Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Except it isn't....

Diagram from jeff-oh's post above, with a couple of added highlights:

Maybe I'm missing something, but structurally it looks like a reverse sheet bend. Technically, a different knot but structurally the same hence why I assume jeff-oh is getting success from it.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but structurally it looks like a reverse sheet bend. Technically, a different knot but structurally the same hence why I assume jeff-oh is getting success from it.
    All I can say is tie it up to an actual hammock and you will see that it's an entirely different beast.

At first — when I didn't even know what it was called — I semi-jokingly referred to it as the Death Hitch because it seemed too simple to really work.

From the first post in this thread: death_hitch_gif.gif
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-18-2019 at 07:07.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    It's the same, but the loading is on the opposite end. This makes a massive difference: compare a reef knot to a thief knot, for example.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    It's the same, but the loading is on the opposite end. This makes a massive difference: compare a reef knot to a thief knot, for example.
    True, and the nice thing about the Lapp knot in hitch configuration is that it is impossible to tie the anti-Lapp (Lapp version of reef-thief).
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Essentially a sheet bend with a pull-loop... If you know the sheet bend, you can do this knot right away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peterthooper View Post
    Essentially a sheet bend with a pull-loop...
    Nope. Take a second look.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just did a quick overnight with young son. Tied the Beckett on one end. This slippery Lapp on the other. Both worked without fail on Dutch's Spider webbing.

Both are very easy to tie. The Lapp's advantage is that if you have a lot of webbing (for larger trees or to span distances) you don't need to pull it through the CL like a Beckett. The Beckett's advantage was that it was more easily adjustable if I didn't get the tension/hangle just right.

Both untied about the same...after hanging all night had to give the tag end a good pull on both.

I'm not sure I have a preference just yet. I am liking both/either as an alternative to the cinch buckles I had been using and even to the whoopies my son uses (which is what I was contemplating going to before I saw this thread and investigated the Beckett).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peterthooper View Post
    Essentially a sheet bend with a pull-loop... If you know the sheet bend, you can do this knot right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Nope. Take a second look.
    If people would actually TIE these they might have a chance to understand the difference... and it is a BIG difference.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Just did a quick overnight with young son. Tied the Beckett on one end. This slippery Lapp on the other. Both worked without fail on Dutch's Spider webbing.

Both are very easy to tie. The Lapp's advantage is that if you have a lot of webbing (for larger trees or to span distances) you don't need to pull it through the CL like a Beckett. The Beckett's advantage was that it was more easily adjustable if I didn't get the tension/hangle just right.

Both untied about the same...after hanging all night had to give the tag end a good pull on both.

I'm not sure I have a preference just yet. I am liking both/either as an alternative to the cinch buckles I had been using and even to the whoopies my son uses (which is what I was contemplating going to before I saw this thread and investigated the Beckett).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My experience is that the Lapp is far easier to untie than the Becket, but there's a little trick (as usual). When you pull on the tail, hook the index finger of your other hand over the strap on the opposite side of the slipped bight. When you pull the tail, this simultaneously pulls the CL thru the strap loop and makes it crazy easy to release. With the Becket, some people tie a small loop of cord on the CL to achieve the same effect, but with the Lapp it is "built in" so to speak.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-23-2019 at 19:37.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If people would actually TIE these they might have a chance to understand the difference... and it is a BIG difference.
    I agree
    Cmoulder pictures showing death grip hitch
    Shows how to tie Lapp Hitch
    Onto a continuous loop
    Once it’s on a continuous loop, then it’s different than two ropes—and continuous loop makes it almost impossible to tie Lapp Hitch wrong
    That is unless someone new to the idea, thinks “Oh I’ll just tie a sheet Bend or I’ll just tie a Becket Hitch”
    As Ashley said (author of Knot Books)
    Any change in a knot makes the new knot a separate and different new knot. With possibly new and different qualities from original knot
    I paraphrased and did not Remember Ashley’s exact words. Ashley spent much of his life studying knots from many parts of world and many professions that used specific knots.
    I believe Ashley was right

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast