DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Operator or Recon for a summer quilt set?

I currently have a 20F HG Incubator/Burrow and 40F Phincubator/Burrow. Looking at a quilt set for summer months and I think I would like to go LLG. I am a card carrying gram weenie and this set is truly meant for UL.. fast, light and warm weather.

Looking for feedback on the following, keeping in mind the rest of my kit and my goal to limit weight and volume. I want a 3/4 UQ.

50F Operator series - The Ghost Pepper & Habanero are 8.4 & 10.2 ounces respectively, in Argon 67. A bit over a pound for the pair. 7D fabric could reduce the Habanero by half an ounce. The Habanero uses baffled construction and both quilts use 900 fill.

60F Recon series - The weight of these is really attractive.. Ghost Pepper is sub 7 oz and the Habanero is 5.7 oz.. less if I choose the 7D. The Habanero is sewn through, but for what it is, I don't find issue. Plus I used a 3/4 CDT for warm weather a few years ago and had no problem with it. Like the Operator series they use 900 fill power. No secondary suspension on the Habanero; that could be a concern.

The 60F might be a better match to my 40's if I need to mix them up while the 50F might be too close to the 40's..

I would love some feedback from any of you who have pondered the same... And, from those of you who have the Recon Series. Thoughts?? I can find nothing on youtube for the Recon series...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    In almost the exact same predicament myself with regard to the uq. In a few weeks I'll be getting the 50 operator uq. Here's my thought. The recon, rated at 60 would only get use for a few nights a year. It would have to be dry, 65 degrees overnight as a low and low (slightly cold sleeper) and little wind -esp with the sewn thru. As I usually camp near water to boot.
    The 50 operator would get used significantly more due to the bigger temp range for a minimum of grams more. More use of the operator, means less use of my 40 degree uq. Saves slightly less weight oversll vs the recon but saves that weight much more frequently.

As far as the recon tq, I just cant wrap my head around a 3/4 tq, so deff a no-go on that. But I already have a 10oz 50 degree tq too...

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Just want to chime in and say I got a cedar ridge 50 top quilt. Also a phoenix 40 prem.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thinking in terms of my kit..

I have a dedicated set of gear for when I am going fast and lite... Summer trips of one or two nights. A UL cookkit, frameless pack, asym tarp... That would be when I would want to use these quilts.

From a temperature perspective, either the 50 or 60 could work.

I'm not considering a 3/4 topquilt... Just the short under quilt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have the 60 degree recon set and I really like them for the summer months. They pack down to nearly nothing and have taken them down to around 55 before getting chilled and yes I'm a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    With what extra layers? If its summer, I'm only in shorts, regular socks, tshirt and a feather weight 6oz hoodie.
    For the hammock gear uq, for example, my 40 degree uq only works to about 47 degrees with the above clothing. So if the 60 recon actually work to 55, I may be interested again. If I need a down puffy, that defeats the purpose of that extra weight savings.

Talking just uq again here. The recon tq wouldnt worknfor me since I'm not carrying a coat.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I have the 60 degree recon set and I really like them for the summer months. They pack down to nearly nothing and have taken them down to around 55 before getting chilled and yes I'm a cold sleeper.

Interesting... Thank you. Are there cinch cords head and foot? And, only a primary suspension correct?

Let me add a little bit more dimension to my original post. I tend to sleep warm. I do a lot of backpacking in the mid-summer. 40F quilts are often way to much warmth for mid-summer nights and I have been contemplating making a silk top quilt for a few seasons, and using that in summer venting the Phincubator. I've used a DIY CDT TQ & 3/4 UQ for two summer seasons and gave it to someone who needed a set to get started. In the heat of summer, I often tossed that TQ off and slept with nothing. I made another CDT TQ but given the fabric on the CDT's isn't water resistant, packs down large and is quite heavy, it isn't ideal for my uses on trail. The CDT UQ is sewn through construction and I had no issue with that into the mid-50's in shorts and short sleeved shirt.

This year I made myself a HalfWit hammock, I am happy with but going with no top coverage on my legs isn't going to work when bugs are up and I don't trust that skeeters won't be able to bite through the silk TQ.

Additionally, both of my Burrow TQ's are standard length, 74" and even at 5'11" pull way up over my head.. I like to sleep with my legs bent. A short Burrow, at 69" might work, but for cold weather I don't want to risk it. For warm weather I would want something shorter than the standard Burrow.. A 65" or 70" Recon might be just the ticket.
    As far as temps.. my 20F HG quilt set have gotten me to an overnight low of 16F without issue, wearing only base layer, socks and a balaclava.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Just tied off my CDT TQ at 70" and it's perfect... That question is now answered. Recon 60F 70" TQ.

Now it comes down to the UQ.

The 3/4 50F Operator might not be a bad idea. Paired with a 60F Recon TQ it would add more flexibility with about a 2.5oz weight penalty. That considered, the 50F / 60F quilt set is still nearly half the weight of my 40F set and I'd have to think less than half the volume.

Still have the option to do the 7D fabric to save weight...

Anyone have feedback on 7D ? I have no experience with this fabric.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 03-03-2019 at 09:51.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Anyone have feedback on 7D ? I have no experience with this fabric.
    I would expect it to be just as durable as Argon 67. Side by side there's not really a discernible difference.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    I would expect it to be just as durable as Argon 67. Side by side there's not really a discernible difference.
    Thanks George.. any flaws in my logic that you can see?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast