Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Suspension
    Knot hardware

Hammock Gear Incubator Length Advice

Hi Hangers,

I have the wanting for a set of Hammock Gear Economy 20 Top and Bottom quilts. I mostly travel by motorcycle but sometimes bicycle so weight is not as big a concern as pack size.

At 5' 8" I think the Incubator short at 73" long would adequately cover my 68" height but I don't know how much if at all the length reduces when hung.

For the Top Quilt I will go with the standard length but wide Burrow which at 74" will allow me to tuck my head in for extra cosy and the wide for going to ground.

I'm hanging in a standard DW Chameleon.

Can anybody comment?

Cheers,
    Twig

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I personally pull my quilt over my head when I get a bit cold so I'd go for the next size up but if you do not want to do this then that length should suffice for your height.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Your topquilt seems fine with the extra 6''. I often feel that an extra 6'' is too long for my 20° since there's too much slack that causes the quilt to shift downwards. My 40° only has 1'' extra, but I can always bend my knees to tuck my head while I preheat. As a back sleeper, I never tuck my head when sleeping; a side sleeper might be fully tucked though.

On the other hand, your underquilt can probably be reduced if you use a pillow. A diagonal sleeping position also requires less length. Just work out the math formula and add a few inches to account for loft.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I am 5' 7" on a good day and have both short Incubators and Phoenix quilts. If I had it to do over again, I would only have the Phoenix because it's lighter (not a concern of yours), but also packs smaller, is less expensive and, to me, easier to set up correctly. Other people feel just the opposite, so it's something you'll just have to try and figure out for yourself. The good news is, if you buy one size and decide it's not for you, you can recoup most of your money by selling the quilt as long as it's a top quality piece which all the Hammock Gear stuff is. Since you're not too concerned about weight, whichever size you choose, go with the Econ version and save some $$$.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Suspension
    Knot hardware
    Thank you all very much for your responses. I have some thinking to do.
    That is an interesting comment about the Phoenix Clisbyclark as my original thought was for a Phoenix for the smaller pack size and thinking that the Burrow foot box would take care of my feet maybe with a sit pad or piece of closed cell foam. Any thoughts on that like how effective that setup would be and how much hassle it is?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have standard length Incubators. At 5'8", perhaps I could get by with shorter underquilts but, I have no complaints with the length I have. They fit packed in my ULA Ctalayst well for 5-7 day trips. They fit deployed under my WL LiteOwl.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    At 5'9" the short incubator works for me on paper. I had two for maybe 2 years and had varying success. I think I got lucky most nights. After awhile I kept failing completely. Cold butt and back. Nothing helped. I finally came to the conclusion that it was the design of the Incubator and the "leg shelf". It's great, but you really need to follow the advice on the HG website (I didn't). So I don't blame the quilt or HG at all.

After many frustrating nights and two ruined trips I bailed on (3.5hr drive), I called it quits. I sold both and went back to the standard length. No issues since, just like when I started hanging with standard lengths to start for a few years.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    I'm 7" taller and use their Incubator that's 5" longer and have no issues. I think you're fine there. I sleep both full length on my back which still provides good coverage at my feet. At your shoulder, you can tolerate it coming just at or above your shoulder as you'll have your pillow and head covering. My head has never been cold.
    Your top quilt is more flexible, up to your preference. You can always push it down or tuck up/in the material to suit your tastes and body position.

Good luck! HYOH !!

Mark

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Gear Incubator Length Advice

I'm 5 foot 7 and I'll be trying out a short incubator next winter. My current underquilt is a 60 inch loco libre habanero, and it covers me from shoulders almost to my feet - I usually side sleep with my knees slightly bent. I'm thinking the extra length if the short incubator will do me right. I feel like the standard length incubator is just overkill for me.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    Thank you all very much for your responses. I have some thinking to do.
    That is an interesting comment about the Phoenix Clisbyclark as my original thought was for a Phoenix for the smaller pack size and thinking that the Burrow foot box would take care of my feet maybe with a sit pad or piece of closed cell foam. Any thoughts on that like how effective that setup would be and how much hassle it is?
    I've only used my Phoenix/Burrow 40F combo down to the low 40s. With socks on, I didn't need anything else. I'm 6'1" and the Phoenix covers from just above my shoulders to just past my knees. I use an inflatable pillow for my head and have a Thermarest Z Seat that fits in the Burrow footbox. I've only used it once on a windy chilly night, more out of caution than anything.

Since you're looking at a 20F set and you bike/motorcycle camp, the weight savings isn't that critical. As far as pack volume is concerned, the Phoenix 20 (no overstuff) uses a 4.5L stuff sack, while the Incubator 20 (up to 1 oz overstuff) uses a 5.5L stuff sack. IMO, I'd just go with the Incubator over the Phoenix and keep the sitpad handy for cold spots.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast