Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    death of the x bend...
    No, actually the X is my preferred suspension knot now. Thanks for posting that.

I dont care for the Lapp as a suspension knot. It does work good for things like hanging a bear bag though, or anything else that needs an exploding bend.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by publicalias View Post
    I used WB's Becket Straps, MeyersTech blue straps, and Dutch's Spider/Poly straps. Right now I'm about 260lbs and had zero issues/concerns with slippage using the three types. I feel the blue straps...sure wish them came in black...probably induced the least friction and were the easiest to release. Just my opinion based on the feel as I was using them with the Lapp.
    That's good to hear!

When I tested them it was with a bridge (bar end, actually) with a hangle of about 20° so it was pretty extreme. I'm about 170# so I'd take a WAG that the dynamic load (I think that's the right term) was about 500#.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also, just to clarify, it's a slipped half hitch for sure and not a slipped overhand?
    What ever this is: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ah OK, that helps explain it... Claytor Hitch, which I don't think I've seen before. I thought it was a half hitch direct to CL which I would envision as being problematic.

Of course I thought the same thing about Lapp Hitch at first!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Ah OK, that helps explain it... Claytor Hitch, which I don't think I've seen before. I thought it was a half hitch direct to CL which I would envision as being problematic.

Of course I thought the same thing about Lapp Hitch at first!
    Yep, Claytor calls it a slipped 1/2 hitch, with a second as a stopper. Is that not what it is, should it be called something else? Maybe it is different as it wraps around the 2 lengths of webbing coming back from the tree rather than 1 webbing strap?

When I use it with something other than Claytor- like with CLs on my 90 degree Hammock Tent for example, it seems like the same knot to me, I tie it in the same way, except there is only a single length of webbing coming from the tree and through the CLs. But honestly, when using the Claytor and it's original webbing from 12 years ago, I usually only tie off on one side of the webbing. It has made no difference that I can tell.

I wonder how long webbing that is never left out in the Sun is safe for? It still looks about the same, as does all my other older webbing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Interesting, it's kinda like a variation on a trucker's hitch, using as it does a loop and a half hitch.

In my admittedly limited experience nylon webbing can last a long time. I told the story elsewhere, but basically I helped pull a tractor with a big mowing deck out of a ditch with some 2" nylon webbing (tubular). The webbing was at least 20 years old, having been obtained from a relative who used to be a load master on a C-130.

Images
    Interesting, it's kinda like a variation on a trucker's hitch, using as it does a loop and a half hitch.

In my admittedly limited experience nylon webbing can last a long time. I told the story elsewhere, but basically I helped pull a tractor with a big mowing deck out of a ditch with some 2" nylon webbing (tubular). The webbing was at least 20 years old, having been obtained from a relative who used to be a load master on a C-130.
    Well, that's reassuring!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345