Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Thumbs up The Maiden Voyage

My first solo trek with my hammock was a near disaster. It was in fact the first and only time i've hurt myself in the backcountry. The mountain just jumped right up at me and dislocated my shoulder...praise be to the family history of being double jointed. it's no worse then stiff and sore. that aside; it was absolutely beautiful out there. my first night at the trailhead under a diamond hard sky dipped to 20*. i stayed remarkably comfortable with no more than my prolite 4 and my 15* down bag and my HH set-up under the awning of the ever convenient trailhead bathroom facility. i do sleep extraordinarily warm when well fed so a large dinner and a chocolate probably helped in that regard. as well as my first hang it was also the trial for a few other new pieces. my vargo titanium decagon alky stove performed superlatively, the key i found to making this stove perform is to use a properly fitting windscreen that allows adequate clearance (about 1/4"-1/2" around pot) and a pot that is just large enough to stow the stove, no larger and no smaller. most solo pots happen to be this diameter so i don't see this as a negative. also new was the hyperflow by MSR. without the bottle attachment i was pleased to learn it fits snugly into standard disposable water bottles. when pumping just as my mind begins to wander as i settle into the old familiar pump routine i glance down and have an "oh i'm done already?" reaction. and to avoid the freezing handicap i simply ziploc it and stick in a sock and sleep with it. the weight savings for me make this well worth while...

fresh from breakfast i attacked the unforgiving first hill, and was rewarded with a beautiful view of mist rising from the valley bottom as i basked in the sun on my mid-morning halt. no more than 3/4 mile later i took a terrible spill on a sadly misjudged bit of slope and was forced to turn back.

i'll be returning to complete that hike as soon as my shoulder is 100%

*this was in the thirteen mile roadless area of north central WA. in the southern portion of the kettle range just south of my hometown, Republic

**regardless of any all injuries sustained i'm irrevocably addicted to hammocks...where did i sit to cook before now? i can't seem to remember
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kallorne; 03-09-2010 at 13:57.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Congrats on the successful hang! Good to hear you came out without serious issues...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hammocks are great aren't they. Sounds like a good first trip even tho you got a bit bruised and had to cut it short . Next thing you know you'll be getting a bushbuddy stove. The pics are great. Of course i'm a bit biased as i'm familiar with that kind of terrain. With so little snow this year i was able to get out a couple of days ago, a month early,,,,,only i forgot my camera. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I thought this was going to lead to a hammock/suspension failure. Glad you're ok. It was probably a communist mountain slope - very sneaky! Great pics.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    I thought this was going to lead to a hammock/suspension failure. Glad you're ok. It was probably a communist mountain slope - very sneaky! Great pics.
    Me too! Glad you enjoyed your hang and that you are not hurt bad.

• + New Posts