of ground dwellers using their ponchos as tarps. I thought about making one 9'x9' either out of sil or tyvek. I would love the sil better, but it is hard for me to find, and I have TONS of tyvek.

Would this idea be worthwhile for hammocks?
    What would be the best material all around?
    Am I just wasting my time?

I plan on putting grommets on each corner and setting it up on the diagonal, tying the hood shut. Thanks
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've seen a couple of ideas using ponchos as tarps. They seem to do OK, but require a lot of attention to detail.

If you're looking for sil, call the Speers. I got my order less than 48 hours after ordering it!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Wow I had no idea that Ed was that fast!, thanks a lot. As far as detail goes, that is all my wife, I plan it and tell her what I need and she does the rest. Its like she loves it, or me that is.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'd read up on that idea a little more before investing to much time & money into it.
    the people that seem to like that approach are the serious gram weeny, ultra lighters (UL) & super ultra lighters (SUL).
    for one thing i like a little more coverage than i believe a poncho tarp would give.
    and another thing, what if you need to take care of some camp chore after you've set up camp & it's raining... like go get water.
    i guess most of the complications can be thought out & worked around, but it just don't fit my style.
    just some thing to think about. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Every now and then, you've just gotta love the postal service. I called him in the morning and he had it in stock and said it would go out that day since he was going to the post already. The next day it was on my doorstep!

The detail I was referring to is in the set-up. You don't get quite the coverage as you would with some other tarp set-ups. Just means you have to be a little more careful setting-up. But, dual-use sure is a handy thing.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Tim, thanks for the advice, I never thought about being stuck under it for all that time if I needed it. I like things light, but I still want to be prepared. I have tons of Tyvek, so I might experiment with coverage and lengths. Again, thanks

Dwight

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use a Golite poncho tarp as my rain gear. It's lighter than most rain jacket/pants setups plus it protects my whole pack. I don't use it as a tarp over my hammock because I don't think it would provide adequate coverage. A poncho/tarp would also provide a good ground setup in case of catastrophic hammock failure while on the trail.

I have been thinking about using the poncho tarp in my hammock setup as a blowing rain and wind blocker by setting it up as a "wall". I haven't tested it this way yet.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have been thinking about using the poncho tarp in my hammock setup as a blowing rain and wind blocker by setting it up as a "wall". I haven't tested it this way yet.
    now that's a good idea. plays right in w/ the extra attachment points i have on my tarp.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    now that's a good idea. plays right in w/ the extra attachment points i have on my tarp.
    I have to admit the idea came from the discussion of your tarp. I figure I can setup my cat cut tarp as normal and then use the poncho tarp in a lean-to configuration under the cat cut tarp. It would give me a nice area that would be sheltered from the weather where I could cook or just chill out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I just saw a thread on BPL about using the Go Lite poncho tarp as a hammock tarp. One person stated that the poncho tarp worked well while another person said their hammock got soaked and they had to bail out to a friends tent. Here's the thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...571/index.html

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast