Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Right now you can get the best of both worlds. inexpensive and High quality. Dutch is running a sale on his Hexon 1.7 hammocks. full 11 footer for $30.00 not bad. I have been using a 126" hammock I got off of Amazon for under $10.00 for three years. I love it. It is comfortable and I still recommend that route. But I just picked up the Hexon Hammock and will see if it really makes a difference. The fabric has a nicer feel, though as I got it a week ago I cannot comment on the comfort overnight.

Hammock
    it varies too much to choose
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB and AHE
    Suspension
    whoopies or becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    Before i spend more money, which im not apposed to, I am curious what makes that hammock better than what I have.

Why did you buy your hammock? What makes it worth the extra? Would you do it again given the new stuff out there?
    Sticking with the Chameleon for a moment, its big draw is probably its modularity - how it fits into a whole system of updates and upgrades - and the features it comes with like various pull outs and whatnot.

Is all that necessary? Not at all. A bit over four years ago I grabbed a netless 1.6 Argon hammock from Dutchware for $32 and it's still going strong today. I bought that particular hammock because I had no idea what I needed/wanted and figured a simple style would allow me to learn without a huge investment. With the simple netless style, I can compare what I have and how I use it to the more complex, tricked out versions and decide if the upgrade will be worth the money.

Will you sleep better in a $100 hammock as opposed to a $30 hammock? It depends on what the extra $70 got you: more length, more width, more comfortable fabric, easier to hang consistently, easier to use in less than perfect conditions, ability to function well with a variety of nets/quilts/tarps/lights/covers/suspensions. Some of those details are not apparent unless and until you have owned different hammocks, or at least seen them up close.

I think what you get from the cottage industry is an attention to product detail and craftsmanship, even in the lower priced models, that is pleasing to own and lasting. Over the long run, that makes it economical no matter what the initial cost.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Big Red Love Tarp
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends

Smile

Why my family has moved through several hammocks.

Our first hammocks were an impulse purchase. I think around $12.00 US. At that price I purchased two and four sets of straps.

Then we discovered Hammock Forums. Learned about UQ and all sorts of hammoxk gear experiments.

I bought a cheap Green Hornet Hammock I really liked it.

Tried a few Hennessy Gammocks and found them uncomfortable.

I tried almost all the hammocks. I learned 10 ft long works best for me. I am short and exiting bucket type hammock was a project. I learned I am a left lay person, so that led to a left lay hammock.

New colors came out and had a strong allure to me.

I tried a bridge hammock, really linked it and exit was not a problem.

As my experience with Hanging grew so did my collection.

As with most things as experience grows taste in equipment changes, new equipment desired.

I also discovered after gaining experience I do not like to be enclosed. I only use a net when absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 02-28-2019 at 12:04.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My $170 Blackbird is my "expensive" hammock. That's really not expensive though compared to a good tent that will probably cost you about the same (of course you can spend $50 or $500 there as well).

It does everything you need year-round if you want. I just went with some other $50 hammocks to simplify and save weight. I rarely need a bug net other than a few warm trips, which I usually avoid altogether.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have and use both very often - for basic 3 season use I say 'Keep It Simple' with a comfortable simple gathered end hammock and Fronkey style bugnet. Sounds like you already have the important more expensive purchases (TQ/UQ/Tarp).
    One of the nice things about hammock camping is that the hammocks themselves are the least expensive part. Try several materials and see what you like best.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper or no net
    Tarp
    Toxaway or asym
    Insulation
    Down/Apex UQs
    Suspension
    Ultimate straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    ...Before i spend more money, which im not apposed to, I am curious what makes that hammock better than what I have.
    Maybe nothing. I'm a big fan of starting simple in this hobby and then moving into more expensive hammocks that you believe satisfy some wants and needs derived from experience, instead of fears of what you might want/need and are reluctant to get outdoors without. Starting simple helps you get outdoors. Once out there, its about what else you might want, and of course, the never-ending search for hammock nirvana.

