WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Traveler w/ bug net?

Thank you for your patience, I'm a noob.
    I see a lot of folks love their blackbirds, and I'm considering one too.
    Just wondering why I'd choose BB over Traveler? Traveler set up 35$ cheaper, about the same weight. I will go single 1.1 for either. I don't need the cool shelf, I do like the ease of throwing the bug screen to one side. Any thoughts?
    thanks,
    leigh

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You can't go wrong with the Traveler. Same lay as the BlackBird, and can go netless when you like.

There's a review of the net here, if you haven't seen it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I like the WBBB over Traveler due to size...I may be wrong but I dont believe the Travler has a footbox and that is my favorite feature of the wbbb. See if any one in your area has both and possibly try and go check them out. If not, I say just buy both. Cant go wrong then.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I like the WBBB over Traveler due to size...I may be wrong but I dont believe the Travler has a footbox and that is my favorite feature of the wbbb.
    The fabric bed of both is the same size. The Traveler doesn't have the footbox, but that doesn't affect its lay, as discussed at length here.

With the Traveler you don't get the shelf or the ability to stake the sides out like on the BlackBird. But, you gain the ability to lose the bugnet fully when not needed.

I'm biased toward the simplest hammock designs.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'm biased toward the simplest hammock designs.
    But, is that not a matter of perspective? I know you are talking about the actual design of the hammock, but there is something to be said for the usage as well. A separate bugnet ups the fiddle factor once in camp; entry and egress is made a bit more involved too. I just finally got around to getting one of WB's bugnets for my Traveler and have been playing with it. I think it's the best of it's class in terms of weight and I do like the zipper placement and orientation over the other separate bugnets I own. However, it's easier (ie. simpler) for me to get in and out of hammocks that have an integrated netting.

Still the simplicity of design in the Travelers does better lend itself to field repairs, especially since there isn't much to go wrong. That and the fact that it is a very comfortable hammock, make it a seasonal favorite of mine. I'm lucky living where I do because I can go sans netting most of the year if I get high enough...altitude; not the other 'high enough'.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    i just changed the travel net design a few days ago. i had one customer ask for a custom traveler that was as large as would fit in the travel net, this is only about 10'8" hammock. i liked it, but decided to scale down the net to fit the regular travler hammock instead.

now, the rl of the traveler supports the netting, and nothing is needed to suspend the net outward from the end rings. the end rings are still there in case someone wants to use on a shorter hammock so they can tension it, but this is no longer needed if using with the traveler.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    A separate bugnet ups the fiddle factor once in camp; entry and egress is made a bit more involved too.
    I guess it is a tiny bit more involved to get in and out since the net isn't physically attached.

I don't know about the fiddle factor, though. Leaving the bug net on the hammock is pretty simple, and you just have to snug up the ends of the net after you hang the hammock. That is on par with staking out the BB sides, as far as effort is concerned.

JMO...both are wonderful hammocks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    now, the rl of the traveler supports the netting, and nothing is needed to suspend the net outward from the end rings.
    Even better...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can see the Warbonnet bug-net on my diy hammock at around 4:00 minutes on this video....Hammock How-Tos PART 4
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Even better...
    yeah, all i could think of was "why didn't i design it like that to begin with?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast