Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Hurt

Head Hurt

I've been sleeping in my hammock every night.

Recently, I've been waking up from pain at the back of my head. The fabric is pulled tight behind my head, making it hard, not squishy or conforming.

I've attempted to resolve the problem by shifting my position in the hammock closer to the foot end, closer to the head end, shifting my weight left and right in the hammock, changing lay angle, fiddling with anchor heights, tweaking the adjustable ridgeline, and various combinations of those adjustments.

Everything else feels great! I seem to have a decent range of acceptable parameters that result in great comfort - except the back of my head.

I'm in a 1.7 wide Dutch netless. What a steal from his $30.00 inventory reduction sale!

I tried a 1.1 SLD Tree Runner. What a steal of a starter package! Though I found the fabric too stretchy for my 195 pounds, I don't recall my head hurting. I'll try it again tonight to confirm.

I would prefer to not raise my head by placing a pillow or something else under it. Though an obvious consideration, I'll reserve that option as a last resort.

Do any of you wily veteran hangers have any pearls of wisdom to offer that might help?

Am I doing something wrong? My insecurity knows no bounds!

Or is the answer simply to continue to fidget about - which I admit to finding enjoyable and interesting - in search of the perfect lay ?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images
    Try a rolled up baby blanket behind the neck, airplane C-pillow, or bunched up down throw or jacket. This will all give you neck support without lifting your head too much.

On the trail, i use my down jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    Recently, I've been waking up from pain at the back of my head...Do any of you wily veteran hangers have any pearls of wisdom to offer that might help?
    Try something like a small pillow or cushion, not under your head, but under your neck. Like you, I find that I don't need much of a true pillow in a gathered end hammock because the hammock fabric itself supports my head. What it doesn't support is my neck. To help, I have very small pillow roughly 12" long x 8" wide x 3" thick stuffed with something synthetic, hollowfill, I think. It goes under my neck when I'm lying on my back.

I've tried inflatables, but they're either too big or too firm, though I'd love to find one that worked. The pillow I have weighs less than 4 ounces, so it's very small and light.

Maybe supporting your neck more will take some pressure off the back of your head?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I've found that my Aeros pillow filled with just enough air to hold it's shape works for me - a little support without making me feel like it is lifting up my head. I've wondered how one of the airplane c-pillowss would work, but the weight might rule it out for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I've found that my Aeros pillow filled with just enough air to hold it's shape works for me - a little support without making me feel like it is lifting up my head. I've wondered how one of the airplane c-pillowss would work, but the weight might rule it out for me.
    Oh, definitely you want the inflatable kind, not the bead-filled ones. Then you can adjust it. They are light and fold up small enough to put in your pocket.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you use a pillow, just use a little. For me, it is very easy to lift the head too much and transfer pressure to the neck.

But ... though strange to ask, anything in your hair? I was a nerd computer programmer for a lifetime. When I retired, I figured it was time to migrate from the 2 + 3 = 5 world to one of art, poetry, music, etc. So I let my hair grow from crewcut to ponytail. So far, nothing musical/artistic/poetic has appeared (though some might say a BlackBird under a SuperFly in Porch Mode is poetic). And through most ponytails result in a gathering of hair all about one's head, in my case there was only enough left to gather it together from the sides - very sad. But, what there was, is held by one of those elastic, rubber band type things. I figure, if needed, I can used it to gather a tarp together or add some bungee action to a guy line. Anyway, I seldom remove it when I sleep and sometimes, I can feel this pain in the back of my head if that gathering, such as it is (sad), ends up in the wrong place. Just say'n.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-16-2019 at 17:59.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I use a small c shaped travel pillow for my neck, I know you dont want to use a pillow but it may be what you need to try

Leaiavoia and sidneyhornblower, I sure appreciate the recommendations. I was so focused on my head I hadn't considered neck support.

I'll give it a shot!

Thanks everyone else, too. It's super helpful to have multiple options for consideration based on your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    But ... though strange to ask, anything in your hair?
    Nope. Most of my hair departed long ago!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast