Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I've spent a large amount of time in cheap hammocks.

I started with a utility tarp that I folded up into a "hammock tent". It was ok until it rained.

That's when I got a "blue" one from Walmart, and used that for a summer before I saw one Sports Authority, back when they existed, which was was an olive and slate two-panel color combo, for only $10 more.

I used that for a few years, and went through a couple. at each new hammock purchase, the old hammock was demoted to "gear hammock" status. When I went to get my next one, I discovered Sports Authority had gone out of business, and decided to spring for the Eno as my budget had increased.

Now, the Eno is my gear hammock, and I have graduated to the Chameleon.

So. What's the difference?

The fabric of the Chameleon is MUCH better than any of those others. The single panel construction doesn't have any itchy seams, the way it stretches is disconcerting at first, but much more comfortable once you adjust your hang, plus the fabric isn't as course.

You can get netless with the same fabric, and yes it will be lighter without the zipper and net and top cover, BUT if you need the net or top cover, the Chameleon should be lighter WITH the net, than a netless will be with a bottom entry net.

The top cover has it's good and bad points. it keeps off the moving outside air, which keeps you a little warmer, but that also prevents moisture from being taken away by those same air currents, and I've found that the net window is limited in it's ability to vent enough to stop condensation from forming on the inside of the cover... depends on conditions. Even with the top cover unzipped for increased venting, I still woke up yesterday to condensation overhead. none this morning though. Like I said it depends.

Before i had a Chameleon though, I never had a top cover and was just fine, there is definitely a difference in how warm I feel though.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Really enjoy hearing what others think and why. I ended up making my decision. I bought the chameleon like I really wanted to begin with. I'm just too darn curious to see the difference and wanna compare after using them both for a while. Plus an extra hammock for a friend or my wife is always good. If I really feel as though it was a waste of money then I'll throw it up on the foruma for sale like someone suggested.

To be clear the money was not the issue, I saw a few comments about the money. I was really more or less curious what seperates a good hammock from a sub par one. Why pay the extra? Not so much whether the price point was good but rather what part of a hammock makes it better. Kind of like paying extra for 950 down instead of 800. I'm a numbers guy and didnt see the difference between the lower end and higher end hammocks. Not that I was worried about the money.

With that said, I ended up finding my answer. The generic is simply, there is no big difference until you know what you really want and then there is a big difference in getting what you want specific for your needs and wants. I got a few specifics from people on what made them want the hammock they bought

Feel free to continue to comment why you chose your hammock, cheap or expensive alike.
    If you pm me your order number I will trick you hammock out for free. You don't have to carry everything because it is modular but it will give you options.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I slept in my first Dream Hammock 1.0 Freebird for almost 1000 nights. When it got retired, I was using a flashlight to check it out, with the intention of heading to the woods with it.

I made a few adjustments on the second one. Went from 10' to 10.5' length, down from 65" in width to 60". Also stepped up to 1.3 material from the discontinued 1.0, added a handpull, and ditched the mesh ridgeline organizer for a gear sling.

I don't look as any of this really as bells and whistles, but more having the chance to work with the builder to fine tune their basic netless hammock design into exactly what I wanted. After all, I had nearly 1000 nights to make those decisions.

All of the above is pretty much impossible outside of our HF Cottage Industries. Pretty sure I have the hammock for me that Outdoor Vitals will not and probably cannot build. They don't have Smurfs

Well Done Dutch!
    However this somehow doesn't surprise me
    Signature suspended

I am considering this as my first hammock. To be used for motorcycle camping. I am 80 kg and 1.85m. I side sleep.
    Will this be a disaster?

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/pr...eid=c1cd6099c5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t have to get a fancy hammock with shelves and dual lay and bugnets.

You can get a really nice simple, 11 ft hammock for under $50

Wow, that’s service

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryRees View Post
    I am considering this as my first hammock. To be used for motorcycle camping. I am 80 kg and 1.85m. I side sleep.
    Will this be a disaster?

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/pr...eid=c1cd6099c5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    make this it's own post... it's not polite to hijack an existing post, and in the end it just confuses everyone

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    make this it's own post... it's not polite to hijack an existing post, and in the end it just confuses everyone

Thanks for the advice. I will do as you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    You make a good point. But I would add that it comes down to the intended use of the hammock. I own a cheap hammock- which is used for lounging at home, for the kids to play in, etc...I don't really care what happens to it. But my Dream Hammock is only for camping/backpacking. It's my overnight hammock, because of its size, comfort, and features. The cheapy is for everything else. I wouldn't want to backpack with it, because it's short, heavy, the fabric is stiff, and doesn't have an integrated bug net.

To be fair, I don't believe any of the cottage vendors market their hammocks as day loungers or kids' play items. They are designed & built for camping. So for me, it comes down to having the right tool for the job.
    For me, I would take the cheap hammock camping and only use the expensive one at home. too much can go wrong in the woods and i'd rather wreck the cheap one than the expensive one.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    For me, I would take the cheap hammock camping and only use the expensive one at home. too much can go wrong in the woods and i'd rather wreck the cheap one than the expensive one.
    Not for me. I can still find a bed or couch to suit me for a night at home at any time. In the woods, it would mean going to ground and that's just not happening. The way and what one packs will be dictated by our fears. HYOH

Run from that AO hammock
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast