Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DCF Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Nameth View Post
    This also happened to me during a storm with a Quest tarp I ordered when HG first offered them for sale. Getting some pretty heavy wind qusts one night when all of a sudden the head end of the tarp was slapping around the hammock suspension and bugnet. Same thing, the Beastie D ring snapped, the only difference is it was a hairline split and I couldn't see it in the dark, so I kept hooking my Stinger up to it and every time a wind gust would plow thru my Stinger would slide thru the split in the D ring.
    Anyway, finally figured it out and HG offered to repair it, of course, but I just replaced it with a Ti split-ring. I thought it to be an isolated incident, but since I have the spare split rings I think I'll go ahead and replace the D rings on my Palace as well. Thanks for sharing.
    What is a titanium split ring?

Never mind.. Disregard. I found them.

Why not just hook the stingerz directly to the pullout loop on the tarps? Instead the that black plastic ring that is there?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Why not just hook the stingerz directly to the pullout loop on the tarps? Instead the that black plastic ring that is there?
    Its a fail point. If you encounter winds that are so bad that it will rip your tarp, the ring will break first saving you expensive tarp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Its a fail point. If you encounter winds that are so bad that it will rip your tarp, the ring will break first saving you expensive tarp.
    After further inspection when I got home, and laid my gear out to dry.. I noticed a rip at the other end of the palace tarp. So I am assuming possibly when that plastic beastie ring snapped at the foot end, and the tarp was flapping because no connection at that end, there was too much stress on the head and and it caused the dcf to tear. Mind you this was my first night ever using this particular tarp.. So there was no other wear and tear on it. Anyway, I made the repair using the included repair tape, and it looks as good as new again.
    Last edited by Dirtbaghiker; 03-16-2019 at 15:45.

So i wouldn't bet on those beastie rings so much as a failing point and banking on them to break in heavy winds to prevent ripping the tarp..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    DCF does gain weight from water — about 40% (yes!), even when wiped down — although not from absorption but rather surface tension.

I once came home after a wet trip and weighed my ~10.5 oz DCF tarp (HMG Echo II, with guy lines) which now weighed ~14.6 oz despite the fact that it had been shaken out and 'mopped' fairly thoroughly with a cotton bandanna.

However, DCF still retains far less water than silnylon and most likely silpoly as well. HERE is an excellent, real-world test done by colorado_rob on WhiteBlaze.
    Cuben is essentially two fancy plastuc sheets that sandwich another layer to give it strength. Yes water will sit on the surface, but the material itself does not absorb any moisture the way silnylon does
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Strap-n-Lapp :)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Cuben is essentially two fancy plastuc sheets that sandwich another layer to give it strength. Yes water will sit on the surface, but the material itself does not absorb any moisture the way silnylon does
    Yes, which is why I said "not from absorption but rather surface tension."

However, as DCF ages and some of the plastic (Mylar) is lost to abrasion—thereby exposing Dyneema fibers—the material actually can absorb water as well.

And you will find if you weigh them that a very significant amount of water can "sit" on the surface even after a good wiping down. The good news is that when conditions are right they can dry out very quickly.
    Last edited by cmoulder; Yesterday at 19:43.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I was just out in the Black Head range of the Catskill mountains this past weekend. Saturday night a nasty storm rolled thru, heavy sustained winds, fierce powerful gusts, slush, pelting sleet and about 6 inches of snow from 1 a.m. - 10 a.m . I was in my hammock and under a standard HG DCF tarp while my son was in his hammock under a HG DCF winter palace with doors.
    I was ok.. Was getting a little breeze from sides and snow splash was very very minimal.. Nothing of any concern, though I was up most of night thinking the wind was going to shred the tarp because it was blowing harsh from every direction. No problems at all come morning.. I was releived and so happy my gear didn't fail me in this storm.
    My son , under the palace with doors had so much better coverage then I did, however..
    At 3 am he called out for me.. I jumped out of my hammock to make sure he was ok. The tarp seemed to be flapping around but was still staked in the ground, so I tightened the tension on all staked points and it seemed better. The storm was still nasty but I have the tarp a quick look over to see if everything was ok. I noticed the ridge line was so low and sitting on the hammock ridge line now. Then I saw the foot end ridge line was not connected to the tarp!! Closer look and I noticed that the plastic connector from the tarp to the ridgeline was snapped in pieces! So for a quick fix, I just connected the Dutch stinger to the tarps loop tab. Thankfully I use the stingerz and this was an easy fix in a nasty storm.
    Anyway.. The Palace tarp is just that.. A palace and it will keep you protected.
    Then standard tarp works also.. It worked for me in that storm..not as well as the palace, but it did just fine to ride out that storm. Now maybe if it was straight up rain my results would have been different? That is possible.
    There must be something you know about hanging a standard HG DCF that I don't know.Everytime I use mine I am impressed with how little coverage I have.The last time I used it was on a 2 night trip and the first night it rained about 1.5 inches with no wind.The whole time I was laying there thinking that if the wind starts blowing I am gonna be drenched.

Is there a secret to pitching the HG standard you could share with us?I always seem to have a hammock exposed more to the wind with it than my other tarps because,in my opinion,the side coverage is just not available due to the limited width of the tarp.The HG Quest gives me much more coverage but its a little heavier as is my Superfly so I only take the DCF when the proposed trail makes every ounce count.

Not sure id claim it a secret, i just pitch it low as possible. Notice i did say.. if it was all straight up rain my results may have been different? I also noted that i was catching a little breeze from all sides and minimal snow ..but nothing of any real concern. If you are looking for serious coverage and low weight.. go with the palace DCF tarp.