Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    ...I had double layer RR and the pad makes it just a little more tippy because it elevates you more....
    Yeah, same experience, and I felt that put my knees in "conflict" with the rigid sides of the hammock. I guess that's why we don't have them anymore? (the RR I mean)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've got both but use the double layer 98% of the time. I've used a wide inflatable pad in both and while it is comfortable it's a pain in the rear to keep it in place when used with a single layer. I wouldn't worry about the added tippyness as you'd have to try hard to flip out of this hammock. It does make it arguably more comfortable but again your adding weight which is exactly what you didn't want with the double layer.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I have used a bunch of pads 25" and 30" of various length for the past few years. I recently tried a 20" pad, which I did not think would work, but for the width of my shoulders (22") it is somehow the most comfortable so far. I believe this is because there is no extra pad on the sides to push in on my shoulders and the narrow pad sort of meshes in with the sides of the Ridgerunner as the sides curve up.
    It is tied for my favorite hammock and I do still use an underquilt to keep the sides warm.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My experience is the pad was a PITA. I had a single layer RR but I like the double better and if you like a pad it will stay in place with the double layer.
    PLUS, the pesky blood suckers are more apt to leave you alone with a double layer between your hide and their proboscis.

Images
    A pad in the second layer pad pocket in a bridge with a big ol synthetic sleeping bag and my pillow off my bed from home, makes for the most comfy car camping rig ever. I never even use my quilts car camping anymore. I just use my cheap old pads double em up in the cold and my big Wiggys full sized bags. And my full sized pillow off my bed is just glorious. I never want to get up in the mornings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I find a pad in the RR pretty comfortable. Mine is a double layer. See two different pads in the layers at 7:27 in the video below.
    An REI Flash (78" wide) and an Exped Downmat XP 9 (77.5" wide)
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    LW pad in double for me. Tried a UQ and hated it. Shoulder squeeze was horrible, and I felt like I was in a ditch like someone above said. Best is my Nemo pad with the short tubes. Really spreads the hammock wider compared to the longer tubes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    I've got 20+ nights in a single layer bridge (REI Quarter Dome Air) on a variety of pads. It can be somewhat difficult to enter and exit the hammock or switch sides without some portion of the pad sliding partially out of place. Over time, I've learned the best ways to get in, out and around in the hammock without the pad being too much of a PITA. I've been considering some sort of DIY straps or end-sleeves to help keep the pad in place since I got the hammock over a year ago, so it would be nice to have, but I'm not in a huge hurry to get around to it and I'll continue hanging in the meantime.

DSCF4383.jpgP1090840.jpg

It's always a tough call buying without trying... It would be nice to have been able to walk into an outdoors store and climb in - as I'm finding I'm not actually getting much sleep in my GE between broad shoulders (shoulder squeeze), arthritic knees (knee hyperextension), and numb heels* (that one seems to be uncommon here, but lucky me I get a trifecta).
    (* And to some extent buttocks :-) )
    I think the extra stretch of the single layer may help with that last as well - so I pulled the trigger on the single currently on Massdrop. If it turns out a pad makes it much more comfortable than without, and it still moves too much, I have an idea about fixing it in place.
    Thanks everyone for your experiences although only a couple of people were able to comment directly on using a pad in the single, all the perspectives were still good to hear.

I have the double layer and just an experiment tried one of those blue foam pads. It worked pretty good between the layers but would have been a pain without two layers because it wants to roll back up, so perhaps it depends on the type of pad?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast