Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Florida - trip ideas 2 night

I’m looking for a 3 day / 2 night trip in central or northern Florida. Either a loop or out and back.

Any suggestions?

Daily distance between 8-12 but I’m not set on that - it can be more or less. It’ll be during the week if that matters.

I’d also like to see some manatees after the hike so if you have any ideas for that as well throw them my way.
    Timing is this week coming up.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 03-03-2019 at 19:35.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Check out Hidden Pond in the Ocala National Forest. It's on the Florida Trail so you can pretty much chose your distance. I always hike in from Pats Trailhead which is about 3.5 miles each way but I believe there are multiple ways in with various distances.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    Check out Hidden Pond in the Ocala National Forest. It's on the Florida Trail so you can pretty much chose your distance. I always hike in from Pats Trailhead which is about 3.5 miles each way but I believe there are multiple ways in with various distances.
    Thanks I’ll check it out

I read something recently about Hidden Pond being closed to camping because of bear issues. I would definitely check this out.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I read something recently about Hidden Pond being closed to camping because of bear issues. I would definitely check this out.
    Yea I saw that as well.

Pretty sure it is this alert

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/ocala...ces/?aid=51130

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Someone must have left some jelly donuts behind.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Yes. I will have to search my old posts. One of the last legs of the Florida Trail.

here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I am thinking about doing a section there while on my vacation.

Deaton Bridge Trailhead
    Juniper Creek Trail
    Alligator Creek Trail
    Red Rock Trailhead
    8.1 miles

https://floridatrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Juniper-Creek-Trail.pdf

0.0 > The Juniper Creek Trail begins at the picnic area on the Blackwater River directly across and upstream from Deaton Bridge, where it immediately dives into the floodplain forests along the river. Puncheons cross most of the wet and muddy spots, but don’t be surprised if you need to wade a little.
    0.5 > When the trail reaches higher ground, it turns to meet a forest road just beyond a tough-to-get-past gate. You’ll follow the forest road briefly. Watch for blazes re-entering the forest to your right. The road itself leads 0.3E to the main entrance of Blackwater River State Park, important to note if you plan to camp there or if your car is parked there.
    0.8 > The trail leaves Blackwater River State Park and enters Blackwater River State Forest, quickly getting into another boggy area with bog bridges. It then rises up into an extensive longleaf pine forest.
    2.5 > Crossing paved Indian Ford Road, an access point where you can park roadside on the grass, you’ll notice an old homestead uphill to the right. The trail continues through hardwoods and a stretch of young cedars, with a pitcher plant bog on a steep open slope just before the Indian Ford Creek footbridge.
    3.3 > After crossing Alligator Creek on the next footbridge, the trail draws close to Juniper Creek under the deep shade of the thick forest where mountain laurel co-exists with cedars, sparkleberry, and southern magnolia. It’s a magical place, with glimpses of the fast-moving stream and its scattered sand beaches through the trees, the trail undulating with the rugged terrain created by the ravines of feeder streams. Most of the streams are bridged, but you will drop down through several titi swamps, jumping from puncheon to puncheon to keep out of the mud.
    4.3 > Take the time to walk out to the sandy beach along Juniper Creek, one of the nicer access points to the creek along this section. It provides a good rest stop and nice views up and down the creek.
    4.9 > The Football Field campsite is uphill 300 feet to the east. It’s easy to miss the turnoff. Get your water from Juniper Creek down a lightly traveled path in the opposite direction.
    5.4 > Amid the beautiful setting of creek views and circling around swamps, there is a towering Atlantic White Cedar tree on the right hand side. This area is known for its champion-sized cedars; the tallest such cedar in Florida is along the Juniper Creek Nature Trail in Blackwater River State Park.
    6.1 > Emerging from the sandhill forest that sweeps down to the bluffs above Juniper Creek, you reach the Bluffs campsite, a cleared area with a stunning view of the creek and its beaches. A side trail to the right leads to a small shelter with a fire ring. Continue north briefly for a side trail to the left down to a beach for a water source and swimming hole.
    6.5 > Passing two side trails down to the creek, the trail is edged in mountain laurel, making for a beautiful passage in March. Note the whorled bark of tree trunks around you: those are Atlantic White Cedars. As the trail leaves the views of the creek, it rises up steadily through a longleaf pine forest.
    6.9 > Watch for the worn path to the left which leads 0.1W down to Red Rock Bluffs. This outstanding natural feature and scenic view centers around a series of clay cliffs eroding down into the basin of Juniper Creek. The tip of it is deeply undercut in places, so watch your footing. Mountain laurel accents the area.
    7.3 > After a walk through a longleaf pine forest with dogwood trees blooming in spring, the trail drops down to Red Rock Road, a paved road. This is the end of the Juniper Creek segment. The Jackson Red Ground segment starts across the road. There is space along the road to park a couple of cars, but the official trailhead is down at Red Rock Road canoe launch, 0.5W. Vandalism has been reported at both locations, so do not leave cars overnight.

"...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WB Black Bird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie/HG Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    I'm taking a handful of scouts backpacking next week and was planning on going to Hidden Pond. The closure caused us to find another location. The unfortunate part is that this was a plan"B". Our original plan was to go to Torreya which was devastated by hurricane Michael.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The Cross Florida Greenway was a hike a few years back.

There are a few trailheads from Dunnellon to the West of I75 to Santos Trailhead and Campground near the 301. This is part of the Florida Trail and the trail itself uses a land bridge that goes over I75.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Ocean Pond Campground, Oceola NF.

Right on the Florida trail. Drive a bit for manatees

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast