Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by clingy_possum View Post
    I have injured discs in my neck and upper back. I had a very hard time getting used to a hammock at first because I was laying in the centerline of the hammock, and my neck hurt a lot. I've learned to get a little diagonal in the hammock with the end sling in line with my shoulder.
    I've tried using sleeping pads and blankets and different pillows to find that comforting spot. Sleeping pads kinds work but they are just not for me in a hammock for two reasons: one - it gets too hot; second - they move around too much. In the result I found that I need a small, thin and soft pillow, since normal bed pillows (I mean these) are too big - they crank the neck up too high. My neck is already up at an angle so a thin pillow is just right. As for now I found that Dutchware Gear has both a synthetic and an inflatable pillow. Dutchís inflatable pillow is about $2 and 0.58 ounces.
    Also if your troubles are severe, try a bridge hammock instead of a gathered end.
    I sprung for a thermarest down pillow. Super light, soft, and it has a cinch pull that you can pull to change the firmness to whatever you want. It is so soft itís like air. I place it between my head and shoulders to support my neck. The back of my head just touches the hammock. I also have upper spine issues and this was the one thing that made it click for me and hammocks. Oh and jacking the foot end up higher. Good luck and donít overlook the thermarest down pillow. Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    I do a 4"x(maybe)20" round canvas zippered sack filled with buckwheat hulls, in a japanese silk double ended stuffsack cover, pillow under my neck to support proper spinal alignment; just moved from a 10' 1.0 hexon netless to an 11' 1.6 hexon chamleon (i find it not stretchy enough with my question mark shaped spine) and my pillow needed adjustment before i moved. Lil more shells in (a godawful experience if ever i had one; large quantities/the whole shebang of buckwheat are easier to create containment measures for) and it got better. Pilkow breathes less when dirty, handwash the silk. Got mine from some yoga outlet online for around $25 works magic. Definite dance with amount of hulls to achieve perfect/proper pillowage(?). This all allows a smaller area of my head to come into contact with the 'stiffer' hammock fabric. Goodluck!! Hope you achieve zen!
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 03-21-2019 at 03:53. Reason: Spelling
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hi everyone. I've fiddled around a bit with your suggestions.

I tried support and/or padding under my head. It helped the head hurt issue, but I wasn't comfortable. I really liked support under my neck, but I've had trouble keeping it in place at night so I'm going to try to track down one of those C shaped inflatables. I'm a little concerned about the bulk, but it's worth a shot. I may try to mock something up after an upcoming sewing lesson.

I lay feet left and I did find I can adjust the pressure of the fabric behind my head by how and where I lay my right arm in relation to the edge of the hammock. Huh!

This whole gathered end thing is very different than my bridge, but I'm really digging it.

I'll continue to explore the suggestions from you all as I can get access to various materials.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I forget who posted it originally but one of the members on here used diy dog-bone shaped neck pillows. That might be something to try that isnít a full-on C but could stay in place a little better if you move around.

Quote Originally Posted by akford View Post
    I forget who posted it originally but one of the members on here used diy dog-bone shaped neck pillows. That might be something to try that isnít a full-on C but could stay in place a little better if you move around.

Ooo, I like that. And I could make two - one for me and one for my family's dogs to rip to shreds!

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    i forgot to mention that in order to keep my pillow from becoming lost under my back/butt, i tether it to a klemheist knot (oriented to slip towards the head end, but bind toward the center/foot end) built outta shock cord tied to 2-3 ft of paracord that lays somewhere between my head and the head end. keeps my pillow reachable if i reach up or sit or anything, handy if it gets tossed out and mostly off the ground (adjustablitiy is key), and easy to adjust whenever you lay down initially. i can pictures if needed, im wordy and sometimes it isn't helpful.
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    i forgot to mention that in order to keep my pillow from becoming lost under my back/butt, i tether it to a klemheist knot (oriented to slip towards the head end, but bind toward the center/foot end) built outta shock cord tied to 2-3 ft of paracord that lays somewhere between my head and the head end. keeps my pillow reachable if i reach up or sit or anything, handy if it gets tossed out and mostly off the ground (adjustablitiy is key), and easy to adjust whenever you lay down initially. i can pictures if needed, im wordy and sometimes it isn't helpful.
    I think that makes sense to me. Visuals are always good but your description was helpful. Of course, I have no idea what a klemheist knot is, but that's easily knowable via the interwebs and the Google machine.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    i like saltfly's solution! ima look into that. KNOTSBYGROG!!! animated knot instructions!! https://www.animatedknots.com/klemheist/index.php everything is about neutral spine position, the pillow under the neck pushes your vertibrea into place (i have whiplash which means there is no C shaped curve to my neck its like a tree trunk)
    J. Garcia

Problem solved for now - thanks to your conventional wisdom.

I don't have a C shaped travel pillow, but I do have a 6"x10" camping pillow stuffed with little foam bits.

Using it under my neck was only so-so until I flipped the pillow 90 degrees from flat on the hammock to upright, like a little vertical wall.

When I lay down, my neck compresses the center of the pillow and it provides just the right amount of support. The uncompressed portion of the pillow curls around my neck like a C pillow might, but just a little - 2 or 3 inches per side at most. It's just enough to keep my head in place with no tipping to the left or right, but not so much that it flops in the way or feels smothering.

I slept like that last night and for the first time since I can remember, in a hammock or in a bed, I slept through the night without waking up at all.

Ahhhh, bliss!

Now I'm on the look out for a tiny C pillow (toddler size!) or the smallest pillow I can find that will serve the same purpose. I don't think an inflatable will conform in the same perfect way, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not a UL guy, but volume matters - packing space on my motorcycle is limited.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast