Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because I can be in the hammock and see how the the UQ fits at the same time, I use a UQP to make things less critical. There are also competing theories about how tight to make the foot end. One school says it should hug the gather end and that intuitively makes sense. But intuition can sometimes lie ("I just need to take a nap." when hypothermia threatens). The other schools says, "You don't lie parallel to the hammock, you lie on a diagonal. As such, having the UQ cinched tight actually creates a gap as the foot end it pushed out. The recommendation is to keep the foot end bungee looser so it can expand and still hug the hammock in that asymmetrical shape.

Perhaps someone who has a cooperating partner can video both styles and see if tight or looser (I don't mean hanging down loose, I mean not cinched really really tight) is preferred.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Because I can be in the hammock and see how the the UQ fits at the same time, I use a UQP to make things less critical. There are also competing theories about how tight to make the foot end. One school says it should hug the gather end and that intuitively makes sense. But intuition can sometimes lie ("I just need to take a nap." when hypothermia threatens). The other schools says, "You don't lie parallel to the hammock, you lie on a diagonal. As such, having the UQ cinched tight actually creates a gap as the foot end it pushed out. The recommendation is to keep the foot end bungee looser so it can expand and still hug the hammock in that asymmetrical shape.

Perhaps someone who has a cooperating partner can video both styles and see if tight or looser (I don't mean hanging down loose, I mean not cinched really really tight) is preferred.
    There’s also the balance between cinching it down to eliminate drafts but tightening too much likely causes the material to bunch up creating openings.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    So if I order a HQ UQ with an extended primary suspension to fit my 12' hammock I can use this method of knots if I need to use it on a shorter hammock?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    So if I order a HQ UQ with an extended primary suspension to fit my 12' hammock I can use this method of knots if I need to use it on a shorter hammock?
    You can. It is just shock cord.
    Tie a knot that you can get out easily and you can take the knot out to go back to your 12' hammock.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can. It is just shock cord.
    Tie a knot that you can get out easily and you can take the knot out to go back to your 12' hammock.
    Thanks Shug. Frank also got back with me today and told me the same thing. Now the wait begins for the new UQ I just ordered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12