Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Attaching Tarp to a Webbing-Based Suspension

Right now I have a Hennessey with the standard cable/rope suspension that's tied off to short tree straps. My Hex-Cat tarp clips onto a buckle mounted on the rope suspension with a Prussik Hitch, which is then slide up/down its length for adjustment. I like how simple & compact this attachment system is, even if it's not quite as flexible as the independent ridgeline setups are.

If I go to a hammock with continuous-loops at each end, J-Bended (J-Bent?) to a 1.5" Spiderweb tree strap, is there a similar way to attach the tarp, or can it not be secured right to the webbing? I haven't ordered the webbing yet, so I don't know if the same Prussik Hitch will hold tension properly, or slide down when the tarp/hammock are loaded.

A related question; is the sole purpose of the Dutch Hooks just to avoid threading the free end of the tree strap all the way through the loop at the opposite end? I know that feature is slightly more important when going with the long-tree-strap style of suspension where they are each 15ft long, just want to make sure I'm not missing some other advantage (durability?)
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Images
    See tips for a similar setup here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-Suspension

In your second question, I assume you meant Dutch Clips? Not hooks? Dutch Clips act as a lighter weight, more compact carabiner, and can make detachment of the suspension from the tree quicker and easier. For example, you want to move the strap higher up the tree, but a branch would prevent you from simply sliding it higher. Detach the clip, move the strap higher, and reattach.

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Yes, "clips" not "hooks" (even though it is clearly a hook, lol). So it really is just for getting the free end 'off' the end going around the tree, either for setup or adjustment? I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be hurting the strap or anything by simply running the free end through a bite/eye/loop sewn at the end. I guess another advantage is not having to thread your Prussik-attached tie-outs through the loop-end; on the Hennessey it's no problem since those bits are nowhere near the knot, but the strap-system is the opposite.

I did read through that particular thread you linked; looking much closer at the pictures it does appear they Prussik directly to their webbing. Now I just need to confirm that the specific Spiderweb 1.5 webbing & polyester Amsteel cord will work, if possible (which I now assume it should; the white webbing in that thread looks like it could be the similar HDPE webbing). It sure appears this Prussik method more or less works the same as several of the hardware-based solutions; basically the tarp-tension pulls the knot such that it kinks/bites into the standing line to hold its position.

Perhaps I'll do a 'hybrid' tarp suspension, and add two short lengths of cord or webbing at its ends, that will enable the tarp to effectively lengthen, and move up/down the fixed hammock suspension profile as needed. That'd give most of the flexibility of the separate ridgeline, but add miniscule bulk or complexity. I've never had to hang my tarp differently than the 'default' in varying weather, but maybe I've been doing it wrong.

So the 'load path' would be;
    1) Inclined hammock webbing suspension line
    2) Prussik Hitch loop (with a clip or toggle at the end)
    3) D-ring at the edge of the tarp, or that short section of adjustable tie-out
    4) Tarp body

Seems reasonable. Even if the loops had to be taken off the webbing each time, that's a fairly minor inconvenience (it's an easy knot) --the bigger issue would be not losing the little things.

Thanks for pointing me back at that thread; I'd skimmed it, but for whatever reason hadn't connected it to my specific application
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    MyersTech Hammock lab sells a connection system you are speaking of

Images
    Although I do use them, I don't personally think Dutch Clips are any "easier" on the webbing than simply running the working end of the strap through the looped end at the tree. Others might feel differently. Using the clips doesn't result in the webbing laying perfectly flat or anything, so they are bunched similar to running the working end through the loop. One slight exception would be if you chose the "sewn on" Dutch clips. In that case, the loop end of the strap is passed through the slot in the clip and then sewn in place, which should result in that portion of the strap laying pretty flat. The working end will still bunch up in the "hook" portion of the clip.

Whether usng just a strap passing through the loop end, a carabiner, or other hardware, it's always prudent to arrange the strap on the tree per the suggestion in the linked videos.

Dutch's

Shug's
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-03-2019 at 17:36.

I use a two line tarp suspension and frequently simply take the line from the tarp to some point on my daisy chain or even to the loop on the tree straps. I simply take the line and bend it over and make a taut line hitch with the doubled over line. I do not want to bother with pulling all the hammock line through anything. This is really a lot simpler than it sounds. I am currently packed and unable to access the hammock.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    Yes, "clips" not "hooks" (even though it is clearly a hook, lol). So it really is just for getting the free end 'off' the end going around the tree, either for setup or adjustment? I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be hurting the strap or anything by simply running the free end through a bite/eye/loop sewn at the end. I guess another advantage is not having to thread your Prussik-attached tie-outs through the loop-end; on the Hennessey it's no problem since those bits are nowhere near the knot, but the strap-system is the opposite.

I did read through that particular thread you linked; looking much closer at the pictures it does appear they Prussik directly to their webbing. Now I just need to confirm that the specific Spiderweb 1.5 webbing & polyester Amsteel cord will work, if possible (which I now assume it should; the white webbing in that thread looks like it could be the similar HDPE webbing). It sure appears this Prussik method more or less works the same as several of the hardware-based solutions; basically the tarp-tension pulls the knot such that it kinks/bites into the standing line to hold its position.

Perhaps I'll do a 'hybrid' tarp suspension, and add two short lengths of cord or webbing at its ends, that will enable the tarp to effectively lengthen, and move up/down the fixed hammock suspension profile as needed. That'd give most of the flexibility of the separate ridgeline, but add miniscule bulk or complexity. I've never had to hang my tarp differently than the 'default' in varying weather, but maybe I've been doing it wrong.

So the 'load path' would be;
    1) Inclined hammock webbing suspension line
    2) Prussik Hitch loop (with a clip or toggle at the end)
    3) D-ring at the edge of the tarp, or that short section of adjustable tie-out
    4) Tarp body

Seems reasonable. Even if the loops had to be taken off the webbing each time, that's a fairly minor inconvenience (it's an easy knot) --the bigger issue would be not losing the little things.

Thanks for pointing me back at that thread; I'd skimmed it, but for whatever reason hadn't connected it to my specific application
    Hey there. I'm the OP from the linked thread. The webbing I used is UHMWPE sold by Dutchware Gear. it's 2.4g/ft. I'm guessing the Spider 1.5 straps will work fine as well. You may need an extra wrap on the prusik, but maybe not. Just give it a whirl and see how it goes. Also, the line used for the prusiks is 1.8mm Zing-It (which is Dyneema fibers- same as Amsteel).

• + New Posts