Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

UQ for WIDE hammock

I have made many UQs for my horde of Hennessey hammocks, and they have worked well.
    I always made a pattern out of a table cloth, with someone laying in the hammock.
    When constructing them I made a break in the side channels so the hammock tie outs could go through there, holding the UQ in position.

Last year My son got a WBBB XLT and I got a DH Darien at the end of summer, and I am just now going to sew up some under quilts.

Both of these new hammocks are much wider than the HH, and allows us to sleep on a major diagonal.
    This has me concerned with UQ suspension and placement.

With all my previous UQs, the basic suspension is running from gathered end to gathered end,, Using the triangle bikini dart thingies.
    The hammock tie outs on each side running through the break in the UQ side channel helped conform the UQ to the hammock.

But with how wide these hammocks are, and the extreme diagonal we sleep on,, I fear the UQ will not want to "bend" way out to the diagonal points.
    If the UQ suspension cords are taught enough to hold the UQ snug to the hammock, it will pull the diagonals in? ( the UQ will be "cut" to that shape, but I fear the suspension will pull it in)

My DH Darien has UQ hooks, the WBBB XLT does not,,, should I add hooks to the WBBB ?

Any words of wisdom? I was thinking I may need to add heavier shock cord to the Hammock tie outs to counter the UQ trying to pull them in?

Thanks,
    Slack

Images
    Thoughts based on previous experience:

Side-channel suspensions are going to want to "taco up". If your diagonal lay is extreme, there will be a tendency for your feet to go out over the suspension line, at which point the underquilt will want to roll up underneath you. The suspension line will also want to force you to lay more in-line with the hammock. Adding heavier cord will only make that worse. So... don't do that.

A clew suspension will have similar roll-up problems if the quilt is narrow, but will not have the taco effect or the in-line squeeze.

A wooki style suspension with a full-width carrier fabric would not have either of these problems.

In my experience with 60" wide costco blankets, having a wider underquilt is the only good way to avoid the roll-up problem when going very diagonal. 60" quilt width seems crazy, but i have mine on clews and really prefer that over narrower widths.

That said, i find that i tend to sleep pretty inline regardless of the width of the hammock fabric.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Run your UQ suspension lines up to your hammock ridgeline, not the end of the hammock. That will help avoid having the quilt roll up under you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Its definitely harder for a uq to stay put with a wide hammock. Making a uq wide enough to still taco around a wide lay helps, like 55+". Triangle thingies help. Running foot end over ridgeline to head end of uq helps. Using a 3/4 lenth makes it easier to keep in place too.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    I plan on making the UQ as wide as the pattern dictates it should be.
    Does anyone have hooks sewn on the hammock as Dream Hammock offers?

Is a "Wooki" just mean it has a Full length top shell?
    Once the UQ is past your feet and head,, does it really matter if it is fabric or cord running to the anchor point?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    The Wooki yes is like a full length hammock with insulation (on an angle). Try the clew suspension as a way to avoid some of the "primary - secondary" suspension woes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've posted this before as this was discussed a bit on another thread...

I have a wide Raven and here's what I do to solve that issue...I have a long/wide Zeppelin and a regular HG Econ Incubator and here's what I do to keep them from shifting off my shoulders and feet. I tie a small loop of cord to the head side and foot side of my Dream Hammock tie out. I then tie a similar loop around the head side and foot side of my Zeppelin (on the triangles). I also do this on my HG Incubator as I nest the 2 underquilts. I then secure the loops with a tiny locking carabiner and it stops the underquilt from slipping off my feet and my shoulders. It doesn't appear to add much stress on the underquilts this way as there is a bit of give due to the length of the cord in the loops....

In the photo the top layer is the hammock, the middle layer is my HG Incubator and the outter layer is the Zeppelin. They don't line up exactly but are close enough...

Seems to work very well with the wide hammock and I no longer have any issues with the underquilt moving or slipping (was more of an issue with the regular width Incubator....)

IMG_20190109_165527.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions,, I am settling in on making a "Clima Shield Wooki" and adding Hammock hooks near/at the hammock tie outs (if needed),, or something similar to Steves idea.

Slack

• + New Posts