Thread: DCF Tarp

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

DCF Tarp

I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid when it comes to DCF tarps. My wife and I currently have two Warbonnet Superfly's and are interested in lightening up a little and the water resistance of these tarps. Since I would more than likely be buying two the price would be steep. To save some money I have thought about going to the standard with doors in the 12' version instead of the winter palace. Any thoughts about the standard 12' with doors compared to the WP? We do love the coverage of our WBSF's, but thought maybe the standard 12' w/doors would be adequate.

Also does HG typically have a spring sale? I thought I remember making some of my quilt purchases during a 10% off sale...

Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have the 11' standard with doors. Just perfect length for an 11' hammock, I would not want more. The width is adequate for 3-season camping, but I would go with winter palace for serious winter conditions where wind makes all the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A 12' standard really isn't going to provide you much more coverage than an 11 ft. My first DCF tarp was a standard with doors, and the width was the issue. I constantly had wind-blown precipitation coming in under the tarp. I traded the standard for a Winter Palace and haven't been wet since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've had no issues getting wet with my 11 foot standard with doors (using a 10 foot hammock) and I've been through some nasty weather with it. I usually use a UQP anyway, just to keep my UQ clean and block any wind etc.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I sold my 12' standard with doors as it simply didn't have enough side coverage. If I ever bought another CF tarp it would be the WP hands down. I love my SLD Winter Haven though so I doubt I will ever spend that much money on just a tarp unless they come way down.

Images
    People stay dry in those tiny postage stamp sized asym tarps, its all how you set it up. The size is a personal thing. Do you want the comfort and roomyness of the bigger tarp of you good with a more minimal coverage?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    People stay dry in those tiny postage stamp sized asym tarps, its all how you set it up. The size is a personal thing. Do you want the comfort and roomyness of the bigger tarp of you good with a more minimal coverage?
    They may say they stay dry but they aren't hanging in the rain we get in the south. It comes in buckets and side ways here at any given moment. So far this year we've had 20" of rain and expecting 3-5" more this weekend and early next week. These minimalist tarps do not work well in these conditions.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The standard is a "bikini" version IMO. The WP is the same size as a super fly. I second what SilvrSurfr said. Too little side coverage with the standard. I also replaced my standard with a Palace.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 03-07-2019 at 20:37.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you really like the Super Fly maybe play it safe and get the Palace. (HG calls it simply "Palace"... bigger market if you don't limit to winter, hmm )

I've had the Std w/doors out in some nasty weather and it did okay under the circumstances, but if you're experiencing really heinous weather on a regular basis it's hard to beat the Palace.

Maybe compromise and get Palaces and some really light hexes such as EE Paladin for nicer weather. Not cheap, but approaching DCF weight at considerably less cost.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I had a HG Stnd with doors for a few years. Eventually, I purchased a Superfly for by son. I found the Superfly to offer far superior coverage and ultimately sold the Stnd with doors and replaced it with a Superfly of my own. If you want a lighter tarp with less coverage, the Warbonnet Edge will do that. If you want a CF tarp that provides the same protection to which you are accustomed, you should bite the bullet and spend for the Palace.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast