Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Knotty mod to Sparrow

Curious if anyone has a DH Sparrow, and has done, or know if you can do a knotty mod to it? I know that the tie outs solve the same issue, however I am rather fond of the knotty mod method and how you can tighten and loosen it when in the hammock.

Curious if anyone has ever tried or considered this in the fold where the seam is under the zipper?

Cheers!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    That's a question for the Smurfs.. Not a bad idea, although they do address that issue with the optional tie outs on all models of their hammocks. The knotty mod would be a great option to have as well.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The Other option is to buy a netless wide hammock from Dutch, as he sells his netless hammocks with the knotty mod as an option for an extra $15.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I did reach out to them, and they said they were unable to do a knotty mod on any hammock that has zippers, which I am not trying to mess up their system.

The tie outs are a great option, just not a huge fan of tie outs. I use them sometimes, but prefer the knotty mod for a few reasons.

I know I can go the netless approach, but wanting to stick with Dream Hammock for two reasons. They use ripstop nylon, and they are in Ohio (home state gotta rep.) I know they have the Freebird, but like the options available with the Sparrow.

Was curious if anyone has attempted it after the fact, or if the channel is too small. I have done it to a cheap hammock I have with a zipper before, but not sure if DH is different in their methods that would prevent an elastic band from being slid through the channel.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    I did reach out to them, and they said they were unable to do a knotty mod on any hammock that has zippers, which I am not trying to mess up their system.

The tie outs are a great option, just not a huge fan of tie outs. I use them sometimes, but prefer the knotty mod for a few reasons.

I know I can go the netless approach, but wanting to stick with Dream Hammock for two reasons. They use ripstop nylon, and they are in Ohio (home state gotta rep.) I know they have the Freebird, but like the options available with the Sparrow.

Was curious if anyone has attempted it after the fact, or if the channel is too small. I have done it to a cheap hammock I have with a zipper before, but not sure if DH is different in their methods that would prevent an elastic band from being slid through the channel.
    Anything can be accomplished if you're comfortable with modifying an expensive, custom-made piece of gear (and voiding the warranty) . If the channel is small, you could use small-diameter shock cord instead of an elastic band for the knotty mod. The other option would be to sew a separate strip of fabric along the side of the hem (just underneath the zipper), and run your elastic/shock cord through that. In fact, that would probably be the easiest solution.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post

Zippers would seem to get in the way of the Knotty mod. This would take some sewing but perhaps requires an added panel of fabric sewed inboard of the zipper to hold the bungee channel. The panel height would take some experimenting to reach a balance between not interfering with zipper motion and providing adequate bungee tension. The way I see this, the bungee cord will tend to pull the edge of the hammock inward, but that shouldn't be any different than the original design.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone!

I currently have a hammock that was bought for me that I did a knotty mod to that has a zipper. I ran it through the channel below the zipper, and it works just fine. It may interfere a little when going to zip it, but its not much of a hassle, and while it does reduce the full effect of the knotty mod slightly, it does not bother me. I'm guessing the sparrow would effect it less as I would be getting a lighter fabric.

Going to order a Sparrow, just curious if anyone has done a knotty mod to them. Primary reason I don't like tie-outs is I am clumsy and find myself tripping over them. Plus I enjoy being able to set the hammock out I like it when laying in it. (I know, I'm lazy) Plus I don't always use a bugnet, so my gear falling out can get annoying.

If anyone has a Sparrow, and could tell me what the channel below the zipper runs (width) it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• + New Posts