My progression was starting with an integrated net hammock and going to a netless. Sometimes I carry a net, sometimes I don't, and I like that modularity. Others might not want to think about that as they're getting ready, having their setup ready for whatever they encounter, and that's cool. In some ways, I'm moving in that latter direction, in want of a more grab and go setup.

I think the Chameleon certainly fits that bill, as do several others. One thing that has been consistently true is that one can get a more expensive hammock, see what its all about, and then put it up for resale here at anywhere from 75-90% of original cost. That's not a bad "rental fee" to try something out for a time. Of course, you do it a lot and that "fee" ends up being the cost of an expensive hammock. Not that I know anything about that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon.
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ OV pod
    Thanks for all the replies. Really enjoy hearing what others think and why. I ended up making my decision. I bought the chameleon like I really wanted to begin with. I'm just too darn curious to see the difference and wanna compare after using them both for a while. Plus an extra hammock for a friend or my wife is always good. If I really feel as though it was a waste of money then I'll throw it up on the foruma for sale like someone suggested.

To be clear the money was not the issue, I saw a few comments about the money. I was really more or less curious what seperates a good hammock from a sub par one. Why pay the extra? Not so much whether the price point was good but rather what part of a hammock makes it better. Kind of like paying extra for 950 down instead of 800. I'm a numbers guy and didnt see the difference between the lower end and higher end hammocks. Not that I was worried about the money.

With that said, I ended up finding my answer. The generic is simply, there is no big difference until you know what you really want and then there is a big difference in getting what you want specific for your needs and wants. I got a few specifics from people on what made them want the hammock they bought

Feel free to continue to comment why you chose your hammock, cheap or expensive alike.

I'd like to mention a counter-argument that I haven't seen mentioned here that has so-far kept me from spending much on a hammock, and that is that you can be more relaxed about cheaper items. I spend a lot of time in my hammock on my own property, and the cats occasionally jump on or in it with me and the kids like to use it as a swing. I use a $40 Equip model from walmart w/integrated bug net, dual zips, and flip-over netless ability, so if the cat puts a hole in the bug net or worse, it's not that big of a deal. I've actually bought nicer hammocks for friends, and I keep eyeing the Dream Hammocks and Chamelion, but keep hanging the Equip because I'd have to kick the cats out of a more expensive model and keep the kids from playing with it. The additional comfort, color options, etc may come with a reduced usability and enjoyment cost beyond just the initial cash outlay.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/Doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    I'd like to mention a counter-argument that I haven't seen mentioned here that has so-far kept me from spending much on a hammock, and that is that you can be more relaxed about cheaper items. I spend a lot of time in my hammock on my own property, and the cats occasionally jump on or in it with me and the kids like to use it as a swing. I use a $40 Equip model from walmart w/integrated bug net, dual zips, and flip-over netless ability, so if the cat puts a hole in the bug net or worse, it's not that big of a deal. I've actually bought nicer hammocks for friends, and I keep eyeing the Dream Hammocks and Chamelion, but keep hanging the Equip because I'd have to kick the cats out of a more expensive model and keep the kids from playing with it. The additional comfort, color options, etc may come with a reduced usability and enjoyment cost beyond just the initial cash outlay.
    You make a good point. But I would add that it comes down to the intended use of the hammock. I own a cheap hammock- which is used for lounging at home, for the kids to play in, etc...I don't really care what happens to it. But my Dream Hammock is only for camping/backpacking. It's my overnight hammock, because of its size, comfort, and features. The cheapy is for everything else. I wouldn't want to backpack with it, because it's short, heavy, the fabric is stiff, and doesn't have an integrated bug net.

To be fair, I don't believe any of the cottage vendors market their hammocks as day loungers or kids' play items. They are designed & built for camping. So for me, it comes down to having the right tool for the job.

Hammock
    Just Bill Happy medium
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY/LL gear
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    My home lounger/party/loaner hammock is table cloth hammock for these reasons. Its 10$, durable as hell and dont care if it rips. Also ridiculously comfortable due to its huge size. But it's also bulky and heavy...

The comparitivly expensive ones are selfishly mine and for the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast