Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    I had a similar issue, but I fixed it with a pillow.

I bought a sea-to-summit pillow. I blow it up with air to the comfortable firmness for my noggin. Because I put minimum air in it, it conforms to the shape of the hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Comments, as usual, are all right on the mark. Try something small as support underneath you neck. Works for me.
    Last edited by Skytow; 03-14-2019 at 19:14.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i use a knit hat and a fleece hat. i put the knit inside the fleece and it makes a good thin pillow (for me).
    if the weather requires, i put one on with the other folded as pillow/ neck roll.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    My wife likes a c shaped neck pillow. Sje really digs how it stays with her no matter how she moves around. I like my small I inflatable pillow. Don't remember the brand, but it's got a flannel on one side and bright green nylon on the other. Just a half a breath into it a) keeps the back of my head and neck warm when it's cold out and, b) keeps my skull *just* enough off the "hard" fabric to be comfy. It's about the size of a disappointing orange (larger than a Clementine, a good deal smaller than a Monsanto monster...) and only weighs a couple ounces. I recently started experiencing a similar issue with head soreness after trying not having a pillow. I do fine for naps without it, which prompted me to try it out sans pillow. All night, however, gives me a dull ache in the morning. I won't go to the woods without it now.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    If the neck support route doesn't work for you, try a section of open cell foam, perhaps 1/2" - 1" thick, under your head.

I need great neck support everywhere except in a gathered end hammock, for some reason. The foam I use is ~1" thick and squishy. Works perfectly - no more headache.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use a rolled up T-Shirt, just under the Occipital area, that works just great for my needs.

Suggestions galore!

I slept with a shirt under my neck last night and it helped a ton. No sore noggin. I never would have thought to support my neck to prevent pain at the back of my head.

I plan to work my way through as many of your recommendations as I can. At first the fiddle factor of hammocks irritated me, but now I really enjoy it.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think that green/felt pillow is Sea to Summit. I looked at several and the real expensive ones sounded like lying on a bag of cornflakes each time I moved - read those product reviews - too much hi-tech innards. The Sea to Summit is nothing fancy; it just does the job I bought it for. Half the time or more, when I do use it, it's for my knee area. When I do use it by my head, it's nice not to have to put my face on nylon. I suppose a light flannel pillow case would be easy to make - or just stuff it in a tee shirt - but the felt side is soft enough.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I have a Klymit Pillow-X Ultralight. It's small, light, and bonded corner to corner. Makes a perfect cradle for my head in the hammock while supporting my neck - but I have to fill it then let air out 'til it feels right.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    I have injured discs in my neck and upper back. I had a very hard time getting used to a hammock at first because I was laying in the centerline of the hammock, and my neck hurt a lot. I've learned to get a little diagonal in the hammock with the end sling in line with my shoulder.
    I've tried using sleeping pads and blankets and different pillows to find that comforting spot. Sleeping pads kinds work but they are just not for me in a hammock for two reasons: one - it gets too hot; second - they move around too much. In the result I found that I need a small, thin and soft pillow, since normal bed pillows (I mean these) are too big - they crank the neck up too high. My neck is already up at an angle so a thin pillow is just right. As for now I found that Dutchware Gear has both a synthetic and an inflatable pillow. Dutch’s inflatable pillow is about $2 and 0.58 ounces.
    Also if your troubles are severe, try a bridge hammock instead of a gathered end.
    Last edited by clingy_possum; 03-18-2019 at 22:17.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast