Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images

Nano 7 suspension

I replaced the carabiners with a pair of Opie's Whoopie slings and added his structural ridge line (SRL). The carabiners will be used to connect the adjustable eyes of the whoopie slings to my straps, 6' long x 1" wide with a pair of dutch clips. The Whoopie slings, SRL and carabiners still fit in the stuff sack and I wrap the straps around the outside. It's still an amazingly small package.

I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I'm going hanging in two weeks so I'll take pictures and post a report afterwards.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    That's a great modification to the nano. At some point you might want to look at swapping the carabiners with a marlin spike. It works well with my 1" polypro webbing.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon/SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    That's a great modification to the nano. At some point you might want to look at swapping the carabiners with a marlin spike. It works well with my 1" polypro webbing.
    That's what I've recently started doing with my Nano 7...i just keep my eyes peeled for a couple of sticks while hiking.

Also, I've been running the tree strap through itself (both ends have loops sewn), so the entire setup fits in the nano's pouch and no biners or dutch clips necessary.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    How is the sewn channel on the Nano holding up with the slings running thru it? I would worry that the small diameter of the sling and the delicacy of the fabric will split the fabric...
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Mine is holding up fine. I put some 550 cord on my dynagline slings to head off any issues though.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    How is the sewn channel on the Nano holding up with the slings running thru it? I would worry that the small diameter of the sling and the delicacy of the fabric will split the fabric...
    I use home made whoppie slings and havn't seen any signs of anything bad yet.

I am really going to test this setup this weekend, with a week of packrafting/hanging in northern Sweden.

So, i report back after that, but i am sure it is fine !
    (Otherwise i might have a problem )
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I dont think this is as big an issue as some think. Most of the time its either the cord of the fixed eye part of the sling thats making contact, or the combination of the fixed eye and the bury... In which case its not a single strand of cord.

However, there are a couple options one can take if they feel this is an issue.

Run the fixed eye through the channel twice. This will add more rope bulk to whats contacting the fabric.

Or whip it like a WB. Run some smaller utility cord through the channel and tie it off. Then girth hitch the sling to the hammock body behind the knob.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Or whip it like a WB. Run some smaller utility cord through the channel and tie it off. Then girth hitch the sling to the hammock body behind the knob.
    That's exactly what I did, but I used a zip tie to set the whipping, and it works great.

-Mike

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    billvann: "my straps, 6' long x 1" wide with a pair of dutch clips. The Whoopie slings, SRL and carabiners"

I have a Nano, removed the stock biner, and simply placed the 1" strap through the gathered end channel and put it through the a single strap loop and cinched it--this end always stays on the hammock. Then with free end, use with Dutch clips or biner. One strap, one hardware (either Dutch clip or biner) per end. Simple.

Is there something (other than, maybe, the drip ring from hardware "on the line") about your system that is an advantage? Adjust tension on suspension while still in hammock (?) with Whoopie rather than getting up and doing it at the Dutch? I suppose you can remove the strap from the hammock easily for storage, but it just seems like a lot of hardware. Thoughts?

I'm trying the Nano and like it--wondering about its long term resilience. Seems fragile, but we'll see. And GT is great, so should help if it stresses at seams and tears from use (not abuse). Thanks for your post, billvann.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I have a Nano, removed the stock biner, and simply placed the 1" strap through the gathered end channel and put it through the a single strap loop and cinched it--this end always stays on the hammock. Then with free end, use with Dutch clips or biner. One strap, one hardware (either Dutch clip or biner) per end. Simple.
    If I understand your description it sounds like the only adjustment you have is by wrapping the Dutch Clip end around the tree, so you are limited to increments of your tree diameter.

With Whoopie Slings or cinch buckles you have greater adjustment range "from 0 to max whoopie" You could achieve the same range by cutting your webbing in two and incorporating a marlin spike to join the two as needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast