Hello from the Mountain Loop

Hello, I am from north west Washington, pretty new to hammock camping, I picked up an Eno sub link for a backpack trip in Maui last year. On a trip to Colorado I found their Vulcan for 50 bucks at an REI garage sale, so off I went on a real wise guy move to test my quilt in an overnight in 18 (which I now, do not recommend lol).

So here I am, thinking I like not sleeping on the ground, but needing good stuff. So, aside from my introduction, how about some pointers?

I'm considering a hammock gear econ 20 top and bottom, and looking at the dutchware chameleon, thoughts? However, as that is a chunk of change, I want to put off a tarp for a bit to recuperate, you guys think I could slide by with my sublink pro fly for a little bit? Or would it be too short?

Thanks again, and hello, looking forwards to getting to know some of you, maybe hiking with a few, and most of all, your knowledge.

- Jordon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While insulation is very important, an adequate tarp is even more important. I'm not sure what a sublink profly is (not listed on the website), but it's probably going to be a bit short for an 11 ft. hammock. Generally, speaking, you'll want a tarp at least as long as the hammock, and since the Chameleon is 11 ft. long, an 11 ft. long tarp would be appropriate. You might be able to get by with a ProFly, but they are not very wide, so blowing precipitation can be an issue.

The HG quilts and Dutch Chameleon are solid choices, though.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Just looking to get by hopefully without, right now at least, spending another 250 on a tarp. Any other good option you'd recommend?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Dutchware 11' wide hammock $30ish
    Superfly tarp $125ish
    Then hammock gear econ 20*'s sounds like a sweet setup
    It's what I use

Oh, the hammocks are that cheap? That Chameleon looks pretty sweet, but it said like 1 something, I like the idea of the take em' or leave em' tops being interchangeable. What do you use for bugs with your setup?

Hammock
    it varies too much to choose
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB and AHE
    Suspension
    whoopies or becket
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydoodle View Post
    Hello, I am from north west Washington...aside from my introduction, how about some pointers?
    Welcome to the forums, fuzzydoodle. Your suggestion of econ 20 degree top and bottom is solid. Those are good quilts at an excellent price point. Also check out AHE if you think you'd like synthetic. I have the Jarbidge and like it a lot.

For a hammock, lots of vendors make a netless basic hammock. I picked one up in 2014 thinking it would be a temporary learning tool and I'm still using it today. Off the top of my head, Dream Hammock, Warbonnett, Dutchware, AHE, SLD and others offer an open hammock with no net. Or get some fabric and sew up your own if you're at all handy with a sewing machine. My sewing skills are nearly non-existent but I've made one, plus some other stuff.

I like a netless hammock for the modularity it offers. You can add stuff to it and get it set up exactly as you please. I have two different bugnets for mine, one homemade Hug style bugnet and one bottom entry bugnet I got from Dutchware. AHE offers a Hug net or you can make it (I made mine - directions at www.theultimatehang.com). Dutch offers bottom entry bugnets.

The main thing is not to find the perfect gear, which is a never ending quest, but to get something, anything, and get outside to have fun.
    Cheers.

Ended up going dutchware chameleon in camo, with a pine printed top cover (that I wasn't as into as I thought I would be),a moss printed bug net, with a side sling. More than I wanted to spend, but I got a few hardware pieces as well to make some woopie slings.

20* econ hammock gear quilts in OD. Quite like it so far.

The hammock is ok, pretty bad ridge down the middle, only goes away if I'm COMPLETELY sideways in the hammock, but then it's kind of comfortable. The sidesling is cool for extra space, a lot of stuff kind of slides down, but that could be because I need my feet end higher maybe? I suppose I'll have to do some trial and error over the next few trips.

Now I just need to save for a tarp, that Bushwhacked Thunder fly is looking pretty nice. Any things I should consider?