Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New guy from Charlottesville VA

I’ve been ghosting the forum long enough. Lol. I did my first hang last Saturday night in my backyard. I learned a lot. I learned if not for this forum, it would be my last hang.
    It was one of the most uncomfortable nights IÂ’ve ever slept. But I think I figured it out.
    Had an Eno double nest with an UQ rated for 40. I also had a thermorest pad. I was plenty warm, but did struggle keeping pad in place.
    Suspension was just some webbing I had from another hammock and made it work. But I think where I went wrong was the hang it self. It was too tight. I kept sliding down. And struggled to lay at angle. I think I had too tight, but since I didn’t have much else to stretch it out more with suspension, I guess that is where I should start.
    I am also considering a better hammock. Possiblely the Warbonnet. My son has already claimed the Eno, so no loss there.
    Since I live just off the Shenandoah mountains and hike up there regularly, IÂ’m looking forward to making hammock camping work. Watching Shug makes it a lot easier,

Off to make the cheddar to pay for this new adventure. Thanks!

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    SQUIDBILLY Black
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Welcome to the community.

Testing in the backyard is good practice. Foot end a little higher usually for most. roughly a 30 degree hang angle. https://theultimatehang.com/2017/10/...ffect-hammock/
    Brandon at Warbonnet makes some great hammocks, you want go wrong picking any of those.
    Shug is a hoot.
    Have fun.
    “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” -- Sir Isaac Newton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hi from Denton NC,
    Firebirds, we might cross paths at Grayson Highlands—Mt Rogers Hammock Hangs. Also you are welcome to camp with us at any or all Hammock Hangs in NC

Quote Originally Posted by KingsFord View Post
    Welcome to the community.

Testing in the backyard is good practice. Foot end a little higher usually for most. roughly a 30 degree hang angle. https://theultimatehang.com/2017/10/...ffect-hammock/
    Brandon at Warbonnet makes some great hammocks, you want go wrong picking any of those.
    Shug is a hoot.
    Have fun.
    Thanks for the advice. I know 30 is the sweet spot, just my suspension didn’t have the slack to get there.

I’ve been checking out the local hangs. Look forward to joining ya’ll one day soon.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Welcome from the Richmond area! We have a hang coming up next month at Natural Bridge. Here's the details: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...April-26-28-20. Check it out!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Va. Once you get the magic 30 degree hang, if you keep 'sliding down' you need to raise the foot end several inches higher up the tree than the head end.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Can I say, welcome to our club? Glad to have you aboard. Keep it hangin' high and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    Welcome from the Richmond area! We have a hang coming up next month at Natural Bridge. Here's the details: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...April-26-28-20. Check it out!
    I'll try to keep those dates open. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Welcome from Northern Va. Once you get the magic 30 degree hang, if you keep 'sliding down' you need to raise the foot end several inches higher up the tree than the head end.
    Well, I don't think I'll have that problem. Just pulled the trigger on a WBXLC. If I can't figure that out and be comfortable, I guess it's just not ment to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast